Carcass results

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
We have (had) 4 steers on the Cornell Feedlot Program. 2 Macho steers & 2 others. Got the results from the first steer harvested - a Macho son. Had a total of 4.3# ADG
Weighted 1382# live, 879# HCW (that's 63.6% yield), 0.3 BF, 17.7 REA, 3% KHP, 1.6 Yield Gr, Ch +, went CAB at $1.46#
MONEY MAKER!!!
Haven't harvested the last 3 yet, 1301# - 3.7# ADG (Macho), 1282# - 3.7# & 1282# - 3.6# - so I'm sure they will be shipped soon.
Total steers on test have a 3.2# ADG

Jeanne - Simme Valley":38zb8yw6 said:
We have (had) 4 steers on the Cornell Feedlot Program. 2 Macho steers & 2 others. Got the results from the first steer harvested - a Macho son. Had a total of 4.3# ADG
Weighted 1382# live, 879# HCW (that's 63.6% yield), 0.3 BF, 17.7 REA, 3% KHP, 1.6 Yield Gr, Ch +, went CAB at $1.46#
MONEY MAKER!!!

This was a Macho son? I thought CAB didn't allow Continental breeding?
That is a valuable carcass, congrats.

I don't want to start a CAB explosion. CAB's only live requirement is that they are at least 50% black hided and are not dairy type cattle, after they are harvested, they have strict carcass requirements - so yes, continental are just fine. And yes, this was a PB simmental, solid black. Yes, that's $1283. But at any price - that kind of gain will make anyone money.

Jeanne,

Is that your Macho bull in the ABS catalog?

Congratulations, Love those CAB premiums! Jeanne. I'd be interested in how the rest of them grade. Thanks for sharing.

Ouch! I hadn't read the "CAB" post - I was not trying to put salt in the wound. :shock:
I have ALWAYS supported the CAB program - I think it has improved the perception of quality beef with the consumer.

There were 5 other steers shipped at the same time that qualified CAB - All were Ch 3 YG, mine was Ch 1 YG. Meaning he was NOT fat but graded CH +

Frankie - I will post the results of the rest of mine when they are harvested.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":385ka340 said:
Ouch! I hadn't read the "CAB" post - I was not trying to put salt in the wound. :shock:
I have ALWAYS supported the CAB program - I think it has improved the perception of quality beef with the consumer.

What wound? Your program is a prime example of what CAB has done for the Angus breed. And the Simmental breed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but over the years, I've had the impression that you really don't like black Simmentals, you preferred the older style? But you bowed to customer's demands and have created a wonderful bull that produces what our market demands, a high quality meat that will bring consumers back for more.

Congrats Jeanne! The results of your steers are the main reason that breeding the Conts to angus, herefords, and other british is popular. I believe you said they were bred to angus?

The good yield grades (REA's) being there along with marbling and carcass size is the key to success.

When we get tenderness factored into beef grading, beef demand should rise.

With the gain in popularity of angus cows the continental bull sales will continue to escalate. Works out good for everyone.

MikeC - I agree the cont X british = great carcasses - but this is a PB Simmental - born in Feb 05.
You might be thinking about me posting saying Macho is being used in the ASA carcass data program & will be bred to Angus heifers in Montana.

Frankie, no actually I have always loved the black Simm. We had black 1/2 bloods back in 1970 - have always had black cows, but never BRED to any black Simm bulls previously - they were AI bulls "just because they were black". We have been using Blk Simm bulls for maybe 10 years now (can't really remember how long) because they have quality bulls available now. Was hard to find a good red bull in recent years (opposite problem) - until the past year.
Actually, my herd is a good example of how dominant the black gene is. Breeding 25 years to RED Simm bulls, and still had black cows! :shock: We did pick NON-diluted reds to breed to the black cows.
But, in a way you are right. We breed cattle that will make us money. Since our main sales are weaned show heifers, and juniors want black, that did become an issue. The commercial end of our sales (steers) never dictate our direction in our breeding program.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":t0130ja4 said:
MONEY MAKER!!!
Haven't harvested the last 3 yet, 1301# - 3.7# ADG (Macho), 1282# - 3.7# & 1282# - 3.6# - so I'm sure they will be shipped soon.
Total steers on test have a 3.2# ADG

Those are some great numbers! Congratulations. Nice to see all the hard work pay off, isn't it?

will you get any information back on cost of gain?

Yes, when all the cattle are harvested, we get just about any and every number calculated. I'll post later on. This steer went out with the first load.
We have been putting steers on this "Discovery Program" for several years now. Cornell does a great job finishing them.

Latest posts