Cattle into Canada

Help Support CattleToday:

Beef11

Reaction score
If i was going to try to import cattle into Canada I would call Canada and ask what I needed to do and what rules and guidelines i needed to follow. Then if i really wanted to import them i would follow the rules set forth by Canada after all it is their country not mine. If i didn't like the rules i would Bite my tongue realizing that as a US citizen i have no place to try and change Canadian policy and obey or not send them to Canada. Pretty simple Eh.

Maybe you would do things that way,but not others. US producers and affiliated groups have pushed trade issues until the Canadian government made concessions based on science to lower bluetongue and anaplasmosis restrictions. So, if we are willing to make concessions based on science so should the US. Trade is supposed to go both ways. If you thought your were being treated unjustly i would hope you would stand up for yourself as well.
So what are you really trying to say in this post ? What is your real concern ? Just put it out there don't be scared of us big bad canadians ?

So what are you really trying to say in this post ? What is your real concern ? Just put it out there don't be scared of us big bad canadians ?

Simply, the exporting country should yield to the import country's trade regulations. I don't go around complaining to the Europeans with sob stories about why they have no right to not take our beef. If the US doesn't meet thier standards then we can either meet their standards or do business elsewhere.

Beef11":21d3curt said:

Simply, the exporting country should yield to the import country's trade regulations. I don't go around complaining to the Europeans with sob stories about why they have no right to not take our beef. If the US doesn't meet thier standards then we can either meet their standards or do business elsewhere.

Beef11....So what would be your suggestion if you were marketing beef into Canada and some Cattlemans association put an ad in the Ottawa newspaper..claiming your beef would kill...

Would you smile and be silent :?:

Here it is both the US and Canada have indigenous cases of BSE in their cowherds. That seems to get forgotten by some US cattlemen. If the EU blocked US beef because of implants and alllowed implants in the EU i think the US producer would be a little pissed too. As far as the exporting country yielding to import rules and saying nothing, i find it funny because of all the whining and complaining from the US about the japanese and their rules being too strict when concerning US beef. In all reality can Canadians change the rules set by the USDA on beef trade? NO. Will canadians be allowed to comment to the USDA on rule 2 ? Again the answer is NO. So these forums are where concerned cattlepeople will make comments, And in fact will also take harassment from others who think you should only be allowed to comment if you agree with one side of an issue. But this internet thing is in canada and here you are allowed to speak freely, if you don't want to hear opposing views move to Soviet Monatanastan.

The thing that realy burns my butt about this whole thing is that it was American buyers that created the demand that caused the expansion of the Canadian herd to begin with. Back before the free trade agreement, Canada exported some beef, but because of tariffs etc, we didn't produce much more than what we could use in Canada. We used to process it ourselves and ship west and east from here. Then free trade came along and the easterners started getting alot of their beef from south in the US and the US buyers showed up in the Canadian sale barns with those big American dollars and basically outbid our local packers until they shut them all down. Basically, the Americans produced teh demand that caused us to lose our packing plants and caused our production up to meet that demand. Then suddenly we became the big, bad Canadians because we are taking the American market away from teh American producers. R-Calf was looking for an excuse to shut the border down to Canadian beef long before BSE came along. This is about protectionism, not BSE.

Cattle Rack Rancher":293asz2r said:
The thing that realy burns my butt about this whole thing is that it was American buyers that created the demand that caused the expansion of the Canadian herd to begin with. Back before the free trade agreement, Canada exported some beef, but because of tariffs etc, we didn't produce much more than what we could use in Canada. We used to process it ourselves and ship west and east from here. Then free trade came along and the easterners started getting alot of their beef from south in the US and the US buyers showed up in the Canadian sale barns with those big American dollars and basically outbid our local packers until they shut them all down. Basically, the Americans produced teh demand that caused us to lose our packing plants and caused our production up to meet that demand. Then suddenly we became the big, bad Canadians because we are taking the American market away from teh American producers. R-Calf was looking for an excuse to shut the border down to Canadian beef long before BSE came along. This is about protectionism, not BSE.

Did you not read beef11 post ? things change,all I have seen you canucks do is ride on the backs of American producers,then whine and name call when you dont get your way.
Take your captive supplies to Japan.....ride on them awhile.............good luck

frenchie":1ch8uztq said:
Beef11":1ch8uztq said:

Beef11....So what would be your suggestion if you were marketing beef into Canada and some Cattlemans association put an ad in the Ottawa newspaper..claiming your beef would kill...

