Cattle Breeds

Help Support CattleToday:

HSTexas

Reaction score
I have been reading on here and it seems that I should choose between Brahma or simmental. I read that Brahma are very good at protection. I eluded to an issue with a neighbor that is stalking me. Would Brahma cattle offer some protection? I also like the look of Watusi cattle. Since I will be only able to support a few here I'm open to suggestions. TIA

OP
OP
H

HSTexas

Reaction score
I want to have my land make money. I am not looking for cattle to buy the land. I have bought it already. I just want it to produce income over up keep. I will be living with them because my RV is parked here. Will one strand of electrified fence be enough. What about breeding and raising nurse cows like jersey. I have also read that leaving all bulls intact will help them get more muscular. I could run about 20 jersey here I think.

True Grit Farms

Reaction score
I'd do longhorn and yes bulls grow better. One strand of wire should be sufficient. I'm sure if any of your bulls got out there wouldn't be a problem, your neighbor is trying to upgrade from big boy. I hear there's a group of 40 cows that run wild around there. If it was me I'd get a brand registered with the state and see if I couldn't catch and brand them.

OP
OP
H

HSTexas

Reaction score
Thank You. I will research brands. Since I like Kentucky basketball and rumor has it there is a wild cat here. I may use that as a brand. You guys are so helpful and nice.

darkhorse

Reaction score
Throw a piece of that single strand wire in the fire and singe the shine off it.
Stretch it real tight across the road about 48 " maybe lil more ifin she really high headed

ALACOWMAN

Reaction score
HSTexas":38m4nicv said:
I have been reading on here and it seems that I should choose between Brahma or simmental. I read that Brahma are very good at protection. I eluded to an issue with a neighbor that is stalking me. Would Brahma cattle offer some protection? I also like the look of Watusi cattle. Since I will be only able to support a few here I'm open to suggestions. TIA
I'd shoot the neighbor, and raise Simmental...

Rafter S

Reaction score
Go ahead and get the Brahman cows, and a Jersey bull. And yes, one hot wire should be fine. After the first day you can turn it off to save electricity.

ALACOWMAN

Reaction score
Rafter S":1tirklz9 said:
Go ahead and get the Brahman cows, and a Jersey bull. And yes, one hot wire should be fine. After the first day you can turn it off to save electricity.
Do like someone here did,,put up a fake hot wire...he put one around his round bales to keep the cows out,,,evidently his cows weren't fooled by it, they made hash out of it.... :cowboy:

Latest posts