Cattle producers' views of each other

Help Support CattleToday:

Rough'n'Ready Plantation

Reaction score
It seems to me that cattle producers are a lot more friendly to each other than producers in other industries, even though in reality we are competing against each other like all other businesses. So do you see other cattle producers as your friends, enemies, or somewhere in between? The more cattle producers, the more the supply curve shifts to the right, which means a lower price for all of us (assuming demand stays constant).

-Lee

Stick around and you will see that proved and disproved. I think you are right. Growing up my fathers friends were other farmers and mother hung around thier wives. Not to say they did not have other freinds that did other things.

Scotty

That's a good point, Scotty. A little time spent on the Breeds Board will be an eye opener.

The good ones are my friends. The bad ones need to drop off the face of the earth (or at least get out of livestock). The good ones all seem to really care about their animals. They check them, they give vet care, they pay attention to feed, they are always looking to improve, etc. - even the ones who say money is the bottom line. There is a sense of God, family, and values that you just can't find anywhere else. Family doesn't just mean your spouse, children, and parents either. There are many on hear that I would be happy to have in my family. I have never once thought about not helping another in any way because they were my competition. We help each other and let the chips fall where they may. I don't look at other cattle producers and think they are the reason the market is the way it is. I look at packers, consumers, etc for that. My feelings anyway.

"I don't look at other cattle producers and think they are the reason the market is the way it is."

thats the way i figure it. the cattle producers are all working to put out a product and even though if you looked at it on paper we are inb competition, you can't help but notice the people get a pat on the back for getting a good price at the saleyards.

I have always experienced a sense of community amongst the cattlemen I have worked with. As a breeder of seedstock,cattlemen were my customers not competitors,my slaughter stock was sold on contract for export to Europe.
The main competition in my opinion comes from cheap imports not neighbours.

Most small to moderate scale(0-1000 head) cattleman get along quite well. They know they are of slight competition to each other but love the commradery and friendship that goes along with being in the same line of work as others. It tends to be though that very very large corporate operations are the ones thought of as competition and therefore there tends to be mixed feeling for the people who own or head these operations. More often than not they are absentee owners or have another huge company to go along with the farming/ranching operation.

badroute":1oaxlgwl said:
Most small to moderate scale(0-1000 head) cattleman get along quite well. They know they are of slight competition to each other but love the commradery and friendship that goes along with being in the same line of work as others.

That sums it up fairly well for most of the folks in my area. However, as Farmhand stated, the bad ones, nobody gets along with (we/they all know who the "bad" ones are) and agree they should be out of the business because generally those are the folks who create problems for everyone else and just provide fodder for the PETA type folks.

Katherine

I don't think competition among cattle people is considered a factor when there is a beef shortage in this country. I do believe it is the kind of people who raise cattle that make it enjoyable.They are for the most part country folk who are wlling to help each other in a time of need and share the knowledge they have.

Rough'n'Ready Plantation":1vr6lasv said:
It seems to me that cattle producers are a lot more friendly to each other than producers in other industries, even though in reality we are competing against each other like all other businesses. So do you see other cattle producers as your friends, enemies, or somewhere in between? The more cattle producers, the more the supply curve shifts to the right, which means a lower price for all of us (assuming demand stays constant).

-Lee

In fact we DO NOT compete against each other. Most larger folks send their animals to sale and simply take what they are offered -the extreme vast majority of producers are price takers NOT price setters.

Only when producers are price setters will we be competitors.

Good folks are fun to be around and bad folk are to be avoided.

Bez!

Bez!":1opvppz3 said:
Rough'n'Ready Plantation":1opvppz3 said:

-Lee

In fact we DO NOT compete against each other. Most larger folks send their animals to sale and simply take what they are offered -the extreme vast majority of producers are price takers NOT price setters.

Only when producers are price setters will we be competitors.

Good folks are fun to be around and bad folk are to be avoided.

Bez!
Bez you sure said a mouthful that time. and i agree. the cattle farmers in my area are great. we are in a word one big family. every body chips in and helps. their all my mentors, people that i look to for guidence, best of all my neibors, and never once have i been turned down or let down. matter of fact there is times i'm scared i'm not measuring up.

Latest posts