Cash for grass/paying to graze

Help Support CattleToday:

Ouachita

Reaction score
I have a neighboring land owner with about 35 acres of bahai bermuda mix, and some native grasses. Grass is good, but thin enough that the man who normally cuts it for hay has moved his equipment north and east of here. Doesn't want to mess with 35 acres in our area that is currently still in moderate drought. Which may have opened up an opportunity for me. I'm out of grass, feeding hay and some cubes already. I would like to offer to pay the neighbor some $$ or maybe beef in trade for grazing his grass (while I get my rye in on the 30 acres I did last year on my place, for late fall/winter grazing) What is customary for a deal like this? Any other ideas or considerations I'm overlooking?

The place only made about 2.5 rolls (4x5's) per acre first cutting. It might make half that right now. The guy that normally cuts their hay keeps 2 out of 3 rolls. So, I'm thinking even if they did cut it, neighbor would only end up with about 15 rolls to sell. They have no cattle themselves. Land is in a family trust. I would gladly pay the going rate per roll ($60), times 15, to graze till frost. So, I'm thinking about a $1,000? Is that a reasonable offer?

BTW, the neighbor is a good one; we have a good fence between us :D , and I currently have 30 head. I'm thinking by the looks of his grass, it would last till frost, when my rye should be up good.

Is there a fence around his place? If yes
I would figure what it would save me in buying hay- then offer him less
and negotiate up.
In the end its worth more to you than the value of hay as you won't have any labor involved feeding pasture.

Yes, it is fenced, so the only thing that would cost time or money would be me installing a gate between my land and their land (for easier movement of the livestock).

So, $15 per month, per head, would work out to $450 per month for my 30 head (that's counting the calves too). First frost is usually first week of November. Thanks for the onfo. I don't think I'm to far off in what I expect to pay. Any other advise out there?

Ouachita":1bicab0w said:
Yes, it is fenced, so the only thing that would cost time or money would be me installing a gate between my land and their land (for easier movement of the livestock).

So, $15 per month, per head, would work out to $450 per month for my 30 head (that's counting the calves too). First frost is usually first week of November. Thanks for the onfo. I don't think I'm to far off in what I expect to pay. Any other advise out there?

Going rate here is 2.00 a day per pair , and we are not in a drought. When in a drought pasture can be as much as 3 bucks a day per pair. If you need the feed take the pasture .

Going rate here is 2.00 a day per pair , and we are not in a drought. When in a drought pasture can be as much as 3 bucks a day per pair. If you need the feed take the pasture .[/quote]
Hillsdown, that does not pencil out to any profit that I can see. Tell us how it works.
Here I give $5-8 per month. I know I am cheap but 2-3 per day seems very high.

We are 12 to 15 dollars a month for pairs. If it's good grass then it's gonna be on the higher end. You need to at least offer him what he would have made in hay and maybe a bit more.
Think about what it's worth to you to not feed em for that time.

Thanks for all the replies. This info gives me a good idea of what to offer when I call him. I really think, even if he had someone cut the hay on the halves (which is unlikely given how thin it is), he might get a $1000 when he sells it. It's worth at least that to me, so I'll start there and see what happens. Even doing the math you guys have provided works out about the same; 30 head @ $10 each per month is $300 per month for 3 months, $900. I just needed some reassurance that I was in the ballpark, and you guys have helped me alot.

I wouldn't count on the 35 acers lasting for 3 months so I would suggest trying to lease it for as long as the grass last. Fly over it and you will have a better idea what it looks like, you'll be surprised!

Just my 2 cents worth.

f-g

He may consider the soil type and compression. Cows can damage hay fields. If it is sand, they could help it by grazing. I have some optimum hay fields that I would never put cows on. Others can go either way.

Latest posts