No I would accept this as factual information,quit whining and develope my own markets.......Americans are tired of this whining BS....................good luck
PS nothing personal,but everytime I think of a cattle man calling himself frenchie.I burst out laughing,those senoritas down Mexico way find out you are frenchie they would feel like you were their competition :D :D :D

HAY MAKER":2ez308ik said:
Cattle Rack Rancher":2ez308ik said:

Did you not read beef11 post ? things change,all I have seen you canucks do is ride on the backs of American producers,then whine and name call when you dont get your way.
Take your captive supplies to Japan.....ride on them awhile.............good luck

I agree, things change and you should just learn to accept it instead of giving us poor Canadians grief all the time.

Cattle Rack Rancher":33lasa0c said:
HAY MAKER":33lasa0c said:
Cattle Rack Rancher":33lasa0c said:

I agree, things change and you should just learn to accept it instead of giving us poor Canadians grief all the time.

It seems you and I have a differnce of opinion on "grief" the sooner you accept responsibility for your actions and quit looking for someone to blame ,the faster you recover................good luck
PS my opinion of"grief" is what the canadian Washington cow did to the united states export market.
Many millions of dollars later we are still trying to recover.

What a load of horse-s***. What gives the US export market grief is the cows from alabama and texas who were BSE positive and NOT from canada. You have BSE in the US that is your problem, NOT canadians. What about the presumptive positve cow from 1993 in texas that the USDA confirmed as negative, that may have been a positive variant strain? That means BSE could have been circulating in the US for at least 15 years. If this is true you have to admit that the US cattle producer is part of a major conspiracy. It would explain how BSE got into asia. BY the way Canadian cattle are getting acess to markets that are shutting out the US. Why you might ask? From what i understand they think the canadian system is working actively to eliminate BSE, canadians are testing and have an excellent tracing system as well none of the animals have made it into the food chain unlike the US.

Beef11":341i2oj7 said:
If i was going to try to import cattle into Canada I would call Canada and ask what I needed to do and what rules and guidelines i needed to follow. Then if i really wanted to import them i would follow the rules set forth by Canada after all it is their country not mine. If i didn't like the rules i would Bite my tongue realizing that as a US citizen i have no place to try and change Canadian policy and obey or not send them to Canada. Pretty simple Eh.

Actually if Canada was not sticking up to its end of the Free Trade agreement you would have the right to kick up a stink about it.
Example what would be Americas response if Canada stoped all exports of electricity, oil and natural gas? Came up with some kind of excuse such as global warming?
I dont think the White House would be holding its tongue.

One part of the NAFTA free(?) trade agreement allows the countries involved to quarantine or ban products that they believe are a health or animal health danger or endangers the economy of the industry because of a disease(s)...

Canada set the precedent right after the passage of NAFTA- when they said that "ALL US cattle are diseased" and would not allow any US cattle to go into Canada without quarantines, testing and extra cost and effort...Altho Canada had had the diseases in Canada they said all US cattle were "higher risk" for Anaplasmosis and Blue Tongue...
These rules effectively blocking many US cattle from free trade have been in effect for 12+ years...

Then Canada gets BSE-- and has found/and is still finding positives at a much higher rate that the US- including many POST feedban and younger cattle-- which puts Canada at a higher risk for BSE.....

Now the US cattlemen come back and want to protect the US consumer-US cattle herd, and US cattle industry's economy by quarantining out and putting restrictions on what even USDA admits is "higher risk" BSE cattle-- and Canadians scream, whine, and blame it all on Americans or R-CALF or anyone besides themselves....

Sounds like a double standard that Canada wants to promote....

OT check the OIE canada is Blue tongue free for now at least as we are lowering the restrictions for US import cattle. The reason for finding more cases is higher testing rates for BSE. If you don't test you won't find anything, why not test more in the US ? the simple answer is that there will be many more positives. As far as diseased US cattle you have bluetongue and BSE. Argue what you want,but when science proved the incedent rate was the lowest in winter for bluetongue US cattle were indeed allowed across the border in to canada . I have first hand knowledge, i had worked at a feedlot when NAFTA was signed and US cattle were allowed UP here , so cattle were allowed into canada there was no 12 years blockade as you say. OT quit with the half truths they are the same as lies.

skcatlman":3ekg62z6 said:
so cattle were allowed into canada there was no 12 years blockade as you say. OT quit with the half truths they are the same as lies.

skcatlman-- I never said their was a blockade-- but the CFIA health quarantines and restrictions economically kept many cattle out of Canada and was kept on Blue tongue until a couple weeks ago--and The Anaplas quarantine and restrictions are still on US cattle...

