Pictures of the Broadway carcass

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
This is a broadway calf we bought with the idea that we would put it in the 4-H carcass contest. He was small when we started in Dec. Weighed 400lbs. 235 days later he weighed 1100lbs 2.98lbs/day. He dressed out at 61% of live weight. .3 inch of back fat and was graded mid choice 2.4 yield grade. 12.5 inch ribeye. The ribeye measurement is ultimately why we got 2nd instead of first. The winner was a 13inch ribeye, yield grade 2.8, and graded high choice.

[image]
[/image]

[image][/image]

I don't know much about carcasses but it looks mighty fine to me! I do know that 2.98 ADG is exceptional :tiphat:

Is this the Simmental Broadway bull?
Grading Choice with a low YG is typical of my Simmie steers. What was the breed that won? He also had great marbling for low YG.
Great job feeding him out.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":qzcirjch said:
Is this the Simmental Broadway bull?
Grading Choice with a low YG is typical of my Simmie steers. What was the breed that won? He also had great marbling for low YG.
Great job feeding him out.

Yes, the simmi bull. The winner was a Chi/Maine/Shorthorn/Angus. A calf from a cow that was shown all over the country as a heifer. The cow was shown as a shorthorn plus I think. She was bred to an Angus bull and the calf that beat us was the result.