cattle conformation

Help Support CattleToday:

Taz

Reaction score
i was wondering if some of you could put up some photos of diffrent cattle and point out there good and bad points, im trying to learn more about conformation and what to look for and would really appreciate a "lesson" :D

thanks for any help/tips

Good conformation:
121R1-1.jpg

Bad conformation:
DSCF0055-1.jpg

Both are of the same breed...bottom one probably has some other breeds somewhere in the woodpile.

IluvABbeef":12eokz3b said:
Both are of the same breed...bottom one probably has some other breeds somewhere in the woodpile.

And they both have bad top lines

dun":2xdv7xd7 said:
IluvABbeef":2xdv7xd7 said:

And they both have bad top lines

The bottom one's the worst.

Here's another couple:
Lot50.jpg

same breed as the two previous

Lot79.jpg

Simmental

IluvABbeef what is bad about their toplines? and why is the bottom one worse?
i can see that obvious diffrence between them specially around the rump but im sure ill be missing some! thanks for the help

sorry im a complete begginer with cows am ferriting through the websites and video's you guys have posted and loving learning so please keep it coming!

Look at this young bulls topline. This is more what it should look like

so they should have a strighter topline rather then a dippy one? i dont know a thing but from years of looking at horses your bulls "whole" body looks nice! dun

another odd question does a cow/bull have a wither as such same as a horse does? and are the principal roughly the same as in how there legs etc are put together? and that the over all picture should look "symetrical" not sure if thats the right word hopefully you get what i mean :help:

KNERSIE":2rz4868i said:
dun":2rz4868i said:

Is that Pedro?

OK I can see in the name of the jpg file, that it is indeed Pedro, next time I'll look closer before posting

Taz":1hyy7pbx said:
so they should have a strighter topline rather then a dippy one? i dont know a thing but from years of looking at horses your bulls "whole" body looks nice! dun

Yes. They should also not have that roached-back either, like one pure-bred red angus steer I once had had. Roached-back means they have a real hump in the back when they're standing straight. Like this one:

This one is roached-back, sickle-hocked, and overly friendly. He's also got coarse shoulders, a bit pinched in the heart-girth, and he's pretty short in the body cavity. He's feminine-looking 'cause he's a steer, and needs some more groceries on him ( ;-) )

another odd question does a cow/bull have a wither as such same as a horse does? and are the principal roughly the same as in how there legs etc are put together? and that the over all picture should look "symetrical" not sure if thats the right word hopefully you get what i mean :help:
I think that if a cow/bull has withers like a horse does they'd be called coarse shoulder'd and a bit of a no-no in the cattle-selection world. Coarse shoulders can be carried on to the offspring making for some possibly difficult calving. As for their legs, that's a definite yes, they're feet should be well-spaced apart and pointing directly toward the front, not pointing in or pointing out.

dun":1mwvahpp said:

That's a real nice bull there dun. The one I posted I think still has a good topline, its just the way he's standing, and his head's up too, and he's long. I think there was a thread on the Breeds board about long-bodied bulls having "bad" toplines somewhere I long while back, and I think the same applies to the one I posted...

Taz":395x9cml said:
IluvABbeef what is bad about their toplines? and why is the bottom one worse?
i can see that obvious diffrence between them specially around the rump but im sure ill be missing some! thanks for the help

sorry im a complete begginer with cows am ferriting through the websites and video's you guys have posted and loving learning so please keep it coming!

The bottom "bull" (he's actually a steer because he was castrated a month after this pic was taken) is sway-backed, or V-backed, whatever the term is. Also, though you probably noticed the rounded rear from the "good conformation" bull, notice also the steer's hind legs: He's post-legged, and if I remember correctly from being around him, he was kinda pigeon-toed too. He's got a pallet-head and coarse shoulders, and a bit pinched in the heart-girth. Most of all, he ain't standing correctly, he was in a bit of a relaxed state chewing his cud and "slouching" as he stands there (like people do when they're bored or got poor posture). I've seen him in a non-relaxed state (like in the squeeze) and his topline still is abit sway-backed.

KNERSIE":1ei0916u said:
KNERSIE":1ei0916u said:
dun":1ei0916u said:

Is that Pedro?

OK I can see in the name of the jpg file, that it is indeed Pedro, next time I'll look closer before posting

It was Pedro.

I'm fairly new also. Have heard the topline mentioned. What are the reasons for a straight topline? Are they weaker, break down sooner, or not have as much meat, or what?

djinwa":3s3p3wla said:
I'm fairly new also. Have heard the topline mentioned. What are the reasons for a straight topline? Are they weaker, break down sooner, or not have as much meat, or what?
Normally a good top will give you better longevity. The cow will hold up for more years having to calve every year. Cattle with good tops also seem to be easyer keepers in their later years, don,t know why just an observation. And they are flat out better looking cattle.

novatech":1bkx24hp said:
djinwa":1bkx24hp said:
Normally a good top will give you better longevity. The cow will hold up for more years having to calve every year. Cattle with good tops also seem to be easyer keepers in their later years, don,t know why just an observation. And they are flat out better looking cattle.

They usually also carry more meat on the back where the expensive cuts are.

Thanks Knersie. I thought that but was not sure so I did not post it.
I do have a question about conformation for you and other experts on here, or just opinions by others. There always is someone stating about cows or bulls being pinched at the girth. I understand the basic concept but looking at some of the animals I just don't see it. Some may look pinched only because they have more spring of rib? Some may looked pinched because they carry more fat in the forward chest or brisket area? So could someone please explain something more about this?

Latest posts