Catfish - too many

Help Support CattleToday:

Rotenone is detrimental. It will kill everything ...good and bad. Bad choice unless you want to start over from scratch. Boogie is right traps are legal and your best bet.

Pond catfish do reproduce.

Looks like you could sell those catfish to people who want to stock their ponds or just let some friends go fishing.

The reason your fish are so small is because you haven't fed them properly and/or managed them.

A catfish fry can grow 10 inches in one growing season.

Catfish definitely reproduce in ponds. I have a catfish fingerling producer neighbor that sells several million per year that were hatched in a pond.

Just curious. Why wouldn't you think they reproduce in a pond?

At only 8 foot deep you should be able to use a sein and sort out the ones you want to put back in the pond. The ones that you don;t want you could eat, give or sell to someone for pond stocking or just dump them on tha bank for the coons.

dun

dun":1kqjtmlf said:
At only 8 foot deep you should be able to use a sein and sort out the ones you want to put back in the pond. The ones that you don;t want you could eat, give or sell to someone for pond stocking or just dump them on tha bank for the coons.

dun

The only success we had with seins was when we sewed together 3 of the 20 footers and pulled really slow.

If you put a 6 inch opening in the throat of a fish traps, you'll get most of the small ones and the polly wads that the birds introduce. It is about a 3 man job when the trap gets full.

Drain it down to 4' and seine the heck out of it. Do it before your rainy season. Put in about 3000 fathead minnows, let em reproduce for a couple of months. While the pond is down add some structure. (logs/cinder blocks/rocks/gravel or sand beds). Come back and stock with whatever you want.
Do not just stock one species as there will be no ecosystem to support it. Put in some panfish, a few bass(about 1/4 of what you think you will need), and throw in a few of those catfish.

Reproduction isn;t great, but channel cats can and do reproduce in ponds.

dun

catfish can reproduce in ponds. they like holes and logs to lay their eggs in. most catfish fry just dont make it b/c other fish eat them..they are kind of slow. in your case they have no predators to keep them in check (except the birds?). sounds like you are just overstocked now and they are stunted. i'd throw some bass in there.

Why not suck all the water out of the pond. If there's something in there you want to save you'll know for sure. If so put the fish you want to save in a tank temporally. then put some water back in the pond and the desirable fish. :idea:

Beefy":olctlw6p said:
catfish can reproduce in ponds. they like holes and logs to lay their eggs in. most catfish fry just dont make it b/c other fish eat them..they are kind of slow. in your case they have no predators to keep them in check (except the birds?). sounds like you are just overstocked now and they are stunted. i'd throw some bass in there.

We have friendly family of self serving otters if I could catch a couple your overstocking problem would be over in a week or two.

mnmtranching":2rsgh1g0 said:
Why not suck all the water out of the pond. If there's something in there you want to save you'll know for sure. If so put the fish you want to save in a tank temporally. then put some water back in the pond and the desirable fish. :idea:

Were you gonna get that water to fill up that pond. Most are several 100 thousand gallons. :roll: :roll:

novatech":2mleapy7 said:
mnmtranching":2mleapy7 said:

Were you gonna get that water to fill up that pond. Most are several 100 thousand gallons. :roll: :roll:

Where did the water come from to fill it in the first place :?:
A convenience store :?: :shock: :)

A few good sized yellow cats caught from the Colorado or San Bernard rivers and released in your pond would make quick work of the fish you currently have. :) and you could in turn eat them later on. Yellow cats are voracious predators, of course thats why the fish & game folks strongly discourage people from stocking them in small bodies of water.

Or you could just give me a map to the place and I'd help to exert some fishing pressure -- have an uncle in East Bernard that might loan me a fish trap (funneled basket) as well! :lol:

Give me a call I'll tell you how to build a trap.
After you catch them, boil them up. I know a guy that did that when he was a kid, And he ate them.