castration tools

Help Support CattleToday:

My grandfather lived by the signs. Everything from planting peas to digging post holes. Every generation loses a little, sometimes a lot, along the way. Wish I could have retained at least half of what he tried to teach me.

On the other side it seems life is so busy anymore one cant wait for the stars to line up to get your jobs done.

<< Ecclesiastes 3 >>
King James Version
1To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
2A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;

3A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;

4A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

5A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;

6A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;

7A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

8A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace

Greybeard that pretty much sums life up to me. A straight edge razor blade works good cuz it's sharp. I carry a case trapper and try to keep 1 of the 2 blades sharp but that doesn't last long.

My grandfather (an ole Georgia farmer) taught me the Farmers' Almanac lesson. We missed a calf when we were castrating, so I caught him in the pasture a few weeks later, and while I was about to cut him, my grandfather hollered out, "it's NOT the right sign!" I thought it looked like the right sign to me.....We caught him, I had my knife, mom wasn't agressively getting after us.....signs looking real good to me! The calf nearly bleed to death. My grandfather converted my line of thinking!

To all you guys/gals that castrate with cutting.
Hubby always cut bottom 1/3 of scotum off. Then took one testicle, carefully sliced down the testicle & pulled the testicles out of the outer membrane sac & popped the membrane holding the bottom to the outer layer. Then he pulled the testicle until the cord popped inside the cavity of the body.
Is this how you do young calves, or do you just pull the whole (intact) testicle out?
Not sure if that made sense. You have the scrotum, then the testicle has a heavy outer layer, and then you have a thinner layer over the actual meat of the testicle (the good part for eating!!!)

Jeanne - Simme Valley":ecgq3r2u said:
To all you guys/gals that castrate with cutting.
Hubby always cut bottom 1/3 of scotum off. Then took one testicle, carefully sliced down the testicle & pulled the testicles out of the outer membrane sac & popped the membrane holding the bottom to the outer layer. Then he pulled the testicle until the cord popped inside the cavity of the body.
Is this how you do young calves, or do you just pull the whole (intact) testicle out?
Not sure if that made sense. You have the scrotum, then the testicle has a heavy outer layer, and then you have a thinner layer over the actual meat of the testicle (the good part for eating!!!)

Oh Jeanne...LOL I can't help with the eating part... :shock: I cut off the bottom 25 to 33% of the scrotum, and then slice through the membrane, and then generally tear the testicles out, or at a minimum, sever (sawing up and down with a sharp), not cutting. I then squirt Wonder Dust on the bottom cut...

Gator - that's the only drawback to castrating right away - they are too small to mess with. They are sooooo good battered & fried - yum!!!
See - there are both methods - I wondered. Seemed to me, when hubby did it at birth - it would be easier to just cut scrotum & pull out the whole testicles - but he ALWAYS cut the outer layer & then pulled.
Any other opinions - I'm 50/50 now.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2bfpcnn7 said:
Gator - that's the only drawback to castrating right away - they are too small to mess with. They are sooooo good battered & fried - yum!!!
See - there are both methods - I wondered. Seemed to me, when hubby did it at birth - it would be easier to just cut scrotum & pull out the whole testicles - but he ALWAYS cut the outer layer & then pulled.

Jeanne
We do it the way your husband did it. Cut the tunic (that is what it is called), then pop the testicle out and pull (after cutting the bottom 1/3 of the sac). Sometimes we push the skin up so the cord breaks closer inside the body cavity. We cut all our pigs that way also. It was amazing to see people show up with 5 gallon buckets to collect the little things for supper! We did at least 250 pigs every quarter, so lots of testes! We used to call it testes feste!!! College days....

We used to castrate pigs by dropping them in a 25 gallon drum and hanging their back legs over the rim, took all the wiggle out of them. Talk about a loud racket though, neighbors heard it a mile away.

strictly banding here with pliers, have never cut one - don't know how, too old to learn.........

I find cutting with a scalpel is quicker than stuffing around with rubber band/burdizzo. Been out to way to many properties to fix up bulls that have had burdizzos not performed properly or rubber bands that not tight enough.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2btrl40p said:

Jeanne, you may have to switch to how I'm doing it. I've always tailed the calf while the vet cut. We also have calves to be dehorned at the same time. My husbands health is failing so when the vet was here in Oct he gave vaccinations while I moved them to the the chute & tailed them.

BTW, we lost a nice big steer 3 years ago to tetanus after cutting. We ALWAYS give the tetanus anti-toxin(I think that's what it is, vet brings it) at cutting/dehorning. I think it's also recommended when banding.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":28pbl8wf said:
Chris - actually it isn't even recommended to give tetanus if cutting - not that anyone says you shouldn't - just not "needed" if cutting - supposedly. Guess you would argue that point!

Yes, I'd argue the point.
I looked into using a Callicrate Bander several years ago, and they recommend using the Tetanus Toxoid. The Tetanus Antitoxin is for immediate protection for an open wound. Callicrate information says that doesn't give long enough protection for banding. So it is the Antitoxin our vet uses when cutting or dehorning.
The lot where we lost the calf had horses about 10 years ago. I know people with horses are advised to get a tetanus vaccine if they get a deep cut, I assume that applies to cattle. Tetanus will live in the soil a long time, and if you lose 1 then you better vaccinate or use the antitoxin. I also switched to turning them back out on a good sod instead of a drylot situation to limit exposure.
Tetanus is a Clostridium but it's not usually in the 7 or 8 way clostridium vaccines. I'm religious in my use of clostridium vaccines. Thanks to you to spur me to looking up this information, I think I'll also start using one of the vaccines that include tetanus, Covexin 8, Bar-Vac CD/T, Vision CD/T with Spur, or Cavalry 9. :tiphat:

Nite Hawk":3uwc4uz6 said:
LRTX1
Do you have an ability to hear after castrating pigs in that manner?? :lol: :lol:

If its too loud for you I imagine one could put about 15 gallons of water in the drum to filter some of the noise down.... :shock:

It was loud but the trade off was it was super quick and easy.

Latest posts