Cattle into Canada

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer":20p6l2pv said:
frenchie":20p6l2pv said:
Why did they not take the U.S.D.A to task for reducing testing by 90%.....why the silence..thats easy no test .No find , no worry.

Answer the question..OT..Again why the silence on the reduction in testing for BSE

frenchie":1gf2q5wb said:
Oldtimer":1gf2q5wb said:
frenchie":1gf2q5wb said:
Why did they not take the U.S.D.A to task for reducing testing by 90%.....why the silence..thats easy no test .No find , no worry.

Answer the question..OT..Again why the silence on the reduction in testing for BSE

And you want to divert it back over to be its all caused by the Americans again :roll: ;-) :lol: Yep Frenchie we're the cause of every problem in Canada if that makes you feel better...Now say your prayers and I'll tuck you in too.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't think there has been any silence-- Many (I) have called for continued testing--many (I) have called for allowing private testing (Creekstone, etal)-- and the last I knew, USDA had postponed its initial plan to reduce the testing...

The US is still testing- frenchie.......

Oldtimer":28f328re said:
frenchie":28f328re said:
Double standard the disease exists in the U.S already. If these so called U.S cattleman wanted to protect the U.S consumer, U.S cattleherd..If this is truly a health-issue Why did they not take the U.S.D.A to task for reducing testing by 90%.....why the silence..thats easy no test .No find , no worry.

No double standard Frenchie-- Anaplas and blue tongue both have been found in Canada and both exist in Canada- especially amongst the herds of bison, bighorn sheep, and other wild animals which pose a bigger danger to Canadian livestock then most US cattle...But Canada thought that it was necessary to also quarantine and put restrictions on US cattle...
So be it- BUT
now that we believe Canadian cattle are a higher risk for BSE-and want to quarantine and restrict Canadian cattle movement in OUR country Canadians whine, cry, and blame US policy for all their problems...

Last I checked OT we didnt have a herd of them big horn sheep in Manitoba. And dont think we have ever had a case of
Anaplas or blue tongue. You should have stuck to playing sheriff Andy Griffith

Oldtimer":xf1bj8ij said:
frenchie":xf1bj8ij said:
frenchie":xf1bj8ij said:

And you want to divert it back over to be its all caused by the Americans again :roll: ;-) :lol: Yep Frenchie we're the cause of every problem in Canada if that makes you feel better...Now say your prayers and I'll tuck you in too.... :lol: :lol: :lol: .......

Lets make one thing perfectly clear..I never once blamed the U.s for all our problems ..Thats your statement not mine..If asking you questions you can,t or won,t answer is blaming the U.S so be it.

Its one thing to dodge my questions for a whole thread..

But for you to dodge reality for a lifetime is pathetic.

Reality.( fact)..R-calf has said B.S.E is a health issue

If it is a health issue..why no statements , press releases etc from them regarding reduced testing.

Does R-Calfs silence imply they think the U.S testing program is adequate? Yes or No :?:

Don't think there has been any silence-- Many (I) have called for continued testing--many (I) have called for allowing private testing (Creekstone, etal).......

Not talking about you OT..Wheres the statement from R-Calf taking the U.S.D.A to fault over reduced testing.

-- and the last I knew, USDA had postponed its initial plan to reduce the testing...

The US is still testing- frenchie.......

US Accused of Being Lax on Beef Safety
Department of Agriculture Plans to Reduce Slaughterhouse Testing by 90 Percent
By Kim Yon-se
The Korea Times, Dec 3, 2006 note the date OT

U.S. consumer advocacy groups accuse the U.S. government of blocking voluntary tests for mad cow disease by meat processing companies and trying to scale the existing ones down.

One case in point is Creekstone Farms, which produced the first batch of U.S. beef exported to Korea after the three-year import ban was lifted recently.

Creekstone Farms is based in Campbellsburg, Kentucky, with its processing and sales operations in Arkansas City, Kansas.

Following the discovery of a bone fragment last month, a slaughterhouse - or meat processor - belonging to Creekstone Farms was banned from exporting to Korea. It was the violation of import conditions between the two countries.

