CASH FOR CLUNKERS

Help Support CattleToday:

I find it pretty sad that giving away tax payer money is deemed a success when it happens so quickly.

Walt

we junked out a 97 chevy 1500 z71 for $3500 this week.have a 2008 chevy 1500.an a new 2009 chevy 1500 4x4.

I wonder if you can trade in 2 or 3 clunkers on the same deal and if you can trade for a Honda or does it have to be a Ford or GM?

I'd trade in the 88 pickup,but couldn't make the payments--pickup's paid for..

I was under the impression that the idea was to entice people to spend money to stir up the economy, and that any other benefits were just gravy. A program like this is where all the bailouts should have started in the first place. And everybody knew it but the politicians.

It sure did a lot more good than the hundreds of billions we gave to wall street and the banks that was mostly pissed away on executive bonuses. As far as I know, about the only change it made there was upping credit card interest rates to 30%.

And that was a BIG help.

ga. prime":hciz3v6j said:
I wonder if you can trade in 2 or 3 clunkers on the same deal and if you can trade for a Honda or does it have to be a Ford or GM?
You can only trade in one clunker, and it has to get less that 18 mpg.

Lammie":2jymcvkj said:
1982vett":2jymcvkj said:
Can't trade it in for anything remotely usable to me either.

Can't pull a trailer with a Honda Civic? :D

Got that right. Second, hard to fold up to get into one, then try getting back out without rolling on the ground first. :lol2:

MO_cows":e6wm5hsh said:
FarmGirl10":e6wm5hsh said:
john250":e6wm5hsh said:
I'm curious, FarmGirl. If the govt doesn't come up with the money are you still committed to the deal? Do you have possession of the car? Whatcha gonna get?
If the govt doesnt come up with the money, I do not have to buy the car. I do not have possession of the car, but other dealers have already given the cars to their buyers. There is a local dealer that is stuck with a loss of $160,000 if the govt doesn't come up with the money. If they come up with the money, I'm going to get a G6. Otherwise I might go buy that '70 Z28 i found. :)

The Z28 would be a great car, but not as a daily driver. Been there, done that with a 68 Chevelle SS. The "restoration" work was never finished once it became driveable. You can pass everything but a gas station, UNLESS there is one snowflake on the ground, then you will just fishtail around and not even make it to the gas station. If you really like the G6, the $4500 would probably make the new one the same price as one a year or two old.
little by little im restoring my old 69 SS but it want be driven daily... be carefull with clones on that Z28

upfrombottom":1ptntnq5 said:
not trying to but in here, but I took my mom (72) to look at a new vehicle. She has a fully loaded 2004 Ford Explorer with 46,000 mi. I told her to keep it but when she gets her mind on something theres no turning back. She was afraid when the warranty ran out something would happen to it. She wanted to trade for the same make model they offered her 4000.00 for it.They claimed the economy is so bad that no car dealers can get used vehicles financed. The said that they only go by auction estimates now and not the blue book values. Kind of sounds like the cow business
they can.. he@# that's all were selling is used..

Oldtimer":12mxlc65 said:
From the vote it looks like it passed 3 to 1 and had a great deal of bi-partisan support....

On Friday, the House passed an additional $2 billion in aid for the Consumer Assistance to Recycle & Save Program by a vote to 316 to 109. The bill (H.R. 3435), known as "cash for clunkers," will shift funding from an energy loan program that was included in the economic stimulus plan passed earlier this year. The Senate plans to take up the legislation early next week.

Ahhhh...that was a very good move. At least part of the stimulus money is actually going to work and long before late 2010 to 2012.

1982vett":1qjpcdah said:
Lammie":1qjpcdah said:
1982vett":1qjpcdah said:
Can't trade it in for anything remotely usable to me either.

Got that right. Second, hard to fold up to get into one, then try getting back out without rolling on the ground first. :lol2:

You should be used to that from your Vette. I find that sitting sideways on the seat and pivoting in is the best way to get in. It's hard to get used to doing that after climbing in and out of the truck, though. I hate his car, I truly do. I wish he'd get something sensible.

Lammie":21clm748 said:
You should be used to that from your Vette. I find that sitting sideways on the seat and pivoting in is the best way to get in. It's hard to get used to doing that after climbing in and out of the truck, though. I hate his car, I truly do. I wish he'd get something sensible.

One of my sons has a Toyota Corolla that I drive once in a while, gets 36mpg. Pivoting doesn't work for me on that one, my knee won't go under the steering wheel. I have to step into it. It's aggravating getting in and out but it's pretty comfortable once you're seated.

i hate too see a late model corvette pull in the drive i have too squat down outside it put my head in first then butt last.. and its always old men who drive em they have too wadd their old ass up just too get in em, they all have the same mentality i got one and you don't ....,,,, now you pull in with a 67 427 stingray you got my attention...

Jim62":19uy8b7q said:
You gotta admit, it's kind of nice that the normal people are getting a little help finally.

Up to now, we've just been giving millions to the billionaires.

I don't know who thought of this scheme, but it's darn sure a step in the right direction.

It is just another ploy to squeeze money out of the tax payer. The big problem with this program is it actually cost more than the 4500.00 per car. Some government watchdog groups put the actual cost at several thousand more dollars per automobile rebated. There is huge additional government cost associated with oversite, paperwork processing, computer systems, car towing, car disabling, disposal and tracking. The last I heard is that the math worked out to almost 20k spent for every car filed in the program so far. Your government bureaucracy at work as usual.

My problem is that I am funding the purchase of an automobile for someone else. The government would be better served by giving me a 4500.00 income tax break so that I can go out and buy a car for myself or one of my kids. Alot of this tax subsidy will just go to impulse buyers who will trade a paid for car for more debt which they will default on.

Whenever the government meddles in the private sector they always do more damage than good.

alacattleman":1m4jwyso said:
i hate too see a late model corvette pull in the drive i have too squat down outside it put my head in first then butt last.. and its always old men who drive em they have too wadd their old ass up just too get in em, they all have the same mentality i got one and you don't ....,,,, now you pull in with a 67 427 stingray you got my attention...

Yep, the 83 models and up never made my heart flutter either.
Lammie":1m4jwyso said:
1982vett":1m4jwyso said:
Lammie":1m4jwyso said:

Age and weight has changed that senerio. But really it wasn't hard to get in and out of. You didn't have to slide around a door post to get in and be extra careful you didn't clock yourself on the rooftop while getting in. Didn't have a dash at kneecap height either. Slide the seat back and their was lots of leg room. Never did snag my britches cuff on the park brake either. :mad:

ga. prime":2aebmvpm said:
Lammie":2aebmvpm said:

One of my sons has a Toyota Corolla that I drive once in a while, gets 36mpg. Pivoting doesn't work for me on that one, my knee won't go under the steering wheel. I have to step into it. It's aggravating getting in and out but it's pretty comfortable once you're seated.

Some of those little cars, you don't get in them so much as you "put them on".

Latest posts