cattle ownership: personal property vs. business assets

Help Support CattleToday:

brihop

Reaction score
Do ya'll recommend forming an LLC to own cattle and build a herd, or do you just consider them personal property and not fool with maintaining/reporting as a business? I only have 12 cows but plan on growing. However, I do have an LLC on the books already (personal business that never really got legs). No busy roads around, so don't need incorporation for risk/liability reduction. However, maybe purchase of cows as business property could be a deductible expense come tax time? ...What are your thoughts?

On my end I consider it a business and file a schedule C on my taxes for the farm. My concrete business is an LLC but the farm is not. I probably should since its easy to do and only costs like 100 bucks. When 30-40 grand get spent I consider that business and not a hobby of say a few thousand dollars.

To me it would depend on how much money you plan on making with the cattle cause if you form an LLC you are going to add additional accounting costs for the additional return then this will be kicked back on your personal return. If you have a larger strategy that involves estate planning and stuff I'd do the LLC otherwise I'd keep it simple as possible.

shadyhollownj":asg2xul0 said:
On my end I consider it a business and file a schedule C on my taxes for the farm. My concrete business is an LLC but the farm is not. I probably should since its easy to do and only costs like 100 bucks. When 30-40 grand get spent I consider that business and not a hobby of say a few thousand dollars.
You should be filing a sched F, not a sched C!

I'm the oposite of Jogeephus. I've kept it as simple as I could for as long as I could and my whole life got plopped down on the accountant's desk in one folder for years and I've paid dearly for that simplicity. I wish I would have seperated everything right from the start. It would have made my life simpler(by way of a happier sexcratary/wife) and it would have cut my accountants bill in half.

There's only around 75 head in the pasture. Can't rationalize buying a tractor and leasing it to my corp etc. Same with the truck. No way to fly under the radar.

There are no money benefits or tax benefits. The only way you would maybe need and LLC is if you have a lot of assets or wealth oustide of your cattle operation. That away if by some chance your cattle operation got sued they won't take the $5M you have in the bank or in another business.

cow pollinater":k0ldpd0r said:
I'm the oposite of Jogeephus. I've kept it as simple as I could for as long as I could and my whole life got plopped down on the accountant's desk in one folder for years and I've paid dearly for that simplicity. I wish I would have seperated everything right from the start. It would have made my life simpler(by way of a happier sexcratary/wife) and it would have cut my accountants bill in half.

Sounds like you kept it too simple. :lol2:

Forming another entity isn't going to solve anything but will only increase your overall tax filiing costs. Good record keeping is essential to any method you choose. Its just as effective to open a "farm account" and keep all your farm related stuff in there and this can be filed on the schedule F along with your personal return. If you have a corporation you will have to first complete this and file this return and then kick out the K1 form for your personal. If you get the first screwed up then your personal return will be messed up and you will have to deal with the IRS and state on two fronts to get it fixed. The other problem with having a corporation is the temptation to comingle money from time to time. To loan one money when it needs it. Its your money so it only seems reasonable that you could do this but this is a red flag and is not something they like you to do and can cause problems. Also, don't know if this is still the case, there for a while there was a lot of abuse in LLC's and these were auditted more frequently than other things.

IMO, unless you have some major assets you need to do some estate planning on or if you are open to some substantial risk, I wouldn't form another entity. In fact, if I had it to do all over again I wouldn't let anyone know I even owned a cow.

Just for the fun of it call the IRS office Monday and ask a simple question. After you wait an hour or so and you speak to one of the brilliant affirmative action hire they employ then make the decision if its safer to have one bird in the covey or several.

brihop":1x6ovgn9 said:
Do ya'll recommend forming an LLC to own cattle and build a herd, or do you just consider them personal property and not fool with maintaining/reporting as a business? I only have 12 cows but plan on growing. However, I do have an LLC on the books already (personal business that never really got legs). No busy roads around, so don't need incorporation for risk/liability reduction. However, maybe purchase of cows as business property could be a deductible expense come tax time? ...What are your thoughts?
Purchasing cows already is a deductible or depreciable expense....as is buying anything related to their upkeep.

