Zee tags

Help Support CattleToday:

Rgv3180

Reaction score
We stared using zee tags 2 years ago.
Put large in one ear and calf size in other.
After one year all numbers wore off large tags, so glad we did small as they were still readable.
Year two,Just starting calving season and it seems like all small tags are gone. Numbers wore of large.
Anyopinion on the ink, quality of these tags. Longevity?

I have used Z tags for 20 years. The few preprinted tags I have used faded out after about 2 years. I write my own with the Z tag marker and blank tags, going over the number twice. Have some that have been in cows ear for 11 years and are still legible. One time I tried going over preprinted numbers with marker - didn't last 6 months. Retention has only been a problem with calves hooking them in woven wire fences. Cows rarely loose one - I would estimate 1% per year. Have not used calf size - just use the feedlot tags in calves.

I started using Richie tags and so far I have had no problems. I use pre-printed and also blanks, but someone on here recommended that if you are writing your own then putting them in the microwave for a few seconds helps the ink set better.

I use z tags and have had zero issue with fading, but for the record they make them with two different types of print. One is something like screen printed and is only good for a year or two per the manufacturer. The other is laser printed and is supposed to remain legible for life. I use the laser printed ones.

We use blank ones and draw the numbers on with the marker, using two coats. They last a long time that way. Plus when you draw your own, it's easier to replace #807 with #807 instead of having to change records.

Latest posts