GMN

Reaction score
think I have enough?
02-07-2006102041AM.jpg

milesvb":16npks1i said:
warpaint":16npks1i said:
Tempting!!

I'm gonna hold my comments on this one. :shock:

I think you're thinkin' what I'm thinkin'.

Ok, you big chickens, I'll say it. My coon dogs would have a hay day at your place. They could take care of most of them in less than an hour if they don't run too fast.

I've also got a buddy that takes great pleasure in trapping and disposing of "wild" cats. He's an avid turkey and rabbit hunter and is convinced that stray cats are ruining his turkey and rabbit populations.

How much do you feed those little butterballs in a days time? Surely you don't have enough mice to keep them that fat.

Just so you know, I am impartial to cats myself. I would probably own a couple just to keep the mice down, but my dogs won't allow it.

Okay fellas, that's enough.
I'll tell you one thing, until you've seen a cat jump through the hay and come back out with a big ol' mouth full of rat - you don't know what an asset they can be. Granted, some people go a little overboard with their breeding program...

Bullbuyer":3mph9kq6 said:
I'll tell you one thing, until you've seen a cat jump through the hay and come back out with a big ol' mouth full of rat - you don't know what an asset they can be. Granted, some people go a little overboard with their breeding program...

That's enough what???

As far as a cat's worth on a farm, we used to keep several back when we had hogs. It was the only way to keep the rats from scratching all the feed out of the feeders. The cats kept them in check. As I said, that was before the coon dogs. Never said there is anthing wrong with them, just they don't survive long around my place.

We have several at the barn-I don't know exactly how many right now but I don't think we have that many. I sure do like not ever seeing a rat or a mouse in the feed room or chicken house. Sure does mean a lot to me. I really even like the cats-the dogs get along with them and they do a job to help pay for their upkeep.

Bullbuyer":2ngg0swn said:

I agree - but these cats are in the yard - not in the barn or in the hay stack.

We generally go from 6-8 in the early spring to about 20 - 30 by fall. Coyotes thin them out over the winter and we start all over again.

Regards,

Bez!

Is that all of them? Growing up we had a barn full of cats. Stopped counting after 60. Chore time was interesting. A sea of cats would come running out - most of them yellow.

Farmhand":mo9oofaa said:
Chore time was interesting. A sea of cats would come running out - most of them yellow.

Especially milking time, the cats would sit there and we'd squirt milk at them. They'd sit up and lap the milk. :lol:

ok, thanks a lot! if i'm not back tomorrow i died in my sleep. having nightmares.

Latest posts