According to U.S. consumer advocates, the U.S. Department of Agriculture snubbed a request to allow the Kansas-based slaughterhouse to toughen its testing procedures. The consumer groups include the Minnesota-based Organic Consumers Association, whose claims were extensively reported by USA Today.

According to the advocacy group, Creekstone Farms wanted to assure customers that its cattle is safe to eat by testing every cow for mad cow disease.

But the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) blocked private companies from selling disease testing kits to Creekstone, arguing that there was no significant mad cow disease, or bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), problem in the country.

USA Today recently reported that the USDA is afraid Creekstone will set a precedent for other meat processors to follow and make a dent in beef exports of the U.S. agriculture industry.

Currently, the U.S. government tests only 1 percent of the roughly 100,000 cattle slaughtered daily.

The USDA is planning to reduce daily testing for mad cow disease by 90 percent. It has not been confirmed whether the plan has been implemented, but the revised plan calls for testing only 0.11 percent, or about 110, of the 100,000 cattle tested daily.

"Korea raised the (Creekstone-USDA) case in former talks to resume U.S. beef imports in September,'' said Kim Chang-seob, an official at the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry. "U.S. officials said they follow global standards in regulations on cattle examination.''

"A more urgent issue is avian flu in poultry in the domestic market,'' Kim said. "Why are a few bits of bone so important?''

Byun Hye-jin, a ranking official at the Korean Federation of Medical Groups for Health Rights (KFHR), said the U.S. government's alleged laxness in oversight of mad cow disease is not news.

"The U.S. agriculture industry is the No. 2 political funding source to the Bush administration,'' she said.

"I believe the USDA's blockade for some meat processors' proposal to extend mad cow disease testing is to block fatal damages to the agriculture industry (from a possibility of more BSE detection).''

In contrast to the U.S., many European countries and Japan are testing all slaughtered cattle, she said. "As we continue to say, the U.S. cannot produce boneless beef because they use big electric saws in processing cattle parts.''

Last Friday, the government said it found three bone fragments in the 3.2 tons of beef from Premium Protein Products, a slaughterhouse in the state of Nebraska, that arrived in Korea on Nov. 23.

The third batch of U.S. beef, totaling 10 tons, has arrived at Incheon International Airport. It is to be quarantined. The 651 boxes of beef were also processed in Nebraska. The state has the greatest number of beef processing rule violations. yeah....

.lets see we are testing 1400% of cattle by pop) more than you are already..now if you reduce testing another 90% that would mean we are testing 1400% x.90% .. yikes thats a scary figure OT.

[/u][/b]

Oldtimer":up3wpj0i said:
frenchie":up3wpj0i said:
Double standard the disease exists in the U.S already. If these so called U.S cattleman wanted to protect the U.S consumer, U.S cattleherd..If this is truly a health-issue Why did they not take the U.S.D.A to task for reducing testing by 90%.....why the silence..thats easy no test .No find , no worry.

No double standard Frenchie-- Anaplas and blue tongue both have been found in Canada and both exist in Canada- especially amongst the herds of bison, bighorn sheep, and other wild animals which pose a bigger danger to Canadian livestock then most US cattle.....

Ot ..We don,t have bluetonque /or anaplas ..in our wildlife populations.

I believe the only documented case of bluetongue came in an imported elk from the U.S in a quarintine facility.It was destroyed.

OT i saw it in an old post on ranchers when looking thru. Find it yourself like you have told me to do so many times. You can find it easily if i can. Bull st** the US variants in the texas and alabam cases are completely differnt than the Canadian cases. I can't believe what you are willing to write bold faced lies. Go somewhere else and snowball your r-calf buddies. Are you privy to more CFIA imfo than everyone else. Too bad you are so misguided.

frenchie":3crhkvtz said:
Oldtimer":3crhkvtz said:
frenchie":3crhkvtz said:

No double standard Frenchie-- Anaplas and blue tongue both have been found in Canada and both exist in Canada- especially amongst the herds of bison, bighorn sheep, and other wild animals which pose a bigger danger to Canadian livestock then most US cattle.....

I believe the only documented case of bluetongue came in an imported elk from the U.S in a quarintine facility.It was destroyed.
Better go back and learn your Canadian history-- Bluetongue was found in the Okanagen Valley and is still being monitored..

