castrating questions (logistics)

Help Support CattleToday:

lukem86

Reaction score
Looking for a little advice here.... i have 2 bull calves, im guessing around 450 lbs give or take, that need to be castrated. Im having the vet out next week to cut them....

The chute I have is basically a headgate mounted on corral panels (half sheeted). The headgate handles mature cows. I have never run the calves into the chute before.

Any ideas for helping restrain the calves while in the chute? What experiences have you had running the calves this size in a chute like this and cutting them?

I thought I would end up just sliding in and pinning the calf up against one side while the vet cuts em.?.?.?.?

Curious how some of you would handle this situation. Planning on getting a squeeze next year for this very reason. Thanks

The Vet will probally tell you where you need to be duing this process but don't stress this to much, If the head gate is well secured that is the most important thing now no one will get hurt from the calf breaking loose during the procedure. Holding the calfs tail back as far as you can keeping it straight. The calf is going to try to twist it out of your hands but you need to keep it straight and holding constant pressure will pretty much prevent the calf from kicking the castrator. If you can stand over the calf instead of beside him it will save your toes and will allow you to hold his tail a little better. We have cut alot of calfs with nothing but a head gate before we got a squeeze.

lukem86":3ajstojk said:
The chute I have is basically a headgate mounted on corral panels (half sheeted). The headgate handles mature cows. I have never run the calves into the chute before.

Is your head gate adjustable? There is a fair amount of difference between a mature cow (+/- 1000 lbs) and a 450 lb (give or take) calf - the head gate will probably not be able to hold these calves.

What experiences have you had running the calves this size in a chute like this and cutting them?

98% of the time - no problem. Of course, there was that one who jumped and resulted in Dad to severing a major artery in his arm. Fortunately, the EMT's were very good.

I thought I would end up just sliding in and pinning the calf up against one side while the vet cuts em.?.?.?.?

I wouldn't count on it. Even if you weigh 200 lb's, a 450 lb calf outweighs you by 2.5 times - who do you think is going to win?

Curious how some of you would handle this situation. Planning on getting a squeeze next year for this very reason. Thanks

A squeeze simply presents a different set of problems - lack of room to work, but they can still jump around. I, personally, would handle it by castrating sooner when they are more manageable and not buying bull calves - but, that is just me.

If it was me I'd get him in the headgate, tie a rope around one back leg and have someone secure it, and at 450lbs I'd band rather than cut. I use the callicrate bander for larger calves and hit with a shot of tetanus toxoid. Not hard to do and you save the vet fees.

I just have a chute with a head gate , no squeeze , we have never cut any we use a big bander , they usually carry on when you first catch them but then they settle and ti works pretty good.

We had four bull calfs castrated this last June. My shoot is about 30 inch wide with a head gate on the end. We (me and the Vet) rand the little ones in around two hundred pound and just used the headgate to cut them. Really had no problem than getting kicked in the thigh. For the bigger calf the vet I use like to band them from 400 pound and up. One more thing is the rails I have are rough cut 2x6's.

I think you should not have any problems.

All the best
sam

Although we have a squeeze chute, Monday was the second time that we've ever used the squeeze. The vet was ultrasound preg checking a cow that kept wiggling around while he was trying to deterine the sex of the calf. Sqeezed her and she stood still. The other time was a cow with a 2 bad wheels. Whenever I picked one up she would sag down. Squeezed her tight enough that she coudln;t go all the way down. Many moons ago when we branded in the cute we squeezed them, but for general use it isn;t necesarry. But when you need to squeeze, I don;t think there is anything that will take it's place.

dun

while he may not like it, it's a pretty safe bet your vet has worked in worse conditions than that. ;-)

Just adjust the headgate down small enough that the calf can't slip out. Stand above it and pull the tail straight up. I have cut 100's of bulls in the 400-500 pound size that way. I always told the youngest boy who generally is the one tailing the calf for me, "if I get kicked you're next". I have never been kicked. I have even done this with a 13 year old girl holding the tail.
Dave

Dave":14njlro6 said:
Just adjust the headgate down small enough that the calf can't slip out

for calves that size (450 lbs), it shouldn't be a problem, but some headgates don't adjust. if you have one that won't adjust & the calves are smaller than you estimate, you can usually hold their head down & they won't be able to back out (they usually taper down & are smaller at the bottom).

thanks for the advice...

i think we'll give the tail holding a go this year.... its only 2 calves..... the headgate it adjustable (its made for a vet chute, but i just have solid side panels on it) And I think I will stick with having the vet cut em this year, although I did get a nice demonstration on the Callicrate bander at the farm progress show today....

lukem86":1vtagw3g said:
thanks for the advice...

i think we'll give the tail holding a go this year.... its only 2 calves..... the headgate it adjustable (its made for a vet chute, but i just have solid side panels on it) And I think I will stick with having the vet cut em this year, although I did get a nice demonstration on the Callicrate bander at the farm progress show today....

I don't have anything purebred and don't produce breeding stock. So, I band the bull calves the day they are born. It sure makes things much simpler for me.

backhoeboogie":3uzpcpdd said:
I don't have anything purebred and don't produce breeding stock. So, I band the bull calves the day they are born. It sure makes things much simpler for me.

I'll take that testosterone for 450-550 pounds as a growth stimulant any day & band with the appropriate equipment - not any more difficult than when doing it at birth if you have the proper equipment.

backhoeboogie":330phz65 said:
lukem86":330phz65 said:
thanks for the advice...

Sorry for the hijack, but I tried banding day olds last year. The first three bulls I could not get both testicles to desend, so I gave up and we will cut them next week, (5 months). Is the problem with the testicles common?

Alan

Alan":3t8gyfly said:
backhoeboogie":3t8gyfly said:
lukem86":3t8gyfly said:
thanks for the advice...

Sorry for the hijack, but I tried banding day olds last year. The first three bulls I could not get both testicles to desend, so I gave up and we will cut them next week, (5 months). Is the problem with the testicles common?

Alan

I don't have a problem getting them both. I lock the applicator full open and hold it in place in the right hand, hold everything else between my index and middle finger of my left hand and release the band gently.

As far as equipment goes, I can pretty much do anything. A vet friend tried to buy my portable pens and chutes. They are fabbed out of 3 inch tube steel, guilotine gates, swing gates, cut gates, head gates, drop and lift gates on the chute. It is a darn nice set up and I am proud of it. Works for me. Vet says it is a better set up than what bought. I had used enough of them in my life before I built my own. Probably a whole bunch of overkill for my small potatoe operation.

Proverbs 12:10":3fkr9rjz said:
If it was me I'd get him in the headgate, tie a rope around one back leg and have someone secure it, and at 450lbs I'd band rather than cut. I use the callicrate bander for larger calves and hit with a shot of tetanus toxoid. Not hard to do and you save the vet fees.

I agree band'em! No blood -- less worry.

lukem86":3jbfbwv4 said:
Is the tetanus absolutely necessary when banding?

I think it depends on the area, some place may not need to - check with you vet before you opt not to. I always do it, since they're in the shoot anyway & it doesn't cost that much. I usually do a combo shot of blackleg & tentanus which even lowers the price more than doing just a tetanus shot alone - go figure. You can get the combo shot for about 1/2 the price of just tentanus alone!

Latest posts