Catching a Crazy Bull and Hauling

Help Support CattleToday:

josh8906

Reaction score
Is there anyone around the Greensboro, GA area that comes out to catch cattle? I have a bull that has got in my neighbors pasture with his cows. The bull doesn't like to be in a catch pen and wants to try to jump out. We were actually able to get him on the trailer today pretty easy but he flipped out and tore the gate off my old trailer and got out. My trailer is an old 16ft Hale trailer with the wood sides and wood door. If I had a better trailer I would have been good to go. If the bull wont go through the chute again its possible that he may need to be tranquilized or something to get him on the trailer. The neighbors cattle is registered Angus so I'm trying to get him out as soon as I can. He is about a 1300 to 1500lb bull. Any help appreciated!

Your state farm bureau may have a list of catchers. Your local animal control may as well.

callmefence":2g1z5ycv said:
For some reason it made me think of grits friend on the Honda motorcycle........
Sorry
Carry on..

He's a top hand. If anybody can, he can.

I talked with the local sale barn here but they are not selling this week because of Thanksgiving. They said they are not sure if they could make arrangements to come.

I know a couple down here I used to catch with, One would prolly come that far but it would be expensive . with the prices right now you would have more in the catch than the bull is worth. check around for a local food donation place and see if they would accept the carcass to be processed then just kill it and haul it to them . with that they could write you a receipt for the donation and at least it would be a tax write off,.

I think 30-30 might be your only option now. You tried to put a wacko into a tin can and he broke out - he is much wiser now. Always bring the right tools for the job - in this case a heavy built steel trailer that can handle a big bull ramming out the sides of it.

You might have a chance if you can get a herd of cows with him and take 2 or 3 with him into the trailer. But you will have no chance just getting him by himself.

Won't help you but lots of ropers around here that would be chomping at the bit to catch him.

I'd borrow a dart gun and tranq him and drag him on a better trailer if I couldn't get cowboys after him.

Ebenezer":1z70jnox said:
To be honest, if I was the owner of the registered herd hes been in with, I would have probably utilized this exact solution quite promptly!!! It would mean having to pay off my new Marlin in a hurry, but I could live with that! :cowboy:

It still amazes me if you are going to own cattle why in the world don't you have the facilities and equipment to handle them.
I would shoot him in a heartbeat rather than have problems with the neighbors.
Breakout the FEL and grinder and fill the freezers

Get a good solid trailer to haul him in. Load several cows with him. Haul him and the cows to town. They will have better pens at the sale yard to sort off the cows. Load them back up and take them home. Don't worry about doing it on sale day. In fact it is probably better to do it a day or two early. Heck even a week early. That yard won't be as busy and they will have time to help you sort. The cost of a few days feed at the yard will be worth it. I would get him gone as soon as possible.

Dave":10tr3x1x said:
Get a good solid trailer to haul him in. Load several cows with him. Haul him and the cows to town. They will have better pens at the sale yard to sort off the cows. Load the cows back up and take them home. Don't worry about doing it on sale day. In fact it is probably better to do it a day or two early. Heck even a week early. That yard won't be as busy and they will have time to help you sort. The cost of a few days feed at the yard will be worth it. I would get him gone as soon as possible.

Few years ago one of our neighbors had a jumper/traveler that was downright mean. Ended up shooting him in the head twice with a 30-06 with the intent to butcher but must have hit the sinus cavity and the bull bolted, jumping 3 more fences and ending up in our pasture over a mile away and tried to take out our neighbor on his horse before he made it into the woods. Sonofagun was still alive 2 days later when another neighbor found him in his pasture, still bleeding from the head.

Pick your battles & end it, preferably with a direct hit. Your safety and everyone else that has to deal with him is worth it.

Bigfoot":15ypv885 said:
Gotta say, I'm surprised at how many people would shoot their own stock.
I was referring to the neighbors animal....but if the role was reversed, I would expect the same. If you can't manage an animal, don't have it.....be it a fish, a dog, or a bovine.

Bigfoot":oec8tks4 said:
Gotta say, I'm surprised at how many people would shoot their own stock.

"Crazy Bull" is the operative phrase. We had a hot bull & sold him but would not have hesitated to shoot him if anyone was in danger. A lot less expensive than a hospital bill.

Latest posts