Castrating newborn bull calf

Help Support CattleToday:

pauline

Reaction score
Are there any adverse effects on the bull calf if we put a rubber band on him right after birth? Even before he gets his colostrum?

No adverse effects specifically.

Also heed previous advice, and that early they may not be readily evident and will most likely be slick.

I generally do not fool with calves until they have been on the ground for 12 hours and had a chance to clean up and dry off and nurse and bond with mama. especially important with first calf heifers.
they have to adapt to the new responsibility of mamahood and if you interfere too early I have seen heifers walk away and keep walking.

If this is a stupid question, then I apologize in advance, do not mean to offend. That being said ~ you are not truly using a rubber band ~ right? You have the bands for banding calves?

I would not band the calf until it is at least 24 hours old.

The very first thing you should do to the new calf is iodine the naval really good and ensure that it gets colostrum asap. If the cow is attentive and cleaning the calf off it will usually get up right away and go for it's first meal . After that I would leave them alone so they can bond. Then worry about banding , tagging and/if dehorning when the calf is content and dry and mom is attentive and a good mommy.

I for one do not like putting any stress on the calf or cow when the little one first pops out unless absolutely necessary like iodine naval and giving collimune and calf guard.

I band at weaning now but when I banded them when they were small I waited till they were about a week old and I knew everthing was okay.

Colostrum is #1. I wouldn't disturb suckling to dip navel, tag or band. I like to give them 24 hours as well, but have seen it be a week or more before they were tagged/banded etc...

Be careful with new mommas, I like to wait until she leaves the calf and gets feeding before moving in and seperating them for the short time it takes to tag/band/vitamin shots etc...

pauline":318ixlgs said:
Are there any adverse effects on the bull calf if we put a rubber band on him right after birth? Even before he gets his colostrum?

The bull calves that I band, I generally wait at least 12-24 hours before I mess with the calf. Simply to allow bonding between mother and calf and not disturb anything. Usually, I will wait until the next day, then tag, weigh, and band if necessary.

I have experienced it a few times where the calf's little guys haven't dropped down into the scrotum the first 24 hours or so. Sometimes have to wait a couple days on these calves.

Follow prior good advice to insure you have both little guys in the sac. Check before putting the band on, and then check after the elastrator is taken off.

I have been banding as soon as possible. Usually 4 to 6 hours after birth. Been considering changing that policy to a few weeks old when I can get momma to bring baby into the sorting pen so I can separate them. Getting tired of having to dodge a protective momma in the middle of some briar patch.

In my opinion, new born calves get along just fine without any interference from their owners. Our mommas calve out in the pasture and are in charge of raising their calves. When we pen and work the cattle in the spring, we will cut, tag, vaccinate and brand the calves as needed, but not before. I have never applied iodine to a new born's navel and I have only very rarely had to treat a navel infection. I will intervene only when necessary and cull any cow that can't perform her job of raising a healthy calf every year. In my opinion, a newborn should not need shots, tags, vitamins or bands. They get everything they need from their momma. And they sure don't need some curious human getting between then and their mother. New mother cows can be as dangerous as any bull. Just my opinion based on raising a lot of calves over a lot of years. They are very hearty, robust animals that can usually survive just fine on their own. Just keep good grass in front of them and let them do the rest.

We let the cow clean the calf off and let the calf get that first nursing done. Then we like to catch them napping after that, then we band the bulls, tag 'em, dehorn 'em, iodine the naval and kick them out to pasture.

Hawk if that cow does not stay with her calf and just walks away all the time, she hits the road. Had a couple of cows like that, they are now a memory. No second chance with that issue.

Hoss know what you are talking about, we seperate them and get the calf done and they are out.

HOSS":74xuzsjm said:
I have been banding as soon as possible. Usually 4 to 6 hours after birth. Been considering changing that policy to a few weeks old when I can get momma to bring baby into the sorting pen so I can separate them. Getting tired of having to dodge a protective momma in the middle of some briar patch.

Take a few loads of birdshot in with ya HOSS, get those mommas outta them thar briars!

Just kidding. :lol: :lol:

you are not truly using a rubber band ~ right? You have the bands for banding calves?

No, we use the calf banding bands too. We usually try to catch the calf on the second day. But sometimes we miss the chance or the mama is being too protective, then we'll wait until the calf is a few months old. We then put him in a squeeze chute and band him. But I think.. then... it would be ... too ... painful :? .

pauline":1eb29107 said:
until the calf is a few months old. We then put him in a squeeze chute and band him. But I think.. then... it would be ... too ... painful :? .

Have you ever seen a cow kick another cow? That same kick would put you or I in the hospital but they just go on about their business like nothing happened. They are a lot tougher than we are and evidently have a much higher threshold for pain than we do. Many lefties lose sight of this in the efforts to make us be more HUMANe to the animals. I hope we don't have to start buying our cows shoes cause I imagine it would appear that walking barefoot in the cold mud and snow is uncomfortable as well. (Not preaching just wanting to add some perspective) :tiphat:

I like to give the cow/calf the first 24 hr. without interference unless it appears needed. Then I'll get him the first chance I get while he's still small enough to handle easily. I think the earlier I do the deed the less stressful on the calf.
I also agree with those who say a Bull calf will gain faster than a steer, but I'm not set up to have a lot of little Bulls running around at 6/7 months old.

Fitz

Pauline. I am by no means experienced in this but we banded our bull calf who is a bottle baby. I was very nervous that he would kick and fight and would become terribly uncomfortable afterwards going off feed and such, especially because he was 2 1/2 months old. Our little guy didn't even know we put it on! He never even flinched. I think that most peoples calves put up a fight more out of fear and not alot of handling because the calves have moms, so they don't get messed with as much as bottle calves, not because it actually hurts. He never got sick, or noticeably uncomfortable. Just my experience.
I know you are more seasoned than me but good luck!

I'm sure this has been covered many times before, but can someone describe the method of using a knife.
Sharp knife, two cuts, access testicle and pull out (Some farmers say cut the vas, others say just rip out to help with clotting). then turn lose? any antibiotics or iodine?

pauline":2ppz9t4z said:

Yeah, there are. The first one is that the more you mess with a newborn calf, the greater the chances of his mother rejecting him (not to mention the chances of her hurting you) - particularly with a first calf heifer. The 2nd one is that it is a proven fact that intact male calves gain better than castrated ones, so why not give them a month or so before castrating them? A 3rd possibility is that a newborn calf is already stressed from the process of delivery, so why add to that stress if you don't have to?

leboeuf":2qeotvmb said:
I'm sure this has been covered many times before, but can someone describe the method of using a knife.
Sharp knife, two cuts, access testicle and pull out (Some farmers say cut the vas, others say just rip out to help with clotting). then turn lose? any antibiotics or iodine?

I don't do two cuts, I cut the bottom 1/3 or so of the scrotum off then pull the testicles out. If they are large I will kind of pinch the cords tight and run that hand back and forth a bit before really pulling but for little ones they come right out - you can do both at the same time with one hand. On really big older calves that don't feel like they are going pull (thick cord or just huge testicles - longhorns are really bad) I will kind of scrape the cord with the blade rather than make a clean cut.

On the bigger ones if you are doing one at a time often the second one will rise back into the body - you can usually press on the flank area and it will come back out. Best way is to get somebody to show you, but I figured it out on my own (I'm a female so when I was a kid my jobs were vaccinating and branding - none of those men were going to show me how to castrate. :lol2:

I use disposable scalpel blades in a metal handle. Number 12's in a number 3 handle if I recall correctly. Sharp knife is just as good.

Latest posts