cattle pen design

Help Support CattleToday:

saltbranch

Reaction score
Anyone have any pics or drawings to share. Looking to build a small set of pens, about 30 head at most. Found some ideas searching the forums, just seeing if something else is posted.

Thx

I based mine off of this design it worked well for 37 head of momma cow's/
http://www.cps.gov.on.ca/english/bc1000/bc1831.htm.
I added an additional 12 feet on the other side of gate one with a gate on each end to drive through and unload cattle.
It also serve's as an addtional holding pen. I didn't put the angled loadout chute on it. I also added two more gate's in the chute to cut with. I built the loadout through gate 7 built a chute you can back the trailer in and open the gate.
Hope this help's

I like my working pens to have no 90 degree turns in it. This might be something you consider when sketching it out. I would like to take the time to learn how to post pictures. My tub is really inexpensive, and works well. I am also no big fan of panels. I use pressure treated post with pressure treated 2 x 8's. You can taller for little extra expense this way. Mine is a little over 7 feet. I build my own gates the regular tube gates are too tempting for then to jump. Just an OCD thing of mine against weeds I wet mine with crossbow a few times a year.

Bigfoot":83ft5r9a said:
I like my working pens to have no 90 degree turns in it. This might be something you consider when sketching it out. I would like to take the time to learn how to post pictures. My tub is really inexpensive, and works well. I am also no big fan of panels. I use pressure treated post with pressure treated 2 x 8's. You can taller for little extra expense this way. Mine is a little over 7 feet. I build my own gates the regular tube gates are too tempting for then to jump. Just an OCD thing of mine against weeds I wet mine with crossbow a few times a year.

Good point as when I built mine it has no corner's everything is 45 degreed in "the corner".

saltbranch":3st4cwna said:
Anyone have any pics or drawings to share. Looking to build a small set of pens, about 30 head at most. Found some ideas searching the forums, just seeing if something else is posted.

Thx

Salt, most of us tend to think in terms of boxes and rectangles, complete with 90 degree corners. There is a completely different way of desigingn even a small system that will allow you to work your cattle very calmly and without a lot of stress - no stock caught in a corner, no need to hit them with a hot shot or throwing bricks and sticks to get them to move. You can often even work them yourself, if designed properly. Check out http://www.grandin.com/ . Good luck!

We have a set of big pens on the home place that are 60 some odd years old that I use am and use to. Recently helped a friend work cattle and will try to attach pic, worked good except I would 45 corners so the cattle cant turn so easy.

pens.png

Thoughts?

James T":1abibtxl said:
saltbranch":1abibtxl said:

Thx

Salt, most of us tend to think in terms of boxes and rectangles, complete with 90 degree corners. There is a completely different way of desigingn even a small system that will allow you to work your cattle very calmly and without a lot of stress - no stock caught in a corner, no need to hit them with a hot shot or throwing bricks and sticks to get them to move. You can often even work them yourself, if designed properly. Check out http://www.grandin.com/ . Good luck!

I was taught longtime ago, no loud noises, no hotshots,bull whips etc. Firm believer in working cattle quiet and keeping them calm. Have let them set in the pens over night after penning them up to calm down if needed. We dont keep cattle that are wild anymore as we have worked on foot for 15 plus yrs now. Just a part time operation with gentle cattle, get rid of the wild ones.

^ My pen is designed just like that LSU one. How in that design do you keep the cows from moving toward your swinging gate hinges instead of the chute?

Douglas":251qdtaz said:
^ My pen is designed just like that LSU one. How in that design do you keep the cows from moving toward your swinging gate hinges instead of the chute?
Not sure I'm understanding the question. Are you referring to the gates in the alley?

Oklahoma State Extension had a book on corral design that had several plans in it. I bought one several years ago and found it helpful.

heath":1rb5i6ug said:
Douglas":1rb5i6ug said:
Not sure I'm understanding the question. Are you referring to the gates in the alley?

The swinging gate in the crowding pen. See LSU link above. When you sweep the cows around they tend to refusd to go up the chute and toward the corner when the sweeping gate hinges.

Douglas":1i6sg0vm said:
heath":1i6sg0vm said:
Douglas":1i6sg0vm said:

The swinging gate in the crowd wing pen. See LSU link above. When you sweep the cows around they tend to refusd to go up the chute and toward the corner when the sweeping gate hinges.

After I set the posts and was welding it up I noticed the corner
it creates. I haven't had an issue with cows refusing to go in the alley. My plan to fix is to ad a post and fill in the space. In my drawing, the spotted line is where I might add if a problem starts.
2012-09-02153516.jpg

put your pivot for that gate onto the corner of the hashed line. Take the rounded corner out of the bottom left and make it square. Put in a gulotine going into the narrow chute on the left. Now you have a medina if the guilotine is closed. You can push them into the guilotine if you want with a head gate on the end. Your cut gate can squeeze down into a triangle on the medina side.

backhoeboogie":2vynyy05 said:
put your pivot for that gate onto the corner of the hashed line. Take the rounded corner out of the bottom left and make it square. Put in a gulotine going into the narrow chute on the left. Now you have a medina if the guilotine is closed. You can push them into the guilotine if you want with a head gate on the end. Your cut gate can squeeze down into a triangle on the medina side.
Sounds like alot of cutting and welding to help the odd cow that can't find the hole. :)

heath":1z87iz9p said:
backhoeboogie":1z87iz9p said:
Sounds like alot of cutting and welding to help the odd cow that can't find the hole. :)

Maybe too late now. You can do a whole lot with a medina. Less stress on the cow. If she does not need to be in a head gate, I don't put them in one. If she needs to be in a headgate, I have that option. Options are always better. That "one odd cow" can eat your lunch and waste your time too. You can get one that works fine for spring and summer workings for the past 5 years, then on the next one............

I can promise, at some point, he's gonna wish he had the option. Talk to any vet who has worked thousands, he's seen them go down in a squeeze. Most have lost a few. If they did not need to be in there, why take the risk?

I can see your point. But, if the cow is already in the sweep, she is gonna have a hard time getting to you to eat your lunch. My chute's side swings open, so it can be used like a medina.

heath":20gd0mer said:
I can see your point. But, if the cow is already in the sweep, she is gonna have a hard time getting to you to eat your lunch. My chute's side swings open, so it can be used like a medina.

My portable is curved all the way to the left corner and the gate closes into that corner. That gate can be used as a cut gate on the outside of the curve and pivots about 220 degrees or so. The cows go through the guilotine into the chute. I like it. Vets have tried to buy my portable unit on more than one occasion. He drew a picture and asked for advice. I offered what I would do in his situation. No more than that.

Saw a tub the other day that had a curved panel at the corner of the alley. Most have the gate in the center of the tub. The curved panel should stop those bovines that must head into that wedge created by the center pivot gate. The curved panel was not sheeted. I did not see the set up in use.

Ever think of a Bud box instead of a tub?