Cattle Preg checking

Help Support CattleToday:

I have been using the blood test this past year and so far like it very well. Once u get the hang of where to stick the needle in its easy. My only problem is if I send one sample or 50 samples it cost 12.75 to get them shipped isn't bad if Iam sending several at a time but I bought a couple cows a few weeks back and drawed blood on them and sent it and the shipping was still 12.75

pricefarm":3leyg58y said:
I have been using the blood test this past year and so far like it very well. Once u get the hang of where to stick the needle in its easy. My only problem is if I send one sample or 50 samples it cost 12.75 to get them shipped isn't bad if Iam sending several at a time but I bought a couple cows a few weeks back and drawed blood on them and sent it and the shipping was still 12.75

You using Priority Mail?

slick4591":24rjf9nk said:
Sky, the BioPRYN test runs $2.60 per animal. I buy collection tubes, syringes and needles by the box so my costs are as low as I can get them.

Do u order your supply's online? Where at? I have been getting mine at tsc Iam sure there's some where cheaper. Thanks

I get all my supplies from Air-Tite. Theres shipping, but i order usually 500 of each at a time way cheaper than the kits.
Ship my blood for around 5 bucks flat fee at USPS if i ship it this morning i will have results tomorrow. From Nashville to Bowling Green

torogmc81":7dnov2xx said:
Bigfoot":7dnov2xx said:

This is a question for fitz's response too.

AI tech said ultrasound at 30 days. Is that more accurate, easier, than blood test. I want to know ASAP as certain as possible if the cows took on AI, because for a lot of the reason (and stress and worries) if a cow/cows missed, I want to sync them again ASAP.
Note: won't be turned out to a bull during 30 days fyi

A good vet can preg them at 32 days without an ultrasound and be accurate, though 35 is a safer cut off for a lot of vets that don't do a large volume or early pregging. There are synchronization protocols designed around an early preg check, a lot of them involve giving lut at time of preg check if you are sleeving them and therefore have an instant answer.

Early embryonic loss can be a challenge with blood testing, if an animal aborts, a vet will generally be able to call her open faster then she will become open on the blood test, takes some time for the protein tested for to clear the cows blood stream. It's a bigger deal in dairy cattle due to the large degree of early pregnancy loss. Also, there is no detection of twins with the blood test and sexing isn't possible, though you would have to wait til 60 days or so to have a vet sex them so it isn't as relevant when discussing early pregnancy detection.

Blood testing should prevent any fetal loss due to trauma from palpating, but that is very rare with an experienced palpator, especially when using ultrasound. Also, there are pregnancy tests that use a milk sample, but I don't think they can be utilized until 36 days bred or somewhere around that that time frame.

pricefarm":on6iq06a said:
slick4591":on6iq06a said:
Sky, the BioPRYN test runs $2.60 per animal. I buy collection tubes, syringes and needles by the box so my costs are as low as I can get them.

Do u order your supply's online? Where at? I have been getting mine at tsc Iam sure there's some where cheaper. Thanks

Yes. I get them from different sources like Valley Vet, Jeffers, etc... I shop around and check prices and buy in the larger quantities for lower prices. When I first started doing this Hook and some others told me to use a syringe at first till I got good at bleeding them.

slick4591":1diua909 said:
pricefarm":1diua909 said:

You using Priority Mail?

Been using ups. I send it North Carolina. If I drop it off before lunch it usaly gets there the next day and I have my results the day after that.

pricefarm":2z6za57f said:
Been using ups. I send it North Carolina. If I drop it off before lunch it usaly gets there the next day and I have my results the day after that.

I always just have a couple tubes to send and buy a cheap padded mailing envelope from the Dollar Store. Between the mailing and envelope I never spend over $4.00.

Please keep in mind that even a positive pregnancy does not always equal live calf...

There was a case where the embryo was sexed at 55 days and at 90 days, the producer asked to recheck the cow (he does this on a regular basis). She had lost the pregnacy. Both of us were really surprised, at the time I thought loosing an embryo at 55 days or more only occured in books...

skyhightree1":lppkwwul said:
I was figuring to get a major tongue lashing because I didn't know how to preg check. Bigfoot so you blood test for pregnancy?

After all that bragging about how much hay you think you've made I'm surprised too! How have you been checking them cows Cowboy??

It stopped raining this afternoon, so we pulled blood from 4 of the five (5th already tested) today. Three were really easy and one was tough as heck. :bang:

I think the little box about the size of a vcr tape is $10 shipping included. The lab in Moscow ID. has been very good to work with, always a tech to explain the results to someone that doesn't understand. Biopryn has helped.

It would cost $250 for the vet to come out to ultrasound.

Kingfisher":38yr6d3b said:
skyhightree1":38yr6d3b said:
I was figuring to get a major tongue lashing because I didn't know how to preg check. Bigfoot so you blood test for pregnancy?

After all that bragging about how much hay you think you've made I'm surprised too! How have you been checking them cows Cowboy??

funny guy no hay bragging.. I never tested my test was if I had a calf in 12 months after last 1. Since I'm buying barn cows wanted a way to check those.

With blood testing, you have to re-sort them days later after you get results back. And you can definitely get a false positive. It IS cheap, though, if you don't have many cows. We got tired of palpating and blood testing, and bought our own ultrasound machine. Safer and more accurate than palpation, and instant results. Plus very accurate aging, sexing, and twin detection.

skyhightree1":15oop7e8 said:
Kingfisher":15oop7e8 said:
skyhightree1":15oop7e8 said:

funny guy no hay bragging.. I never tested my test was if I had a calf in 12 months after last 1. Since I'm buying barn cows wanted a way to check those.

I thought you were going to raise some bottle calves? Now your buying "barn" cows? Don't they preg check em for the seller at your barn? Why don't you go get some of those private treaty cows that are breed?

Kingfisher":2js0kch0 said:

I thought you were going to raise some bottle calves? Now your buying "barn" cows? Don't they preg check em for the seller at your barn? Why don't you go get some of those private treaty cows that are breed?[/quote]

I am as well as 200-300lb calves cows whatever I think I can keep alive and make a buck. some barns preg check not all.

After all that bragging about how much hay you think you've made I'm surprised too! How have you been checking them cows Cowboy??[/quote]

funny guy no hay bragging.. I never tested my test was if I had a calf in 12 months after last 1. Since I'm buying barn cows wanted a way to check those.[/quote]

I thought you were going to raise some bottle calves? Now your buying "barn" cows? Don't they preg check em for the seller at your barn? Why don't you go get some of those private treaty cows that are breed?[/quote]
A man can do multiple things can't he? Old Sky is making money so many ways he probably don't have time to count it all.

Toad":3fxn9xnr said:
I thought you were going to raise some bottle calves? Now your buying "barn" cows? Don't they preg check em for the seller at your barn? Why don't you go get some of those private treaty cows that are breed?

A man can do multiple things can't he? Old Sky is making money so many ways he probably don't have time to count it all.[/quote]

A good buddy who I will call RIBBIT taught me that ;-) I am trying to be like RIBBIT when I grow up.

I also use Air-Tite for supplies. I use the 3 cc syringes from them that come with a needle. A hundred of them is about $30.00. I use Cattle Stats in OKC for a lab. They email the results in a couple days and send you a hard copy in the regular mail. It is a simple process that has saved me a bundle. I test mine a couple weeks before the bull is moved and if a cow is open, she either moves with the bull or moves down the hi-way.

Latest posts