cattle egrets

Help Support CattleToday:

I SAW MY FIRST ONE ABOUT 10 YEARS AGO UP HERE AND HAVE SEEN SOME ABOUT EVERY YEAR SINCE. THERE ARE 3 THAT HAVE BEEN HANGING AROUND THE LAST COUPLE WEEKS. HOW FAR NORTH DO THEY GO.

well in alabama you normally see them on the southern end of central ala or so. ive alway's thought that when you stop seeing them that's as far north as purebred brahman cattle should be raised. after that they dont do as well

I did notice a few egrets a few weeks ago, but none now. It's been too cool down here for bugs I guess.

They usually walk along beside the cows and catch grasshoppers.
Not enough rain until lately for grass. Much less the hoppers. ;-)

Down here when I am cutting hay you will see hundreds of them. It's kind of funny to see them ride on the backs of some of the cows.

flaboy-":mi26run5 said:
Down here when I am cutting hay you will see hundreds of them. It's kind of funny to see them ride on the backs of some of the cows.

Au Naturel "Fly Control".

You ever see them attack a bumble bee nest after you run over it with machinery? It's a sight to see.

They eat every single one.

MikeC":3c7vqvun said:
flaboy-":3c7vqvun said:

You ever see them attack a bumble bee nest after you run over it with machinery? It's a sight to see.

No, but I have a log house and those dang bee's keep trying to drill holes in it. Got any good ways to run them suckers off?

had a neighbor from clanton who hated um he said they were lazy free loaders they just stand around on the cattles backs and eat. guess he wasnt thinking the whole thing through i wouldnt care if they stuck around myself. another thing i thought could be the climate change seeing them this far up

havent noticed any here yet. there will be plenty though. they normally show up about the time the army worms do. scads of lubber grasshoppers though. baby ones.

flaboy-":1ovtlwsm said:
MikeC":1ovtlwsm said:
flaboy-":1ovtlwsm said:

No, but I have a log house and those dang bee's keep trying to drill holes in it. Got any good ways to run them suckers off?

Get yourself a big pack of bubblegum and start chewing. Everytime a bee goes in the hole......fill it up with bubblegum.

flaboy-":1endd7hw said:
MikeC":1endd7hw said:
flaboy-":1endd7hw said:

Squirt a little WD40 in the hole.

J. T.":xtj339pv said:
flaboy-":xtj339pv said:
MikeC":xtj339pv said:
flaboy-":xtj339pv said:

Squirt a little WD40 in the hole.

Yep that works too. Like MikeC said I usally keep a tube of silicone around. When I see one go in I plug it with silicone. I just don't like all the dang holes.

RebelCritter":zcbda9wh said:
Get some Guineas. They eat all bugs! Great pest control. :)

I already have chickens pooping all over the place. Dang things won't stay where I put them. Chickens aren't supposed to fly! I kicked one in the butt yesterday for being in my garage. I told it next time it was going on the grill. :x

Latest posts