Better go back and learn your Canadian history-- Bluetongue was found in the Okanagen Valley and is still being monitored..And Anaplas has been found in Canada several times altho the outbreaks were quickly eradicated....It can also be spread by wildlife crossing the border...

Same deal-- You have bluetongue and anaplas in wildlife/ have had both diseases in the country previously -but Canadian cattlemen thought US cattle had a higher risk--you quarantined and put on border restrictions ...

We have found 2 cases of atypical BSE--Canada has 11 (both typical and atypical) with 5 post feedban-- which the US cattlemen believes presents a much higher risk...We in the US wish to quarantine and restrict these high risk cattle-- You in Canada throw temper tantrums and rant and rave and tell us how to run OUR industry... :roll: ;-) :lol:

skcatlman":2q83r363 said:
OT i saw it in an old post on ranchers when looking thru. Find it yourself like you have told me to do so many times. You can find it easily if i can. Bull st** the US variants in the texas and alabam cases are completely differnt than the Canadian cases. I can't believe what you are willing to write bold faced lies. Go somewhere else and snowball your r-calf buddies. Are you privy to more CFIA imfo than everyone else. Too bad you are so misguided.

I seldom will call a person a liar--but since you claim I am:

sksocalledcattlman--To start- to show folks what a DUMMY or a LIAR you are--the Manitoba cow in 2006 was an "atypical"--same as the types found in the US...So now I call Bull sh**.....How can Canadians argue their BSE situation when they're too dumb to keep up with the facts :roll: :lol: So are you an idiot or a liar :???: ;-) :lol: ....

Detwiler said that in addition to the U.S., Italian and French cases, "atypical" BSE has been diagnosed in Canada (in a 15-year-old cow in Manitoba diagnosed earlier this year),
http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:LgN ... d=14&gl=us

I also say you are OUT AND OUT LYING about 14 cases of vCJD being found in San Francisco...You say look it up-- How can I look up something that didn't occur- you idiot :roll: ?

Either post your facts about these 14 Cases of vCJD or admit you LIED.....

Folks know quite well that if 14 cases of vCJD had been found in San Francisco the papers would be covered with it-- when their have actually only been less than a handful (2 or 3)reported in the whole country- all which were thought to have originated the disease from the UK or Europe....

Just so folks actually can see what a LIAR you are- I looked up the latest:

Three cases of vCJD have been reported from the United States. By convention, variant CJD cases are ascribed to the country of initial symptom onset, regardless of where the exposure occurred. There is strong evidence that suggests that two of the three cases were exposed to the BSE agent in the United Kingdom and that the third was exposed while living in Saudi Arabia.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/vcjd/factsheet_nvcjd.htm

OT if you are going to try to impune a reputation at least come with facts not just what you want to be true. # cases of vCJD in the US check out CJD surviellance.com and what Dr. Luigi Gamabatti has to say, he is the one finding the 14 cases of vCJD in the US and i quote " there has been a steady increase in sporadic CJD in the US from 1997 -2006" check in with Flounder read some of his posts there are more cjd cases that you admit too.
OT who is Detwiler?, i thought you posted that the manitoba cow was postfed ban it seems that 15 yrs old is pre feedban. That is a moot point as the US is not 100 % enforcing the feed ban check out the post on Ranchers - concealing mad cow protein. As for rarely calling people liars that is laughable i have seem it enough times. How is the wether in montanastan? Yes i am saying you live in your own little world where the US has no BSE . Has the investigation found who illegally brought in the 7 head to the US packer as you claimed

skcatlman":1uoff921 said:
OT if you are going to try to impune a reputation at least come with facts not just what you want to be true. # cases of vCJD in the US check out CJD surviellance.com and what Dr. Luigi Gamabatti has to say, he is the one finding the 14 cases of vCJD in the US and i quote " there has been a steady increase in sporadic CJD in the US from 1997 -2006" check in with Flounder read some of his posts there are more cjd cases that you admit too.
OT who is Detwiler?, i thought you posted that the manitoba cow was postfed ban it seems that 15 yrs old is pre feedban. That is a moot point as the US is not 100 % enforcing the feed ban check out the post on Ranchers - concealing mad cow protein. As for rarely calling people liars that is laughable i have seem it enough times. How is the wether in montanastan? Yes i am saying you live in your own little world where the US has no BSE . Has the investigation found who illegally brought in the 7 head to the US packer as you claimed

Saskatoon-- You are a comedy-- What a pathetic lying joke. :lol: :lol: ..You didn't even take time to read the links or you would know who Dr. Detwieler is-- but you don't want to know, preferring to make it up the way it sounds best to you...
So much for your credibility..........

Don't be afraid to see what you see.
Ronald Reagan

But some are too scared to look....

Saskatchetoon
OT if you are going to try to impune a reputation at least come with facts not just what you want to be true. # cases of vCJD in the US check out CJD surviellance.com and what Dr. Luigi Gamabatti has to say, he is the one finding the 14 cases of vCJD in the US

Hey there Saskatoon Did you even look at the website you were spouting? Your site only lists the US with 2 vCJD cases ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol:
What a joke--you try to divert away from the normal thread because you know I'm right about country's allowed quarantines and you end up showing how little you know..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :p

http://www.cjdsurveillance.com/resource ... eport.html

Ot recheck some of flounders posts there are alot more than 2 vCJD cases in the US. They do not include cases under investigation on that web site. How about the claim by Gamabatti? Oh i forgot you never answer question you only ask and never listen to the answers if it doesn't fit your adgenda. Too bad you might learn some thing. Or are you too busy quoting R-CALF propaganda. I should buy a shovel making business in the US you guys are making those companies rich. You can only bury so many eventually it will come back to bite you in the butt.
By the way a producer owned plant i am involved with up here recently had to be restructured financially, now that that is taken care of we have gained acess to the US and EU for antibiotic free, hormone implant free, barley fed beef for now and soon to come BSE free tested beef . Bring m-cool on we are shipping to Calfiornia and New York right now and will be expanding asap.

Satchamo
How about the claim by Gamabatti?

Which one Satchman? He has written 100's of letters and articles.....This one?

And the mans name is Dr. Gambetti and I've read much of what he has to say- and have never seen a report of a finding of 14 vCJD cases in San Francisco.....

Don't you think if that was true the sensationalist mass media would be blaring it from the towers?

Dr. Pierluigi Gambetti is a neuropathologist at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland and director of the National Prion Disease Pathology Surveillance Center, a special laboratory set up by the nation's pathologists and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention four years ago to watch for the disease in the United States.

During that time, Dr. Gambetti and his colleagues have examined brain tissue from nearly 500 Americans who died from unusual neurological conditions. Of these, 292 people were found to have classical forms of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, or C.J.D., a progressive neurological disorder characterized by dementia and loss of motor control, which afflicts about one in a million Americans a year. Others had brain tumors or diseases that mimic C.J.D.

So far, none has shown signs of the ''variant'' C.J.D. seen in western Europe. Variant C.J.D. is a new disease, Dr. Gambetti said. If it did appear, he said, ''I would know it instantly from looking at tissue samples. It would jump out at me.''

Answer no, not with R-CALf coverups and denials. You do realize that there is more BSE than you are admitting, you can't even find where the alabama cow came from just that this is where she was found at the end of her life, how many of her herdmate that might be positive got into the human food chain in the US. What about flounders case, ask him was the CJD that took his family member. No exposure to EU beef from what i understand. I can see that R-CALF will be blaming every pos. bse on canada for the next 100 years. What a joke. LOL
There is no talking with you r-calf members you want to bury the problem and deny it exsists in the US , where as canada is working on eliminating the disease, just like our stance on other diseases the US favors controlling a disease rather than elimination like canadians do. Prime examples are TB and brucellosis. You should be looking long term ,looking short term will only make things worse for you in the long run.

Oldtimer":1pmt6yyj said:
frenchie":1pmt6yyj said:
frenchie":1pmt6yyj said:

No double standard Frenchie-- Anaplas and blue tongue both have been found in Canada and both exist in Canada- especially amongst the herds of bison, bighorn sheep, and other wild animals which pose a bigger danger to Canadian livestock then most US cattle..... :lol:

Better go back and learn your Canadian history-- Bluetongue was found in the Okanagen Valley and is still being monitored..

Better go back and learn your Canadian history-- Bluetongue was found in the Okanagen Valley...........

yep in an American elk

and is still being monitored..

You mean eradicated

And Anaplas has been found in Canada several times altho the outbreaks were quickly eradicated......

key word Ot eradicated..

-but Canadian cattlemen thought US cattle had a higher risk--you quarantined and put on border restrictions ........

I never quarinantined the border Ot.. The C.F.I.A did . They followed the same guidelines that some states apply to you.In fact it will be easier to get U.S calves across the border..then it will across some state lines..I was one of the guys that wanted access to U.S calves year round to fill my lot Just like Rick Pascal and Cor Van Ray wanted.

We in the US wish to quarantine and restrict these high risk cattle-- You in Canada throw temper tantrums and rant and rave and tell us how to run OUR industry... :roll: :lol:

Ot you have B.s.e get over it..As far as telling people how to run an industry ..who the hell are you to talk...
You guys all ran up here and bought cheap calves..put them on feed..then demanded that your cattle be slaughtered 1st because you were American citizens..then whined and cryed because there was no room at the packers to slaughter your cattle...poor babies meanwhile some people were waiting almost a month or more.

Then to top it off you guys started writting articles( filled with half truths) to newspapers slamming Canadian beef and what we all need to do correct our industry..you want to pick holes in the canadian beef industry..I, ll bury yours

why don,t you practice what you preach OT..Test every one of your own cows..
Whats that smell OT did you pee yourself again. :?: ;-) :lol:

Perhaps Hay Maker can hold your hand and make you both feel better. :lol:

So Ot going to answer my question ..why R-calf has been silent on the reduction in testing in the U.S

Is it because silence is golden :lol: :lol: :?:

frenchie-- Remember its you (Canadians) that are asking to ship cattle/beef into the US to ride on the shirttails of the US market...Thats what gives me the right to question the health of your cattle and your Canadian cattle industry's safety measures...

Otherways you could do whatever you want to with them, and I could care less- but when you want to involve yourself into OUR US industry and affect OUR US industry-- possibly with a huge negative impact-- then I have the right, and will question it....

Remember its you (Canadians) that are asking to ship cattle/beef into the US

Exactly the point this post was intended to make. I'm not sure exactly what problems we have in the US but they are essentially irrelevant because are cattle aren't in question its Canadian cattle that have to be ok'd by US standards.

The crux of the problem is that US cattlemen want to buy canadian cattle and import them for slaughter and breeding. There are people in the US who want canadian cattle and they are the ones you are going to have to convince that US cattle are better and can make them more money and it can't be done. Just remember tha trade goes both ways and there are these things called retalitory sanctions. You close the border for cattle we close the border for US cars, you close the border to softwood lumber we stop bgh milk. It is all really just a game that us as producers have little impact on decisions. Right now the US administration wants canada to triple the oil output so i expect the USDA will open the border to older cattle. That is just the way the game is played.

Oldtimer":34nvb96d said:
frenchie-- Remember its you (Canadians) that are asking to ship cattle/beef into the US to ride on the shirttails of the US market...Thats what gives me the right to question the health of your cattle and your Canadian cattle industry's safety measures.......

:lol: :lol: And your not asking to export yourHigher risk cattle/ beef ..into my market :?: :roll: ..which by the way rides for free on the backs of canadian beef producers..same as your canola producers

As far as I.m concerned that gives me the same right to question the safety of your beef and your whole testing program.and its shortfalls too :lol:

Oldtimer":34nvb96d said:
Otherways you could do whatever you want to with them, and I could care less- but when you want to involve yourself into OUR US industry and affect OUR US industry-- possibly with a huge negative impact-- then I have the right, and will question it....

again those same arguments work for us too OT..your exporting your product north of the line..A product that can,t be traced..because you have no national I.d program in place..or even age verifacation ready to go..How about this IDEA OT

all those cows, feeders coming north need to be hot-branded with a U and S as well as a manifest giving Birthdate, Birth place .any U.S animal upon slaughter /death needs to be manadatory tested for B.S.E

Or better yet close the border to those higher risk U.S beef and cattle imports ..till the U.s.d.a tests suffient # numbers of cattle to determine the prevalance of the disease in the U.S :lol: :lol:

Oh no.. :lol2: whats that noise Ot peeing himself again :lol2: