Cattle Records

Help Support CattleToday:

I have always gone the card file and notebook route. I have records going back to 1972. They are very flexible, I even sometimes draw pictures.
I wonder if these computer records will be accessible for 10 years, much less over 50 years. Seems like everything I have stored digitally is more or less lost to me right now.

I have always gone the card file and notebook route. I have records going back to 1972. They are very flexible, I even sometimes draw pictures.
I wonder if these computer records will be accessible for 10 years, much less over 50 years. Seems like everything I have stored digitally is more or less lost to me right now.
I am still a paper person also. I'll print out stuff and get a highlighter out if I can.

We went to talk with a college last week and when I would ask a question the lady kept saying it's online... it's online... etc. Finally I told her, I'm about to spend thousands of dollars here and I can't even get a few pieces of paper?

The most handy thing I have seen lately is being able to share files like excel spreadsheets that other people can edit. That has been a big help because I can easily and cheaply get people to help to enter data. We can both be on a spreadsheet and working on it or talking on the phone as we look at it and what ever we need to do.

The reason I think they will do an excellent job saving our data is its their leverage for money. Every thing has a monthly subscription now. Our files are their cash cow.

Cows have a year number on their tag so can be seen at a glance and don't have to correlate letters for which year. Preg test, keep no open or late cows. Any who are dry for whatever reason after calving take a bus ride. Any who have bag or foot problems are noted in calving records and culled at preg test. Same for those who have a calf in dink pen at shipping. Make no excuses for your cattle.
One can waste time burdening themselves with too much information.

Calving book has birthdate, some birthweights if extreme, tag number and colour of calf and if any problems with mother. KISS

I also sell privately, & give the buyer the cow/steer/bull/heifer history sheet with a picture attached. My record keeping is almost identical to Brute 23's. I keep my records in a binder which I take to the pasture with me. I do most of my record keeping in the pasture while I'm hanging out with the cows.
Couple of years ago,. I met a man that raises black Simm x ChiAngus, and ChiAngus x black Simm replacement heifers. He has 30 Simm and 30 Chi-Ang cows. He started putting these together when he got out of the Army after serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. seems like he said 2005. Once he had what he wanted, he hasn't bought any more. Any cows he has that are not part of the originals he bought, are daughters of them. When a cow gets 10 yrs old, or maybe it is when she has 10 calves, he breeds her to a same-breed bull, that most closely matches that particular cow's attributes. These cows calve in December, and he weas them when the youngest reaches 180 days old. These 60 heifers are all pre-sold. He will deliver for a fee, or you have 2 or 3 weeks to come get them or lose your deposit. He has buyers on a waiting list, that will buy them , if you don't. One of my partners helped him with the weaning, etc, July 4th weekend of 2023. Clay contracted to get 20..10 of both crosses. He will get them probably July 4th weekend. When he sold some cows last month, he called the man and told him he wanted to buy some of the 2025 crop, but only 5 weren't already sold.

His prices are firm...don't matter if you want one or all sixty. Clay helped him 3 days at weaning last year, and he didn't discount those heifers one dime. Paid Clay very well for helping, but wouldn't even deduct Clay's pay from the price... he wanted to keep it two separate transactions

When he sells a heifer, you get a copy of the dam's and the bull's pedigree, EPDs etc. You get a record of the dam's previous calves' birth and weaning weights. On the heifer you buy, he gives you a written record of the DOB. birth weight, actual weight at weaning and the actual date of weaning, its entire vaccination, worming, and vet records, etc. And what his mineral program is and what he uses in the creep feeders. You will know every piece of pertinent info that you would know if you had raised her yourself. He has the cow and bull papers scanned in, and keeps the calf's records in a WORD ( I think) document...might be Excel. Probably takes him less than a minute to click on those 3 docs and print them out, and costs him 3 pieces of paper and a little printer ink. But, he sells these for more than any other commercial heifers I have seen, as much or more than a lot of registered stock.
I figure most of his clients are like me: I know nothing of Simm or ChiAngus bloodlines. If you raise Simms or ChiAngus, the names may mean something to those buyers. But, I think having all of this documented info builds trust and confidence, amongst his buyers, that this man produces some quality replacement heifers.

Not having a defined calving season does create a little more paperwork since you calculate off dates rather being able to look across a group or palp all at one time.

I started putting brands on heifers a while back for easy reference of their age. It will have their number like 77 that goes with their ear tag. Then under that their year of birth 9. So 77/9 is born in 19.

20210806_113222.jpg

Not having a defined calving season does create a little more paperwork since you calculate off dates rather being able to look across a group or palp all at one time.

I started putting brands on heifers a while back for easy reference of their age. It will have their number like 77 that goes with their ear tag. Then under that their year of birth 9. So 77/9 is born in 19.

View attachment 45033
LDR stands for Low Down Rancher?

Latest posts