Cats are getting bold

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
This is the remains of a deer killed. There was a skiff of snow the morning it was killed so the tracks identify that it was killed by a cougar. The coyotes and birds have picked it over pretty good. I took this picture off the county road. The deer was about 30 yards off the road and about 150 yards from the neighbor's house. The remains are just about the middle of the picture. A couple weeks ago there was a fresh snow. In the morning there was a set of lion tracks that came off the ridge and crossed the bridge in front of my house. They then turned down along the river. That is maybe 150 yards from my house.

Brute 23 said:
Do you have hunting dogs? :)

Season is open year round but it is not legal to use dogs. Bummer because dogs are the only real effective method of lion hunting. They will allow dogs in special cases. One neighbor had a cat take his cow dog off a chain in his back yard. Another had about 20 meat goats he was raising, cat took about half of them. Both cases and game dept allowed them to bring in hounds.

jltrent said:
Be careful, hungry lions will eat anything...

Both Oregon and Washington outlawed hound hunting of cougars about 20 years ago. The lion population has exploded in both states. Only one recorded case of a cat killing a person in each state. Both occurred within the last 2 or 3 years. Both in areas with lots of people and very few deer. Here we still have lots of deer and very few people.

Can I come over YouTube your cats? Oregon is a beautiful place. I'd like to go back there and explore the outdoors more but dang your scaring me. They say there is any cats here. My parents have a big farm 30 miles from us found some cougar prints. Had the Fish and wild life come check them out. They did some molding came back as 2 different cougar foot prints. Really if they are in Eastern Kentucky, Illinois, maybe Tennessee ? There isn't a fence to keep bears, cougars, rattlesnakes, etc in a certain area or state. Just pointing that out. 😉😁

Chevy said:
Can I come over YouTube your cats? Oregon is a beautiful place. I'd like to go back there and explore the outdoors more but dang your scaring me. They say there is any cats here. My parents have a big farm 30 miles from us found some cougar prints. Had the Fish and wild life come check them out. They did some molding came back as 2 different cougar foot prints. Really if they are in Eastern Kentucky, Illinois, maybe Tennessee ? There isn't a fence to keep bears, cougars, rattlesnakes, etc in a certain area or state. Just pointing that out. 😉😁

I have lived and worked outdoors in areas with high bear and cougar populations all of my life. And for the last couple years where there are lots of rattle snakes. None of them are anything to worry about. Be aware of, yes. Use a little common sense. A little knowledge of where they hang out and how they behave goes a long ways in avoiding contact.

Dave said:
Chevy said:

I have lived and worked outdoors in areas with high bear and cougar populations all of my life. And for the last couple years where there are lots of rattle snakes. None of them are anything to worry about. Be aware of, yes. Use a little common sense. A little knowledge of where they hang out and how they behave goes a long ways in avoiding contact.

I've seen a few bears in the wild but from very far away. A few rattlesnakes just recently in the past few years. A died cougar... a mountain goat beside the highway.... that was weird yet very cool. We saw a huge boa in southern California. We were driving. I wanted to turn around but no way. Mostly just see deer and most deer here.

We had trappers come and see why our herd of sheep got killed. They said cougars. They sited the prints and the way the animals were dragged. We ended up being able to pull some camera from our pasture and they were wrong, it was coyotoes.

My step dad now has a pile of about 10 coyotoes he has taken out. Its become his favorite pastime

cowgal604 said:
We had trappers come and see why our herd of sheep got killed. They said cougars. They sited the prints and the way the animals were dragged. We ended up being able to pull some camera from our pasture and they were wrong, it was coyotoes.

My step dad now has a pile of about 10 coyotoes he has taken out. Its become his favorite pastime
Coyotes have a tough time around here. Several trappers who work the area pretty hard. There is a lot of open country and every cowboy and rancher has a rifle in the pickup.

Dave said:
cowgal604 said:

Coyotes have a tough time around here. Several trappers who work the area pretty hard. There is a lot of open country and every cowboy and rancher has a rifle in the pickup.

The population here has skyrocketed. This last year was insane. We were seeing them all day long.

We aren't allowed to trap here.

Saw some cat tracks on the hood of my truck. Now there's another cat in the cat graveyard. Thanks havahart.

Latest posts