Cattle naming?

Help Support CattleToday:

J7

Reaction score
Here's a newbie question for ya. When I used to show Brangus for a local registered operation the cattle had some weird names consisting of letters and words. Always seemed odd to me, but I never asked the owner why they were named that way. To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, last years California State Fair's Grand Champion Angus bull was named "Five Star 0014 Ambush 3060" owned by Five Star Land & Livestock and son of "Five Star 645 Ambush 1034".

What kind of naming convention is this?

J7":3mp9fjpk said:
Here's a newbie question for ya. When I used to show Brangus for a local registered operation the cattle had some weird names consisting of letters and words. Always seemed odd to me, but I never asked the owner why they were named that way. To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, last years California State Fair's Grand Champion Angus bull was named "Five Star 0014 Ambush 3060" owned by Five Star Land & Livestock and son of "Five Star 645 Ambush 1034".

What kind of naming convention is this?

J7, the numbers are probably serial or ID #'s of some sort. Seems alot of bulls are given the name of their sire and a different # so's to tell em apart. I have much more sophisticated names for my group, like Missy, Bess, and Sampson :D

george

I guess there's a certain protocol for using names and numbers with some breeds. Naming our calves almost always starts an argument here....we've got an informal agreement where we try to take turns with picking names, but if the other person strongly disagrees, we've got to find something that we both like....(of course, the names I pick are always better, ha!).

This year's calves are: Melinda (after the young vet who AI'd the mama, her first official AI after becoming a vet), Loreena (after singer Loreena McKennitt), Kate (after the vet who hired the vet who AI'd the mama), Bounce (cause she got a little hypothermic a couple of hours after birth but bounced back after being warmed up in our kitchen with towels and a hairdryer), Buttercup (the field was full of them when she was born), and Cinco (born on May 5). Our cows know their names and I can walk by a pasture, holler out "Fat Mama, where's your baby?" and she'll look at me, then look around and moo at her baby and then I know where the calf is (her calves like to sneak under the fence to nap in the woods...so Fat Mama and Buttercup just spent 5 days in the "Ain't OK Corral").

The Dexter registry has a limit of 21 letters and spaces. Do other registries have a limit?

Our grand kids usually name the calves right after they hit the straw...except for #47 they couldn't find a name that fit that one.
This fall we'll call him profit!

Yes.. Brahman and Simmental associations all have limits to the length of the name.

Many times the calves name has some component of the sire / dams name or number in their name. In Brahmans, the private herd number is part of the registration number.

The calves are named with a letter following the cows number. ex:201a, 201b, then their calves follow with a number. 201a1, 201a2. It may not be the best method but I know who they belong to.

TheBullLady":2drzcpwe said:
Whoops! I meant "part of the registration NAME". :oops:

Yeah, on the registration name we try to use the sire's name in there somewhere somehow. On the ranch we have several naming conventions. One is first impressions. Like I have one named Butthead as she was always butting the other cows around until I put her in with the big ones that butted back. We recently started the herbs and spices route for those that will remain pets. The others are just called cows.

j7: There was some discusion on this topic a time ago. If you go to the top of the page and click on search and then type in "naming" then click on search you will get all the threads where naming was discussed.
:cboy:

flaboy":1qirkmgu said:
TheBullLady":1qirkmgu said:
Whoops! I meant "part of the registration NAME". :oops:

Yeah, on the registration name we try to use the sire's name in there somewhere somehow. On the ranch we have several naming conventions. One is first impressions. Like I have one named Butthead as she was always butting the other cows around until I put her in with the big ones that butted back. We recently started the herbs and spices route for those that will remain pets. The others are just called cows.

Strange, we alwasy have a couple we call "butthead" but not for the same reason you do

dun

The Scottish Highland Registry also has a limit on the # of characters and spaces in a name. Its also 21.

My cows all have names.....

The Cows....
Patience
Cheyenne
Athena
Lila
Khirsah
Jessan
Eowyn
Coresan
Goldie

The Bulls...
Lachlan of Hemloch
Darkwind

last years Calves.....
Jaimie- Named after our vet who was killed the day before she was born in a haying accident.
Aurora
Trevalin
Hawkeye

This years calves....
Lady Mayhem
Anna
Silverblade
Gryphon
Bayle

When my kids were younger and would ask the name of a particualar cow I always told them that the was "Blacky" or "Old Red" depending on the color. Later my twin daughters got a hamster and were going to use my method of naming it but they wanted to use their favorite color. Unfortunately they couldn't agree on what was their favorite, and the tan colored hamster was officially named "Purple and Blue".

I had a calf last year that had the scours. I went to give him a pill. He had been nursing on his mom from behind and mom was on fresh spring grass. After that I called that calf s**thead.
It is also important to treat a bull with respect, so I call the bulls "Mr. Bull".

Dave

Dave":gxg76k3o said:
I had a calf last year that had the scours. I went to give him a pill. He had been nursing on his mom from behind and mom was on fresh spring grass. After that I called that calf s**thead.
It is also important to treat a bull with respect, so I call the bulls "Mr. Bull".

Dave

Hey Dave, I have a lot of them by that name. Sometimes even those with other names are called by that name.

I only have two breeder bulls. Both answer to "Bull". Fortunately they are in different fields. You call them anything else and they pay absolutely no attention. I suppose I should show a little respect and cal them Mr. huh?

I don't know anything about naming cattle but, I have a jackass named caustic.

Latest posts