Cats vs. Snakes ?

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
I have been told over the years that cats will fight off snakes. I have never witnessed it. Have any of you folks witnessed such a thing ? I sure would appreciate any input on this subject. We would rather deal with cats than snakes. Tom :cboy:

Never heard of that. Did hear that guineas will keep snakes away. But never saw any evidence of that either. Might be that both control whatever it is that snakes come around for?

Got a dog that's pretty good on snakes. Shakes them so hard that usually the head pops off.

my cat will fight snakes..got some pics the wife took of it if i can find em. was about a 4 ft black snake..that cat had no fear

my cats love to play with snakes. the snakes eventually high tail it if they make it and dont come back.

I was augering (sp?) lupins one day and because of the auger I didnt hear the cat yowling, I saw him looking under the grain tarp and just figured he was chasing mice cos there were heaps of mice around. Next thing I see a brown snake striking at me and the cat jumped on it and whacked it one. The snake then had a go at the cat I grabbed him and took off for a shovel. I think it would depend on the individual cat.

I have two cats that live in the barn. this time of year the baby rattlers come out , i guess they move away from the mother, dont really know, but i find two or three every year the cat kills, she always leaves them out by the door for me to see.scares me every time i open the door and one is laying there. dont know what she would do with a big one.

they say that cats arent very susceptible to snake bites but i dont know.

Beefy":v45eszs1 said:
they say that cats arent very susceptible to snake bites but i dont know.

I had a cat die from a snake bite so I don't see why they would be any less susceptible than any other animal. I have never seen a cat fight a snake. I did see a toad try to swallow a snake that had been dead long enough to get stiff. Now that was funny!

My cats found a snake in the kitchen of the old house(one of the reasons I moved)..They had played with it so long it couldn't move,and then when I found it,it really couldn't!! ;-)

My cats don't pay snakes any mind. I just found two rat snakes in the barn - 4'3" and 5'3" long. The smaller one was gentle enough for me to take these pictures with cats and even with baby :D

P1010035Medium.jpg

P1010034Large.jpg

P1010005Small.jpg

P1010048Medium.jpg

P1010049Medium.jpg

EEWW, see, NO! I don't think so. Where's Ryder when you need him. He'd faint.

:lol:

Those look a little bit like the black snakes we have around here. When I catch one in my drive, or out by the road, I will pick them up and put them in my barn so they can catch mice.

My dogs won't allow cats, they kill them. However they leave snakes alone, so I have only one option around here for mousers, snakes.

I would think that a cat is small enough that a poisonous snake will just polish them off. I have had two of my dogs bitten in the face by a rattle snake on two different occasions. I was horrified the first time it happened. I called a vet friend who asked me if the dog was still breathing ok. I said it was and she told me as long as he is still breathing and eating ok, he will be ok. A dog has such a high matobilisim that rattle snakes don't effect them as bad as they do people. So I knew what to expect when the second dog got bit last year. (the third dog, the border collie, way to smart to get bit) On the two that got bit in the face, their head swells up like a football, then the puncture wouds open up and drain out and then the swelling goes down and they end up with a little scar right were the fangs went in.

I would think that a cat would have a problem with bigger snakes and poisonous ones, but not with the smaller ones.

Lammie":tltahc0c said:
EEWW, see, NO! I don't think so. Where's Ryder when you need him. He'd faint.

Thats just what I was thinking, how much Ryder would love to see these pics, especially the baby one!

Gail

He's not the only one. I went outside and threw up after I saw the baby with the snake around it's neck.

That's just plain wrong :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

3waycross":1uuyth5f said:
He's not the only one. I went outside and threw up after I saw the baby with the snake around it's neck.

No kidding....CPS would love to see that...

:shock: Just because you hate snakes or have ophidiophobia does not mean this is wrong. Rat snakes are a LOT less dangerous to people than cats, dogs and other "cute" animals. But if my pictures bother you that much, I'll remove them. :roll:

A typical ophidiophobic would not only fear them when in live contact but also dreads to think about them or even see them on TV or in pictures.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophidiophobia

3waycross":13cjj5um said:

With such fear of snakes, I would think you should avoid topics with word "snake" in it's subject :roll:

starlinka":2heoe3zn said:
3waycross":2heoe3zn said:

With such fear of snakes, I would think you should avoid topics with word "snake" in it's subject :roll:

I was hoping it was pictures of Cats(which I don't like that much either EATING snakes which I REALLY don't like. :help: :help: :help:

But you're right I didn't have to look! :lol: