Castration question

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
My husband used to scalpel cut all our male calves (vs. band). After losing my husband, my nephew moved in with me. We band anything that we decide at birth will be a steer. But, I taught him how to castrate by cutting. I tail the calf, he castrates.
Hubby always pulled down 1 testicle & cut the outside sheath & popped the testicle out and then either pulled the cord til it snapped (young ones) or used the emasculators to crush & cut the cord.
Do you take the outside sheath off the testicle? I am not referring to the scrotum - bottom 1/3 of scrotum is cut off. I have seen on Vet TV shows that they just take the testicle out whole. What are your thoughts?

I use a pocket knife to cut the bottom of scrotum off, and pull - squeeze one nut out at a time, wrap the cord around my finger and pull the nut till the cord snaps. No or very little blood if you castrate on the dark of the moon.

True Grit Farms":f2kb2o4p said:
I use a pocket knife to cut the bottom of scrotum off, and pull - squeeze one nut out at a time, wrap the cord around my finger and pull the nut till the cord snaps. No or very little blood if you castrate on the dark of the moon.
:nod:
+1

True Grit Farms":s3dostpa said:
x2, but with a scalpel. Plus, with any cord left hanging out of the scrotum, I put a little tension on it to stretch it out, abrade with the knife to sever it at the scrotum so it snaps back up in there, no clean cuts with a sharp knife on the cords. I don't want any cords hanging outside the healing bag.

How big a calf can you do that? (pull the cord instead of crushing/cutting) Weight ? Great to hear you don't have to take that sheath off - just adds a lot of time to the process and I feel there is less swelling (and bleeding) if done quickly.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2jrt3d6p said:
How big a calf can you do that? (pull the cord instead of crushing/cutting) Weight ? Great to hear you don't have to take that sheath off - just adds a lot of time to the process and I feel there is less swelling (and bleeding) if done quickly.

I'm not sure. I wouldn't want them to be too much bigger than 4-500 pounds myself. I am cutting mine when they are around 250-300 pounds or so. Some of the bigger ones are getting hard to pull by then, and I think if it's hard on me, it's got to be worse on them. Although I would hate to band any, I have heard of some folks buying bulls and banding them as big as 600 lbs. I am not experienced with them, but they say a clamp is the ticket on larger bulls. Idk about the success rate though.

talltimber - yes, agree. We band up to about 250-300#. Depending if he can "fit" them into the little band. I was thinking over 4-500# they might not be very easy to "snap". Thanks all, for this info.

Well, banding, you could go with a calicrate or the XL bander. I was thinking, cutting them, how big would it be ok?

I'm sure there are guys here who have cut, banded, clamped about any size you would want to talk about.

We have cut bulls up to 7-800#. I only have the one size bander for small calves. There is going to be lots of different opinions on here, but all the research shows any method for newborn is very little stress. As they get older, cutting is less stress than banding. I know if I HAD to lose a finger, I would want them to lop it off quickly, instead of letting it die a slow death with a band. ouch

talltimber":23f7uwm4 said:
True Grit Farms":23f7uwm4 said:
x2, but with a scalpel. Plus, with any cord left hanging out of the scrotum, I put a little tension on it to stretch it out, abrade with the knife to sever it at the scrotum so it snaps back up in there, no clean cuts with a sharp knife on the cords. I don't want any cords hanging outside the healing bag.

I use a sharp blade on my pocket knife or scalpel to cut the bottom half of the sack. Nut in my hand cord between my index finger and middle finger and pull like he'll. On a big calf I use the dull blade(. The one I use to scrape my boots off before going in the house) to scrape the sheath up until it gives. To sharp a blade here can cause a mess.

Jeanne if its a tuff nut to pull out doing it like your husband did makes it easier. Nothing wrong with doing it the way your husband did it. My dad did it that way.