Results

Help Support CattleToday:

lithuanian farmer

Reaction score
Last year have been selling some of our cattle privately for the meat production. It sure was interesting to see how our cattle are looking. Still have a lot of things to learn and apply in the real life even if I know that it would improve the results. Here are some photos of our heifers. Keep in mind that they weren't big and far from being finished properly... Just reached a needed weight and sold them. Both by Limousine bull. One out of 3/4Char, 1/4dairy cow, 18months old, another's dam has Charolais, Angus, Salers, BB and dairy, 22months old. Sold in June, so it was not long after they went out on grass. Deadweight around 573lbs.
1#
463.jpg

464.jpg

2#
465.jpg

466.jpg

Have some more, so if anybody will be interested will post some. But these two probably were the best ones.

Photos of heifers themselves. Just a couple days before they were sold.
1#
DSCF3019.jpg
DSCF3035.jpg
-A couple weeks earlier.
2#
DSCF3023.jpg

I guess a month or so would have been perfect for them.

Looks like good eating, but I think I'd like to see more marbling, and at around 700 lbs hanging I think you would have got that. They don't appear fat enough in the pictures but here in NA we tend to lean that way. I think you're right, a little more time would have done them good. For my own tastes I like them a little older, but that's probably just me.

Are they mostly grass feed or do you finish them on a grain ration?

Silver said:
Looks like good eating, but I think I'd like to see more marbling, and at around 700 lbs hanging I think you would have got that. They don't appear fat enough in the pictures but here in NA we tend to lean that way. I think you're right, a little more time would have done them good. For my own tastes I like them a little older, but that's probably just me.

They both scored at the medium fat grade(3) from the 1-5 system. All our heifers for culling are in the same group as the replacements, so can't overdue with the meal. Normally would push them more and wait for abit heavier weight. As Limousines are later maturing and more muscled breed it takes more time and feed to put a decent fat layer on them. Going to continue working with that private client and will see how our Angusx calves will perform. They are much easier to fatten.
As I've mentioned I know that they aren't in the perfect shape for slaughtering if look at the quality of the meat, but it never was our priority when we sold cattle to the butcher. They payed for the muscularity and fat grades, but nobody looked at the marbling. So it was very interesting to see how they usually look at the present feeding. Later have plans about separating cattle for fattening from the replacements and feeding differently. It'll be achieved with the time.
Later in fall have sold one heifer which graded 4 in fatness, so she would have had more fat, but at that moment the client had enough of meat himself, so sold to the butcher.

fhug said:
Are they mostly grass feed or do you finish them on a grain ration?

Would say both. They graze grass in summer, in winter were hay fed, and get meal. Replacements were kept in the same group, so they weren't pushed on meal.

Now some more purer Limousines. And way more leaner.
1# Heifer, 3/4limo, 1/4dairy, sold at 16.5months age, hanging weight similar to the first two.
494.jpg

495.jpg

DSCF3023.jpg

2# Bull, 7/8limo, 1/8dairy, 15.5months old, hanging weight 734lbs. Very lean and graded at only 2nd fat grade. He definitely needed more time.
492.jpg

493.jpg

DSCF3023-1.jpg

Have sold only two more pairs so there won't be many photos.

1# Heifer, 17.5months old, 1/2limo, dam has angus, charolais, hereford and dairy.
593.jpg

594.jpg

WP-20180814-11-47-25-Pro.jpg

2# Bull, 767lbs deadweight, 16months old, 1/2limo, dam has angus, salers, bb and dairy.
597.jpg

598.jpg

WP-20180814-11-13-20-Pro.jpg

And the last pair is two bulls, both 16 months old.
1# Limoxbbxdairy, deadweight 778lbs.
601.jpg

602.jpg

WP-20180814-11-17-09-Pro.jpg

2# Mainly angus, had some limousine, charolais, salers and dairy, 725lbs.
627.jpg

628.jpg

WP-20180814-11-17-14-Pro.jpg

It sure was interesting to see all these photos. I wasn't expecting anything very good and knew that bulls should be super lean, heifers might be abit better as they are getting fatter quicker. This year will try to feed a couple better to reach that decent fat cover, if there won't be any sudden need to sell them.

Latest posts