Cattle Medicine Chest, what to keep on hand for emergencies?

Help Support CattleToday:

snsfarms

Reaction score
I have been told to keep:
LA200
Anti inflamatory
Needles & Syringes
Epinphrine
Mineral Oil
Alcohol
Iodine
Electrolytes
Nulflor

What else would a person need to keep to help treat your animal till the vet can arrive :?:

The first thing I would do is lose the LA200, and replace it with a long acting penicillin - much more effective in my experience. I would also swap out the Nuflor for Baytril for the same reason. Since your list mentioned electrolytes, I'm assuming you run cow/calf pairs? If that is true, I would make sure I had scour med's of some kind, an esopheageal feeder, as well as a small (16 oz, or so) and regular bottle on hand. I would also have a regular calf nipple, as well as a sheep nipple available. I would make sure I had 16 guage needles, as well as 18 guage needles on hand.

We also like to keep the sulfur or sustain boluses around, they are something that can be used in a variety of situations, and a metal baling gun to administer them. We do like the LA200, for things like pinkeye or footrot.

Also, for baby calves, some type of colostrum supplement and scour pills.

good question!

We also like to keep the sulfur or sustain boluses around, they are something that can be used in a variety of situations, and a metal baling gun to administer them. We do like the LA200, for things like pinkeye or footrot.

Also, for baby calves, some type of colostrum supplement and scour pills.

good question!

For your anti-inflammatory/pain relief med, I'd suggest Banamine and possibly Predef2x as well.

For calves, I like the SMZ/TMP tablets; they're sulfas for a variety of uses and I like them combined with oxytet (LA200) for scours.

i think what you have on hand would also depend on the time of year. If you calve all year round then you need everything. But if you calve at a specific time then you need to make sure you have what you need for calving and scour treatments. Seem to go hand in hand. As well as pnemonia just incase and ecoli.
then for the summer and the winter you've got pnemonia and foot rot and pink eye to worry about so your med chest should reflect that.
Don't forget about vaccinations as well.

We have 2 doctor bags.
One is emergency for calving A fanny pack. In it are two calving chains, a OB triangle, calf tape measure, epinephrine and dophram.
Then we have a red tool box and that changes witht the seasons.
Calving...
A&D, E/sel, Iodine squirt bottle for navels, rings, ringer, tagger, la200, anafin, nuflor, atravet(for whacky cows) oxytocin, lut, several packages of needles for cows and calves, syringes, each labeled for each drug, and an old asprin bottle to put used needles in, alcohol, small latex gloves, and asprin. if scours hit then we add trimidox, a sulfa infejecable and calfspan a sulfa bolus that works for three days. Tool box can get heavy sometimes. As well as a log book for treatments other than the ADE/sel.

then we have a rubbermade tub with 2 boxes of gloves, one shoulder length and one wrist length, mineral oil, 4 litres of iodine and extra rubbing alcohol, tags, extra syringes, halter, after calf boluses, just incase. two bags of the green bagged colostrum and two of the red. One bag is if the calf has had none and the other is if the calf had some but the mother did not have enough. then there is a calf bottle and nipple. As well as a tube feeder for calves and one for cows a hollow stainless steel tube(from a vaccuuum cleaner for tubing cows. They have a habbit of biting off the tube and swallowing it.Fishing for it is not fun) And finally 2-3 three bags of electrolyes. Oh yeah spare chain and triangle just in case, and a small feed pail and scrub brush for used only for scrubbing chains and the back side of the cow with bedadine solution
I know alot but we calve 1/4 mile from home and that seems so far away in an emergency. and we live 1/2 hour from the vet so we have everything we need just in case. As well as the vet on speed dial on the cel phone.
then the tool box changes when vaccinating...add epenephrine take out several thing add a few more.
If treating for scours or pnemonia then it changes again with what we need the drugs.

I agree with all the above. I also like to keep on hand lactated
ringers for dehydration. I also like to have vitamin b 12 and selenium (mu-se)

Yikes! I should be so organized that I'd have that all in a tool box! :roll:

Don't forget the Bloat Guard.. and the injectable calcium for milk fever. And a scalpul comes in handy as well.

good reminder Bull Lady.i got so tired of going home to get stuff so the tool box idea came from my time in hotel kitchens. We all had to have our own tool box to hold our own knives and tools of the trade.
Rosebud, what is hand lactating ringer? simillaer to electrolyes and drench bag?
As well it's funny we all call selinium different. In MB we are E/sel or dystol. On th boards I've seen bose and now what you wrote mu-se. wonder if they are different ingredients?

In addition to a tool box I have a large fishing tackle box for the smaller stuff. I use la200 and have had been pleased with it. The key is to use it early. Mostly the tool box is stuff for working em. I just roll it over near the squeeze and everthing I need is closeby. For the meds I have a cooler that will sit on a popup shelf of the toolchest. Making dividers for the cooler keeps bottles of meds upright.

snsfarms":1ysva357 said:
LA200
Anti inflamatory
Needles & Syringes
Epinphrine
Mineral Oil
Alcohol
Iodine
Electrolytes
Nulflor

What else would a person need to keep to help treat your animal till the vet can arrive :?:

Dont get rid of anything, add to it, instead of switching out things, just add. Add a balling gun, probios, cellartor turbo, penicillan, for cuts, wrap, neosporin, ect.

I give ringers if the calf dehydrates (later) It is a solution in a bag. I administer it in the calf behind the rib cage kind if where the hollow part is it really helps with dehydration. I think you get faster results rather than drenching or bagging with electroytes.

It depends how far away you are from a vet or livestock supply store on what you keep. We do not keep any drugs on hand with the exception of Vitamins A&D and Selenium/Vitamin E during calving. We used to but we would buy a bottle and it would expire before it was used up - a waste of money. Our vet is 20 minutes away, avaliable everyday and will sell by the syringe. It is cheaper for us this way.
For calving we have a few things (besides the vitamins/selenium):
Iodine, needles, syringes, electorlytes, colostrum, Carnation milk, plain yogurt, blankets, scour tablets, gloves, chains and calf puller, halter(cow and calf) tags and guns, scale, that's all I can think of for now. This January will be our first year with our cozy caps, hopefully we won't be losing any ears from now on.

Looks like you have a good start. You'll keep adding stuff as you go and find out what works for you and what doesn't. The one thing I would add is oral spectam for scours. I have found it works extremely well. 8 MLs three times a day. Usually I only have to use it for 2 days.

I keep everything in a couple of tool boxes as well as clear tubs on shelves so I can see what I have. Then I put a kit together for calving season. Or I can put something together to take chuteside as needed. Here's what I keep on hand.
Disposable gloves- OB & regular, thermometer
OB chains & a calf puller
gauze pads, rolled cotton, roll gauze, vetwrap
betadine scrub & solution
blue kote, corona, bag balm, eye wash, eye ointment,nolvasan ointment, granulex, iodine, alcohol
needles & syringes of all sizes
Vit A, Vit B complex, Banamine, Nuflor, LA, BoSe, powdered colostrum, probiotics, sulfa boluses, Kaopect , screw worm spray
Calf drench, & bottles, & usually a small amount of replacer. Calf blanket, scale & hoof tape
Ear tags- regular & fly repellent as well as a pour on
Electrolytes
Antifungal spray or ointment
Ivomec.
I'm sure I'm forgetting something. It helps that our farm store is open 7 days and is only 30 minutes away. Hope this helps.

I keep handy--

LA200
Probios
Overeatting Vaccine
Blue Kote
Penicillin
alcohol
electrolytes
Balling Gun
Plenty of needles and syringes
gloves
quick stop
rope
pocketknife
Gatorade
Gatorade bottle-for drenching any liquid to help rehydrate
Cellerator
Minderal Oil
Clean hose- in case of bloat

snsfarms":3duaij20 said:
LA200
Anti inflamatory
Needles & Syringes
Epinphrine
Mineral Oil
Alcohol
Iodine
Electrolytes
Nulflor

I keep a tubing set for calves if they cant take a bottle. Also, I found that mycotel is a wonder drug. Although MYCOTEL is lethal to humans, so draw or uncap a needle till your ready!!! It also should be given in neck. I've heard Draxin is a powerful medicin if all else fails first.

Great posts!!!

I will add these items to my med chest.

We live in the middle of gods country where there is no cell phone service :( and the nearest feed store is over an hour away :( and the vet is 45 minutes in the other direction :shock: so everyone ideas have been great to give us ideas of what to ask our vet for to keep on hand for emergency situations and what to keep for calving.

Thanks so much! :cboy: