how to keep cats out of your yard

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
[youtube]zxflhbtnOcw&list=UUBOCHyyny8XEDs4nbdMDaUA[/youtube]
Lugnut works hard to keep cats out. All cow dogs will find a job, this one is hers. No longer are the cats walking all over our cars or sitting in planters.

wacocowboy":n2o74p7b said:
a few paw prints are worth not having skunks, rats, and snakes around the house.
I guess this is too hard to you to comprehend. So either you didnt even watch the video and wanted to leave a negative comment because its what some of you guys enjoy doing.
Keeping the cats out of our yard does nothing when it comes to keeping out varmints. Um, cats are kept out by dogs, dogs keep pretty much everything out of the yard. So, next time watch, read what is posted before leaving a snarky remark...

Snarky?

How about the amazing set of cojones you seem to think you carry around? So far you have posted on this forum advice on just about everything from soup to nuts.

Cattle Ranching
Gardening
Dog training
Cat training

and on and on and on.

The only problem I see with all that great advice is that it is unsolicited. Ma'am you are nothing short of a National Treasure with the vast accumulation of knowledge that you seem to need to share with us riders of the short bus.
Speaking for myself only, I would beg you to keep it coming. With you leading us into the light we may yet achieve our full potential.

read what is posted before leaving a snarky remark...

Snarky? Hardly....Merely polite disagreement. Perhaps you're not really accustomed to people responding to you when you speak, but it is allowed here.

It's likely never occurred to you that some people may actually like have cats in their yard.
Some people even own them as pets. Dammmm, can you believe the nerve of some people wantingto have cats around! :roll:

I could give you a better example of snarky and bytchy. I'm generally pretty good at it, but I think you have me beat in that contest. :lol2:
G5 did a fine example, too.

No, I didn't watch it either. I like my cats, and I didn't feel compelled to contribute to your income from YT videos.

CottageFarm":knta6mlr said:
read what is posted before leaving a snarky remark...

Snarky? Hardly....Merely polite disagreement. Perhaps you're not really accustomed to people responding to you when you speak, but it is allowed here.

It's likely never occurred to you that some people may actually like have cats in their yard.
Some people even own them as pets. Dammmm, can you believe the nerve of some people wantingto have cats around! :roll:

I could give you a better example of snarky and bytchy. I'm generally pretty good at it, but I think you have me beat in that contest. :lol2:
G5 did a fine example, too.

No, I didn't watch it either. I like my cats, and I didn't feel compelled to contribute to your income from YT videos.
Put me on foe, please. You just seem to like to jump in and get a bite in when the focus is off you. I've known many posters like you, which means its been done to you. :clap:

Can i ask, why i can't post things like this? In all my internet life have i ever come to a forum with so few posters who 'know it all' and hate anyone who has things to share. In fact, i've had many Pms of people you guys have run off from ever posting again. They come around, but they no longer post because as several put it, 'these people are jealous of anyone who knows something they dont.' There is a hand full of people here that make it not worth the time to even share what you know and this is sad. I'm just a little thicker skinned so i'm still here, even though i've been called thinned skinned. I doubt there is anyone in here that if thrown a snarky remark doesnt come back with a snark of their own specially when they original snarker didnt even read the post. So if you want to throw stones, expect for them to be tossed back.
I posted these videos for people who have no idea they exist. I show just how good they work even with cow type dogs because they sometimes can be very hard headed. And, in this video, its doing double duty by keeping the cats out of the yard. The snarky remark was from a person who didnt even watch the video because if they had, they'd know nothing furry is going to wander in the yard unnoticed, cat, skunk, possum, etc.
And, if you dont want to keep cats out of your yard, then no need to even open the thread. But if you do, watch the video and ponder if its an option for you.

You just seem to like to jump in

Only as a response to your attacks on others. It's a character flaw that I readily admit.

Put me on foe...

Why? So that you can silence all dissent?

which means its been done to you

Not that I can recall, but I probably deserved it if it has happened. I fill a niche.... :lol2:

You're a gem and a riot. Perhaps one day you will accept that not everyone agrees with you. :lol2: :lol2:

wacocowboy":q4q9ngn4 said:
a few paw prints are worth not having skunks, rats, and snakes around the house.

I have never heard that cats will keep skunks and snakes away......

is this true????

I have problems with both.....

Apache would like to have some cats to chase....

If the cats will keep the snakes and skunks at bay .......

I will go to the animal shelter and get ten or twelve....

pdfangus":2zuiki4p said:
wacocowboy":2zuiki4p said:

is this true????

My cats stay in the garden and barn. The dogs stay in the yard. I know that anything that comes into the yard is killed, raccoons, possums and skunks. I have 4 cats in my garden area, i do know i get snakes, not only small, but very big ones. But, the other varmints have to cross the cats to get to the dogs, and my dogs kill anything and do routinely. So, i'm guessing the only thing the cats may keep away are rabbits mice and rats. I use to have problems with rabbits eating sprouts until the cats lived in the garden 100% of the time.
I think after making a negative remark on the other wireless fence post i made, that was the only thing he could come up with at the time to disagree with this thread. A few posters here like to make up things just to look smart.

pdfangus":229aujku said:
wacocowboy":229aujku said:

is this true????

Well I use to have a skunk problem had the entire house stinking. I got a few cats and haven't seen a skunk in my yard in about 4 years. my neighbor who only has dogs now has a skunk problem. Since I got my cats I have seen fewer snakes in the yard and my cats love to kill mice.

I fail to see how my comments were snarky. Only a thin skinned person would think that just because I don't mind paw prints to keep skunks away I am being snarky. Yes I did watch your video you call the poor cat in the yard with food and let the dog chase it then do it again great your dog can chase cats. I have been on here for awhile and no one on here has been mean, snarky, or rude to me. They may disagree but that is fine I don't mind people who disagree the world would be pretty boring if everyone agree. I always read every one's post with an open mind sometimes I see ideas I like and wanna try on my place sometimes I just keep on going but I don't get upset if they disagree with me. If everyone here is so rude and mean why don't you leave and don't come back I wouldn't want to go somewhere I felt I was being treated poorly and disrespected. I think you keep coming back because you are the type of person who likes to poke a bear just like you were poking that snake with a stick in another video you posted.

cowgirl8":3nfkvofx said:
wacocowboy":3nfkvofx said:
I guess this is too hard to you to comprehend. So either you didnt even watch the video and wanted to leave a negative comment because its what some of you guys enjoy doing.
Keeping the cats out of our yard does nothing when it comes to keeping out varmints. Um, cats are kept out by dogs, dogs keep pretty much everything out of the yard. So, next time watch, read what is posted before leaving a snarky remark...
So what's snarky about him having an opinion?
He's entitled to his just like you are yours.

Of course he does.
Here are some of the things that come into the dogs yard, but dont go back out..

Im always amazed that these critters will walk right into the dogs.

Well, I guess that I am on the opposite side of the fence..........but I DO NOT WANT my dogs killing anything! They have been taught to live with the cats and chickens. Yes, they will get gophers. But that better be it! IMO Once they start killing things, you can't trust them with farm animals that you do not want them to kill.

I dont want them to kill anything. It just happens. The smaller dog was dumped on us and hated cats before we got her. Before that the aussie lived with the cats, but she was a car chaser so i got the wireless system. When we acquired Lugnut and she hated cats, chased cows...so she got the collar too. No matter what i do, i can not keep varmints out of my yard. So what the dogs do is what they do. I do not encourage anything to come into the yard, nor do i encourage the dogs to chase the cats out and they sure cant chase anything unless it comes to them. Its what the dogs do. And the cats enjoy teasing the dogs, again, nothing i can do about that. No cats get hurt, no dogs get hurt...They all have their place, no neighbors are bothered by my dogs, period end of story.
I took pictures of Maggie with her catch, because she feels she keeps us safe. I love the look on her face when i walk out in the morning with her victory so i always take her picture. She will sit by it until i remove it. They never eat what they kill, they just maul to death and then guard it. Now if anyone has any suggestions on how i can keep them from coming into the yard and or keep my dogs from getting them, note that no food is left out to entice anything to come to my yard, then i'd love to hear it.

It's pretty hard to reverse the killing behavior once they taste blood and get used to doing it. I have labs. Not cow dogs, so I can not advise on them. Cow dogs have an entirely different mind set and drive. Though I do know a lot of ranch dogs that are taught to leave the cats alone.
But any of them have to be supervised from the time their pups, and taught to leave things be. Whether it be cattle, chickens, cats, or varmints. I don't need mine getting tore up by a coon or cougar! If you supervise and socialize them from the time their young, I think you have a better chance. Hard when they come to you older.

I've never had a puppy, like how a lot of people get puppies(except for one puppy). I get dogs that are dumped and usually around a year old. Lugnut was probably 8 months old when i got her and she's the hardest headed dog and was very skiddish. I'm going to guess she'd been kicked a few times and had a rope around her neck that had eaten into her skin. She was obviously abused, but very smart. I had always been able to get my dogs to except cats, chickens, whatever but she's different. The cats had lived in the yard forever. Scooter, who isnt in the video, had slept with cats from day one. Since Lungnut also chased cows and even chewed on the tail of a down cow we had at the corral, we were either going to have to put her down or use the electric collar on her. I saw potential in her so we went with the collar. Keeping the cats out of the yard was just a byproduct of keeping her in. And in the end it worked out. I no longer have to worry about cats in the truck engines in the winter. They no longer used my potted plants to sleep on, and they live in my garden and keeps rabbits out. And dont think the cats have it bad, they have the garden area and the barn and stables. They still have it good.
And as far as them killing things that come in to the yard. Its always when i'm not around otherwise the varmint wouldnt come into the yard with a human there. I think it would be almost impossible to train any dog not to kill a possum, raccoon, whatever if the animal comes in without you there. Dogs are predators.

Latest posts