Cattle naming?

Help Support CattleToday:

Other than our few registered cattle, they get the usualy names like everyone else gives...Frosty-short on ear, Hopper-got stepped on as a youngin, Watcher-that's what she does when you enter the pasture, Mother-the calf stealer, Jump-never stays where you put her, Forrest-As in "run Forrest, run", Blue-tag color, Gunner-calf that wants to kill ya at 1 day old, and so on. Then there are those that are just a number, 19 is my favorite.

I bought a reg limo bull and the guy let me name him, I called him "Madison Mike P05" (he came from Madison County, the owners first name was mike and he added the tattoo P05). The two reg brangus bulls were already named Cash and Chunk so that's their barn names.

The other 3 black angus bulls aren't registered but have the first name of whom they were bought from.

We lease bulls in this area so that is why I have so many.

The cows aren't registered, "Goldy" because she is a golden color (charx),
Maggie (charx) with a calf named Puff (from Puff the Magic Dragon) Puff is white like a puff of smoke,
Buffy (charx) with ba calf Rascal,
Red (red angus) and Fancy (golden charx) share a ba bull calf named Lucky (he's lucky cause he's got two mommas, he needed the extra milk and Fancy had a breech birth lost her calf and Red I'm fattening up to ship her as she had a prolapsed uterus so then Lucky will have Fancy to finish him out) ,
Nanny (black baldy, gelbviah cross I think) , Annie (charx heifer 7 mo old got the name from Little orphan annie as her momma died when she was 2 months) and then there's a black baldy bull calf 3 months old (bottle calf) that thinks he's a dog and the neighbor calls him "booger butt" and I call him Boogie.

NEVER buy a bull calf bottle calf (unless you can keep him as a bull)..... the neighbor/best friend has informed me I can't sell him and I'm hoping by the time he gets 800 pounds she'll change her mind.... so now I've gotta buy a couple heifer bottle calves so I'm hoping she'll get attached to them and at least I can get a return on my money in a couple of years).

I'm hoping to have at least 20 cows by this fall (prefer the golden charx) and I'm picky about what I want....quality over quantity.

I tend to name em based on their personality/color.

We usually name the heifers with the first being the number year. This year is R. So we have Rosie, Rachel, Ramonica, and Ronda. Depending on who owns the cow, the kids usually do the naming of all the calves.

I bought my cows in pairs so I named the 1st pair Thelma and Louise. The wife named the second pair Laverne and Shirley.

Sometimes we'll name the keeper heifers after grandchildren but normally we just wait until something seems to fit them. We have one almost every year thats called "Hamburger". Here are a few samples of their names.

High-Low - One horn sticks up, the other hangs down.

Lonesome - She's always hanging out by herself ~ 100 yds. from the herd.

Kodachrome - She was pretty as a picture when she was born.

Jumping Queen - Jumped a 5 1/2 foot Gate as a yearling.

;-)

MoGal":o5kyoui1 said:
NEVER buy a bull calf bottle calf (unless you can keep him as a bull)..... the neighbor/best friend has informed me I can't sell him and I'm hoping by the time he gets 800 pounds she'll change her mind.... so now I've gotta buy a couple heifer bottle calves so I'm hoping she'll get attached to them and at least I can get a return on my money in a couple of years).

Well I guess I missed something here. What does your neighbor have to do with keeping your bottle bull?

Well, she's been feeding it as well and has become attached to it. It follows her all over the place. Although my friend will be 65 this week, she's just a big kid at heart and loves all babies.

Animals have a way of staying here from nigh on..... that's why I keep most of the cows in a rented pasture. This is strictly a business endeavor for me and I want them to make a profit for me.

I'm hoping by the time he gets about 800 pounds she'll change her mind, that's he isn't so cute anymore.

MoGal":315b7z30 said:
Well, she's been feeding it as well and has become attached to it. It follows her all over the place. Although my friend will be 65 this week, she's just a big kid at heart and loves all babies.

Animals have a way of staying here from nigh on..... that's why I keep most of the cows in a rented pasture. This is strictly a business endeavor for me and I want them to make a profit for me.

I'm hoping by the time he gets about 800 pounds she'll change her mind, that's he isn't so cute anymore.

Ok, I got it. I tell my GF everytime I get a new critter "get attached as much as you want but understand, if it don't produce or grow off, I'm putting wheels under it and don't say I didn't warn you". She understands but doesn't always like it. If it is a business you just have to lay down the rules up front.

The Simmental breed has a limit of 24 characters.
We name everything starting with our prefix of Simme Valley than I usually pick a name starting with the letter for the years' tattoo. Like this year is the letter R.
So I have Simme Valley Razzmatazz, etc. Although, this year we have named some using Macho as the prefix - Macho's Rochelle.
By using the year letter, I can easily remember when they were born & what other herdmates were born at the same time period. Just my fun way of picking names.

When we had the goat dairy we used the farm name as the prefix and flower names starting with the letter for the year for the does and weed names starting with the letter year for bucks.
Since we may start doing the registered deal with the Red Angus I figured we pretty much do the same except just female tye names for the cows, or a name that fits, i.e. Looney (who is actually named after one of the grandaughters) and the steers would still be catch as catch can.

dun

Freezer. (Ours)

Trailer bait. (All of those that are leaving)

Burger bait. (Any old cow)

Sale barn. (Anything that causes probs)

Neghbours freezer. (Nuff said)

Food bank. (The ones we toss to charity)

Bez

My first 2 Hereford cows:

Mary Lou (after my first ex-mother-in-law)

Barbara Anne (After my sister-in-law)

I think the therapy is starting to work now, so my next cows might have
a little less passive aggressive names :p

For real, they are #DW001-ml and #DW002-ba just to have a "Part Number", but I dont call them that :)

Latest posts