castration tools

Help Support CattleToday:

I went to visit one of my neighbors and he was castrating a stray tomcat-- by sticking it head first into a rubber boot and then went to work with a knife on what was left sticking out .
Told me he got tired of all the litters from strays and had began to castrate every male that came in his yard no matter what species.
I said 'bye' --got in my truck and left.

greybeard":qqxv80e3 said:
I went to visit one of my neighbors and he was castrating a stray tomcat-- by sticking it head first into a rubber boot and then went to work with a knife on what was left sticking out .
Told me he got tired of all the litters from strays and had began to castrate every male that came in his yard no matter what species.
:lol: was he chasing you with his rubber boot as you drove away?

greybeard":1wxn9riv said:
I watched my grandad and uncle get nice and drunk and try that once... that cat fell out of the boot about halfway through the whole proccess and my my grandad kept yelling "HANG ON! HANG ON!" while my uncle had him by the tail and the cat went up his shoulder and over his back and he was drunk enough to hold on.

greybeard":3upoc826 said:
I had started a thread awhile back where I was going to cut the new cat we had gotten. My mind was all set to use a boot. Eventually you all talked me out of the idea and it cost me 70 bucks at the vet.

hooknline":1kx70e9v said:
I had started a thread awhile back where I was going to cut the new cat we had gotten. My mind was all set to use a boot. Eventually you all talked me out of the idea and it cost me 70 bucks at the vet.

Hook my wife is the expert cat castrator. She will pick up an old tom, give him a very small sub-q shot of "knock out drops" and cut him....take him back and lay him back under the same bush he had been sleeping under. When he finally wakes up all he does is like his butt and wonder what's different.

LRTX1
You mentioned putting water in the barrel to quieten things down.
I would seriously be tempted to let some of the squealers "blow a few bubbles" for a bit to shut them up, and hope I didn't drown them, as they can make quite a racket.
About putting a cat in a rubber boot, some people roll them up in a gunny sack ( if you can find one now days with all the plastic sacks around) and then shove their head in a boot. Tends to disable their front paws /claws a bit..
Nite Hawk

Hook my wife is the expert cat castrator. She will pick up an old tom, give him a very small sub-q shot of "knock out drops" and cut him....take him back and lay him back under the same bush he had been sleeping under. When he finally wakes up all he does is like his butt and wonder what's different.[/quote]

Cool, what is "sub-q shot of "knock out drops"?

Jeanne,
Until I lost a 4-month heifer to tetanus this fall (don't know what her injury was), the only case I'd had in my own herd was in a 400-lb bull that I knife-cut, back when I was still in veterinary school.
So... it can happen; much more likely with a band, but cutting 'em isn't without some risk of tetanus, not to mention some I've seen that bled out - either externally or internally.

chipsahoy":hj18p9ft said:
Hook my wife is the expert cat castrator. She will pick up an old tom, give him a very small sub-q shot of "knock out drops" and cut him....take him back and lay him back under the same bush he had been sleeping under. When he finally wakes up all he does is like his butt and wonder what's different.

Cool, what is "sub-q shot of "knock out drops"?[/quote]
I was told recently to use a length of 6" pvc pipe instead of a boot--long enough they can't reach the other end with front paws.
Guy said he had too many turn around in a boot and the leather gave them something to grab hold of while PVC is too smooth to give them a grip.
I used burdizzos on one. Sqaulled some, but it worked.

Jeanne,
You could give tetanus antitoxin(TAT) at the time of band application - or, incorporate a bacterin/toxoid containing tetanus toxoid into the cows' pre-breeding/precalving vaccination protocol, so anti-tetanus antibodies will be passed in the colostrum.

denvermartinfarms":32px7u7d said:
I either cut or if i band i use the old bander with the little green bands. It works on anything you can get a band on. And i have seen some that used these bands like a califonia bander that did not get tight enough and that is a very big mess.
I have always used the little green bands and never had any issues. Quick and easy!

Latest posts