Castrating newborn bull calf

Help Support CattleToday:

We wait until they have their feet under them and are started nicely...don't want to add any additional stress to a weak calf.
Two in hand release the band...
DMc

Castrate newborns if you want, but it is a bad idea. I let my neighbors talk me into banding newborn bull calves 2 yrs ago. I had the sorriest bunch of weaned calves I have ever had. They were at least 50-75 lbs lighter than normal and looked wimpy and weak. They didn't bring any more money per pound than bulls. Staying bulls makes them grow faster, be more agressive to eat and be healthier. I would like to leave them bulls clear up to slaughter if possible.

leboeuf":2xsp71zm said:
I'm sure this has been covered many times before, but can someone describe the method of using a knife.
Sharp knife, two cuts, access testicle and pull out (Some farmers say cut the vas, others say just rip out to help with clotting). then turn lose? any antibiotics or iodine?

I can't help you with the two cuts thing, I'm not sure why that would be necessary. We just cut off the lower 1/3 of the scrotum, pulled out the testicles, splashed with a mixture of a couple of drops of lysol in a 5 quart bucket of water, and turned them loose. All castrated calves were watched for the possibility of infection. We always branded/castrated before fly season but, if you wait til the flies are a problem, then you need to apply a fly spray and a screw worm spray. The problem with cutting the vas deferens is that it tends to cause more bleeding than one usually likes to see.

msscamp":6guyq35s said:
leboeuf":6guyq35s said:
I'm sure this has been covered many times before, but can someone describe the method of using a knife.
Sharp knife, two cuts, access testicle and pull out (Some farmers say cut the vas, others say just rip out to help with clotting). then turn lose? any antibiotics or iodine?

I can't help you with the two cuts thing, I'm not sure why that would be necessary. We just cut off the lower 1/3 of the scrotum, pulled out the testicles, splashed with a mixture of a couple of drops of lysol in a 5 quart bucket of water, and turned them loose. All castrated calves were watched for the possibility of infection. We always branded/castrated before fly season but, if you wait til the flies are a problem, then you need to apply a fly spray and a screw worm spray. The problem with cutting the vas deferens is that it tends to cause more bleeding than one usually likes to see.
I like the two cuts. Neater that way. Just personal preference.

Ryder":2odmblhq said:
msscamp":2odmblhq said:
leboeuf":2odmblhq said:

Would you mind explaining this technique to me? Thanks!

msscamp":21bhk80l said:
Ryder":21bhk80l said:
msscamp":21bhk80l said:

Would you mind explaining this technique to me? Thanks!
With one hand catch the scrotum above a testicle and squeeze testicle to bottom of scrotum. Then make a cut going all the way to bottom of scotum for good drainage. Squeeze testicle out and pull out just like other method. Pull out cord until it breaks. If any is hanging out, wrap it around your finger and pull out some more. Scrape it to seperate it if you need to like discussed before. Probably the best way on larger animals is to hold it high up with hemostats to crush it and reduce bleeding. Sever below the hemostats.

Now do the other side the same way.
See the diagram on the link ALX posted above showing how the incision should look. Directions say to make the cut on side toward leg. Make it on side, front or back-whatever is convenient for the position of you and calf at the time.

I like a scalpel (although when I first came on the boards I was ridiculed for preferring a scalpel over a knife. But some small people will ridicule anything while running up their number of posts.)
A scapel is sharp. Don't hold it by the end of handle. The closer you hold to the blade, the more control you have. Same for knife. If you are confident or risky, you can just use the blade without a handle. But hand the scalpel or knife to someone or lay it aside when you are pullng testicle out if you are using both hands, so as not to forget and cut yourself.

Now do the other side.
Doesn't really take very long after you have done it a couple of times. Hope my explanation makes sense. If not, ask and I will try to clarify.

That is a great link! Have bookmarked it to add to my website page for help to others. Would love to have a site just like that but for dehorning methods. That is something that we have never had to deal with but get asked about it all the time. Thanks again
DBL R

Latest posts