Canadian producers and the Canadian government believed they needed these restriction to protect the Canadian cattle herd and economic viability of the Canadian cattle industry from what they believed were higher risk US cattle--(even when after years of testing US science said the opposite and indicated there was more blue tongue danger from wild animals roaming than from cattle).....

Now US cattlemen think we need a quarantine and restrictions on Canadian cattle to protect our US cattle herd health and US cattle industry economic viability from higher risk Canadian cattle...Also many US consumers and consumer groups believe greater restrictions are needed to guarantee the safety of the US beef supply- since BSE affects human health too...

Absolutely NO DIFFERENCE- except that BSE is a much more dangerous disease that can infect humans.....

But now when we do it Canadians scream PROTECTIONISM and UNFAIR...And want to blame their whole lifes problems on the US.... :roll:

HAY MAKER":3gubdhm9 said:
frenchie":3gubdhm9 said:
Beef11":3gubdhm9 said:

No I would accept this as factual information,quit whining and develope my own markets.......Americans are tired of this whining BS....................good luck

Well we all know that you are an R-Calf brown-noser so it comes as no surprise.

HAY MAKER":3gubdhm9 said:
PS nothing personal,but everytime I think of a cattle man calling himself frenchie.I burst out laughing,those senoritas down Mexico way find out you are frenchie they would feel like you were their competition :D :D :D

Look HAY MAKER I know your jealous , but I really don,t swing your way.So you will have to save your affections for your :pretty: friend Oldtimer :lol:

Oldtimer":1nprpqsl said:
Canada set the precedent right after the passage of NAFTA- when they said that "ALL US cattle are diseased" and would not allow any US cattle to go into Canada without quarantines, testing and extra cost and effort.......

Funny 200 000 Montana calves made it into Alberta feedlots untested several yrs in a row.Wonder how that happened :?:

Oldtimer":1nprpqsl said:
Now the US cattlemen come back and want to protect the US consumer-US cattle herd, and US cattle industry's economy by quarantining out and putting restrictions on what even USDA admits is "higher risk" BSE cattle--

Sounds like a double standard that Canada wants to promote....

Double standard the disease exists in the U.S already. If these so called U.S cattleman wanted to protect the U.S consumer, U.S cattleherd..If this is truly a health-issue Why did they not take the U.S.D.A to task for reducing testing by 90%.....why the silence..thats easy no test .No find , no worry.

C'mon difference is that the border was never completetly shut to US cattle for BT. only restrictions on time of year and where they could come from . The US had an outright ban on canadian cattle and still are restricting even thought the risk levels are similar to those in the US and the science proves this and rule 2 should pass and allow older cattle into the US. YOU do have native cases . By the way how do you explain a cluster of 14 vCJD cases in San Francisco ? It just happens to be the same variant as the cow in texas ? Amazing you didn't find any BSE and yet US consumers are starting to found with vCJD. Are you hoping to blame it on canada, oh wait you can't it is a different variation and is not in any of the positives of canadian origin. All any canadian cattleman want is the international rules be applied to everyone equally. Just play fair. In all reality The USDA will do what they want and from what i hear will ignore R-CALF as a group of radicals.

frenchie":240div75 said:
Double standard the disease exists in the U.S already. If these so called U.S cattleman wanted to protect the U.S consumer, U.S cattleherd..If this is truly a health-issue Why did they not take the U.S.D.A to task for reducing testing by 90%.....why the silence..thats easy no test .No find , no worry.

No double standard Frenchie-- Anaplas and blue tongue both have been found in Canada and both exist in Canada- especially amongst the herds of bison, bighorn sheep, and other wild animals which pose a bigger danger to Canadian livestock then most US cattle...But Canada thought that it was necessary to also quarantine and put restrictions on US cattle...

So be it- BUT
now that we believe Canadian cattle are a higher risk for BSE-and want to quarantine and restrict Canadian cattle movement in OUR country Canadians whine, cry, and blame US policy for all their problems...

skcatlman":258c3cq8 said:
By the way how do you explain a cluster of 14 vCJD cases in San Francisco ? It just happens to be the same variant as the cow in texas ? .

Skcatleman-- show me the source of your info on these 14 vCJD cases in San Francisco.... you are again blowing smoke out your rear ;-) :lol:

If 14 cases of vCJD showed up- Canada wouldn't be selling another ounce of meat in the US for many a year- remember Canada has found some of that same variant, too....

Latest posts