Cattle Preg checking

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Does everyone in here know how to do the normal preg check and how hard is it to learn to be accurate? I was discussing this with another C.T. member that does not know how to preg check. I have been looking at different things on the internet and it appears there is a blood preg check you can do. Has anyone done that? What are some ways to confirm other than blood or the regular exam? Is there any? This is what I found online
http://www.biopregcheck.com/

P.S. If this is a duplicate post sorry I searched for pages and didn't see what I was looking for :tiphat:

i been in there after the vet and he has confirmed..i aint felt anything to know about..he knows at a golfball or less.

hook did the schooling he can tell ya from end to end abut the schooling

2.75 ea sounds cheap enough but still gotta draw blood. if you can do that w/o a vet you would be ahead

The blood test, just tells you yes or no. I can palpate a cow, but they are way in to their second trimester before i can tell. I use biopryn labs pretty regular.

Biopryn is easy to do yourself. We pull our bulls after a set breeding season and then wait 30 days and test. This way a yes or no is going to allow for a calf within our planned breeding season.

Bigfoot":1iiwzot7 said:
The blood test, just tells you yes or no. I can palpate a cow, but they are way in to their second trimester before i can tell. I use biopryn labs pretty regular.
Whats the earliest you can blood test for an accurate answer?

Anybody thinking of doing the biopryn, and not skilled with the vaccume tubes they send might as well do the following. Go to one of the vet supply web pages, and order a gross of 3cc needles. Pull blood with the needle, then squirt it in their container. Use a different needle every time of course.

I cheat and just use the guy that does thousands of head a year. He also gives expected breeding date based on feel. The only one he was really far wrong on (he saws to allow 2 weeks either side of the date he gives) was one year with Granny. She had settledto AI but he came up with much later breeding date. I still give him aa bad time about the 90 day premature calf that has turned out to be one of our best cows.

I was figuring to get a major tongue lashing because I didn't know how to preg check. Bigfoot so you blood test for pregnancy?

skyhightree1":116u9u0c said:
I was figuring to get a major tongue lashing because I didn't know how to preg check. Bigfoot so you blood test for pregnancy?

Yes, everytime a cow goes through a chute. especially heifers. Its cheap. Its about, what it cost to keep a cow for 2 days. Might as well know, as feed her for nothing.

Sky, the BioPRYN test runs $2.60 per animal. I buy collection tubes, syringes and needles by the box so my costs are as low as I can get them.

Bigfoot":1euayajx said:
skyhightree1":1euayajx said:

Yes, everytime a cow goes through a chute. especially heifers. Its cheap. Its about, what it cost to keep a cow for 2 days. Might as well know, as feed her for nothing.

Gotcha... Yea, I am going to start doing it. 8)

slick4591":1euayajx said:
Sky, the BioPRYN test runs $2.60 per animal. I buy collection tubes, syringes and needles by the box so my costs are as low as I can get them.

I am going to buy some so I can do the same. 8)

Soon as it stops raining I have to blood test four of them, if you're not using the vacuum tube and needle assembly make sure you change syringes and needles each time.

Send it in and they will email you the results.

BioPRYN is good.

It's hard to be good at palpation when you do it infrequently. I've done thousands, but it takes me about 50 head to warm up and "recalibrate" when I've had a few months off. Did about 75 in October and hadn't done a number of any significance since the past August (was doing about 200 a day that summer), and my skills kinda sucked. Granted they were all 36-42 day pregnancies, but still. If you're just talking about checking a dozen head a year, either go with BioPRYN or get someone who does it on a regular basis to check them.

I like both methods for various reasons. Some groups I know when I put the bull in and pulled him. So Im more concerned with pregnant or not. But since they are in the chute I palp them too just to stay in practice. Others that that bull runs full time, it's nice to palp them and stage the pregnancy. Am I back that up with a blood test too

skyhightree1":2oo6qdag said:
Does everyone in here know how to do the normal preg check and how hard is it to learn to be accurate? I was discussing this with another C.T. member that does not know how to preg check. I have been looking at different things on the internet and it appears there is a blood preg check you can do. Has anyone done that? What are some ways to confirm other than blood or the regular exam? Is there any? This is what I found online
http://www.biopregcheck.com/

P.S. If this is a duplicate post sorry I searched for pages and didn't see what I was looking for :tiphat:

Ultrasound.

fitz

Question...

If the lab test is good at 28 days, and palpitating only is possible at two months (at best) then would you not be far better off with the lab test, even at $5 per?

Thanks

Bigfoot":177h0drm said:

This is a question for fitz's response too.

AI tech said ultrasound at 30 days. Is that more accurate, easier, than blood test. I want to know ASAP as certain as possible if the cows took on AI, because for a lot of the reason (and stress and worries) if a cow/cows missed, I want to sync them again ASAP.
Note: won't be turned out to a bull during 30 days fyi

torogmc81":1nv0pp15 said:
Bigfoot":1nv0pp15 said:

This is a question for fitz's response too.

AI tech said ultrasound at 30 days. Is that more accurate, easier, than blood test. I want to know ASAP as certain as possible if the cows took on AI, because for a lot of the reason (and stress and worries) if a cow/cows missed, I want to sync them again ASAP.
Note: won't be turned out to a bull during 30 days fyi

Blood test at 28 days and breed on observed heat

Latest posts