Catfish

Help Support CattleToday:

The fishing trip got postponed. Something about sitting in a boat out on the Snake in 55 degrees with a stiff breeze. I had just figured I was going to bring a heavy coat. These guys would never make it as PNW Steelhead fishermen. Got to be commented to fishing when you have to dip your rod into the water to thaw the ice of it. Oh well, it is supposed to be 70 tomorrow.

Dave said:
Got to be commented to fishing when you have to dip your rod into the water to thaw the ice of it.

I went bass fishing once on a really cold February morning that never warmed up until I was in the truck. Yep, just once.

TexasBred said:
sstterry said:
ALACOWMAN said:
or how he baited the hook....

Not sure I want to eat that fish either or remove the hook!

All scavenger fish are "turd rustlers" :mrgreen:

After I posted that, I realized I have had my hands covered in cow and calf manure many many times, even earlier this week when I was tailing a calf, but there is just something about fishing with human crap that makes me queasy.

sstterry said:
TexasBred said:
sstterry said:
Not sure I want to eat that fish either or remove the hook!

After I posted that, I realized I have had my hands covered in cow and calf manure many many times, even earlier this week when I was tailing a calf, but there is just something about fishing with human crap that makes me queasy.

You'd be shocked to know how many snapper, grouper, cobia and barracuda I've caught at the stink holes. Up until the late 80's Delray Beach and Lake Worth would pipe the City sewers offshore into 95' of water and let it go. I pretty much made my living just fishing the stink holes and selling fresh fish to all the local restaurant's.

True Grit Farms said:
sstterry said:
TexasBred said:

You'd be shocked to know how many snapper, grouper, cobia and barracuda I've caught at the stink holes. Up until the late 80's Delray Beach and Lake Worth would pipe the City sewers offshore into 95' of water and let it go. I pretty much made my living just fishing the stink holes and selling fresh fish to all the local restaurant's.

Catch many hardheads in that stench?

greybeard said:
True Grit Farms said:
sstterry said:

Catch many hardheads in that stench?

Nope, but I've never caught any kind of catfish offshore.

Maybe they're just close to shore?

Come to think of it, the 2 years I spent in GTMO Cuba, I never caught a hardhead in that bay either.

It was a nice calm peaceful afternoon/evening on the water. Beautiful setting. My kind of fishing. Not a single fish biting to disturb me. Well the boat owner lost a good catfish that he got right up to the boat. His knot came untied.

Four of us on the boat. One guy was missing one of his hands. Another only has one eye. Sort of a pirate crew.

Dave said:
It was a nice calm peaceful afternoon/evening on the water. Beautiful setting. My kind of fishing. Not a single fish biting to disturb me. Well the boat owner lost a good catfish that he got right up to the boat. His knot came untied.

Four of us on the boat. One guy was missing one of his hands. Another only has one eye. Sort of a pirate crew.
The guy's knot that came undone......did the one eyed guy or the one handed guy tie it?

greybeard said:
Dave said:

The guy's knot that came undone......did the one eyed guy or the one handed guy tie it?
Nope it was the two eyed, two handed owner of the boat. I would have given him more of a hard time over it but it is a nice boat and I want to get invited back again.

Went fishing again yesterday afternoon. There were some guys at the fish cleaning station with 35 catfish. We asked what they caught them on. Mormon crickets was the answer. We dropped the boat and ran back to the bait shop in the little town. We ended up catching 5. The biggest one was 10 pounds. The others ran in the 7 to 5 pound range. We were fishing in 50 feet of water right up next to shore.