So even if I don't form a business entity, I should be claiming the purchase of cattle as a deduction on my personal tax filing? (as well as lease payment, supplies, etc?)

brihop":9vjpdoeg said:
So even if I don't form a business entity, I should be claiming the purchase of cattle as a deduction on my personal tax filing? (as well as lease payment, supplies, etc?)

Yeah, the whole ball of wax. Feed, medical, etc... Don't forget to report your sales as well or IRS will shut you down one of these days.

brihop":38goi9gb said:

I'm a small operator and like bbirder posted earlier, a schedule F should cover your situation. If you have someone prepare your returns they should be able to walk you through it. You want an accountant that knows farming.

fitz

Keep it simple; especially if you and/or your spouse have off-farm jobs. Do the schedule F, making sure to document all expenses identified on the schedule F form as well as l farm income.

There's a very good chance you would probably show a loss on the schedule F; especially if you have bought any equipment or "big ticket" items for farm use, or depreciation if you are still paying for the farm. The farm loss shown on the schedule F would help to reduce your overall income thereby reducing your tax liability.

The key is keeping all receipts and organizing them into the correct deduction category to satisfy the IRS. Which brings up another important point. Try to find a tax preparer person that has farming or rancher experience; he or she will know of many more allowable deductions that those hired by the big chain preparation corporations.

I have an "off-farm" job and I lease the land on a per head basis. My expenses have been just purchase of cattle, the annual pasture lease on non-calf bearing heifers and material costs. One issue is, I don't have receipts for materials, the land owner buys them and I pay him (however that cost is relatively minimal). I'm building and retaining heifers so only one calf sold, as we're splitting calf crop on producing cows and I get dibs on my heifer calves and land owner takes his share from my bull calves, therefore the one calf sold. All I have is unofficial looking bill of sales for the cattle and email acknowledgement for lease payment. Total expense/investment so far about $6.5k... chump change to most on this board, I know. Could I be inviting more trouble than the tax deduction is worth?

brihop":3b88113k said:
I have an "off-farm" job and I lease the land on a per head basis. My expenses have been just purchase of cattle,179 expense against profits, depreciate the rest the annual pasture leaseSchedule F, rent/other on non-calf bearing heifersasset, if bought see above, if raised then nothing for now and material costs. Depends if it's a capital improvement or if you have enough profit to expense outright. Most would fall under supplies or repairs. One issue is, I don't have receipts for materials,bad record keeping, at least write a check and document on the memo line what it was for. Only you can fix this the land owner buys them and I pay him (however that cost is relatively minimal).again pay by check and document, I'm building and retaining heifers so only one calf sold, as we're splitting calf crop on producing cows and I get dibs on my heifer calves and land owner takes his share from my bull calves, therefore the one calf sold. basically no income and no expense. That's ok, the one calf sold is farm income reported on Schedule F All I have is unofficial looking bill of sales for the cattle and email acknowledgement for lease payment.May get confusing here...but lease payment was paid with bull calves so no $ changed hands. You had an equal amount of expense to offset an equal amount of income. Here I would make an entry in a cash account journal that I received X amount for calves "sold" and "paid rent" for X amount. It's a zero sum game but it's CYA record keeping. Initially the IRS doesn't want to see your itemized expenses but you do need reasonable records to back up your numbers in the event they do come asking. Total expense/investment so far about $6.5k... chump change to most on this board, I know.everyone starts somewhere Could I be inviting more trouble than the tax deduction is worth?NO...you could have more trouble if your are not reporting income. Study up on Schedule F, Schedule D, Form 4797. It's all in the IRS Publication 225 - Farmers Tax Guide.
Talking to a tax adviser with experience in this area is well worth the time and expense.....which is also a legitimate expense.

Turns out that the big city accountant is the son of a big Minnesota dairy farmer, so he had a great understanding of things. A good year, some large charitable contributions, and ya'lls advice on the sched F netted me a handsome return... thanks a lot for the input guys!

I hope you didn't save to much of your money cause there are those still needing cell phones AND Dotgov is now giving out free computers and someone needs to pay for these neccesities.

Latest posts