Cattle Tags

Help Support CattleToday:

Kscattle":21b4pcf5 said:
I use z tags and for some reason the flap on the back of the tag is not going to the back of the ear and stays in front. I've lost one tag already and one I tagged tonight the flap didn't go thru the ear. What am I doing wrong?

I've had one do that when the calf jerked and I didn't squeeze hard enough. Just pushed it the rest of the way thru with my fingers. I started getting a little faster and squeezing harder with the applicator. Haven't had another problem.

Y-Tex for everything. Cows get tags numbered with the liquid ink and the calf tags I just use a marker. We don't lose very many tags, and I like the ability to reuse a tag if I want to.

I've used z tags for about three years now. The only ones I've lost ripped the cows ears when they get hung up in the brush.

We've got quite a few older cows here, they were tagged as 1 or 2 year olds and I've never replaced the tag. Some of them have had the same tag for 8-12 years...

Z-tags here as well. Two coats of ink really seems to work well to beat fading for me. I like them blank so I can number the calf to match the cow. Makes pairing to haul so much easier. I also like the z-tag feedlot tags better than the calf tags. Same size as cow tags but about half the cost.

We use Y-Tex un numbered. We tattoo each cow with their number, then write their number on their tag. First number is the last number of the year they were born. 2011 their number would start with 1...we have old 1's but you can tell the difference in a cow who is 10 years older so we dont worry about it unless we have a lot of say, 4s we keep and old 4s, just to keep the numbers different, we'll start the newly tagged with 450 and up..Anywho, when we get the cows up to worm, we go over their tags with new ink, if we cant tell what their number is we took at their tattoo.. If we cant read their number on either, we give them a new number but 4 numbers instead of 3, that way if we can find them in our records later, we can change it back when we get them up to worm whether it be on their tag or on the records.

Black and Good":1brksovh said:
Jake":1brksovh said:
Y-tex makes a gel that sinks into the tag and never fades. Works very, very well. I personally prefer using the engravable Ritchie tags.

Me too! I use Y-Tex for my calves. Then when a yearling heifer makes the group, I switch her to a Ritchie tag. But I still use the Y-Tex Button.

I also like they Temple tags. I might start trying them on the calves. B&G

I use Ritchey tags they stay flexible so they don't break. Also they never fade because the center of the tag is a different color.

Latest posts