Carcass disposal

Help Support CattleToday:

hooknline":2ovp8s02 said:
That's too bad..sexed embryos x flushing= $$$$. Either way she's been good to you.
She's more then paid her way. When we moved the cows from next to the weaned calves it was Granny that lead them to the new pasture.

In Wisconsin the mink farms used to come and pick up dead cattle for nothing. Hauled 16 away from my uncle's place once. That was many years ago. Don't know about now.

dun":1sbv9al5 said:
She's more then paid her way. When we moved the cows from next to the weaned calves it was Granny that lead them to the new pasture.

My old Grandma cow is the same way. She's the boss-cow and has more than earned her keep. Currently have 4 of her daughters in the herd. Her bull/steer calves always sold well. I'm not 100% sure of her age. I bought her used from a guy who was going out about 10 years ago. I could have bought a few more (on credit) from him, and probably should have but I did'nt/don't want to owe on cows. I know she was at least 5 years old when I got her. Like my old Jersey did, Grandma will die here.

Katherine

Ah, I wondered about that. I had a partner years ago who raised cattle on his small farm and his entire "mini" herd of 12 registered Angus cows was killed by a lightning strike where they had been under a big oak tree during a summer thunderstorm.

TennesseeTuxedo":3i5bjaf8 said:
Ah, I wondered about that. I had a partner years ago who raised cattle on his small farm and his entire "mini" herd of 12 registered Angus cows was killed by a lightning strike where they had been under a big oak tree during a summer thunderstorm.

That's exactly what happened to these girls. They were huddled under a big oak during a summer thunderstorm. Didn't get 'em all though. We were milking 44 at the time but only 16 got zapped. Pretty big hit to the pocketbook, though.

No one around me will take them anymore if they cant walk off of a trailer on there own and it doesnt much matter whats wrong with them. We used to have a dog food plant that would take old and sick cattle and horses, but they have long been shut down.

I am in central Va and Valley Proteins quick picking up or even taking deads if you delivered them years ago here. Nearest facility was about 80 miles from me.

We are running a demo and scheduling a field day on composting deads at a local dairy farm.

I had to put down an equine a few months ago and it cost me 250.00 to get the hole dug. I don't have a backhoe and too old to pick and shovel it.

composting is a good option where you have waste feedstocks or bedding for cover and enough deads to make it worth the effort. It would have been more expensive than burying for me for one little mule.

pdfangus":232iixnj said:
I am in central Va and Valley Proteins quick picking up or even taking deads if you delivered them years ago here. Nearest facility was about 80 miles from me.

We are running a demo and scheduling a field day on composting deads at a local dairy farm.

I had to put down an equine a few months ago and it cost me 250.00 to get the hole dug. I don't have a backhoe and too old to pick and shovel it.

composting is a good option where you have waste feedstocks or bedding for cover and enough deads to make it worth the effort. It would have been more expensive than burying for me for one little mule.

I take mine to the county landfill and they are buried there. Cross the scale and pay by the weight. The last one cost me 18 dollars. If I lose a calf it goes to the mountain land for the varmits.

fitz

fitz":2ams4fzj said:
pdfangus":2ams4fzj said:

I take mine to the county landfill and they are buried there. Cross the scale and pay by the weight. The last one cost me 18 dollars. If I lose a calf it goes to the mountain land for the varmits.

fitz

not positive but I don't think our county landfill will take em. local VDOT is auditing our composting as they are thinking of composting road kill.

pdfangus":n2o38e9m said:
fitz":n2o38e9m said:
I take mine to the county landfill and they are buried there. Cross the scale and pay by the weight.

not positive but I don't think our county landfill will take em.

As far as I know our county landfill won't take them either.

Katherine

Our local landfill will not take any animal carcass.

I have never heard of composting animals. How is that done? Is it more than burying them and letting them decompose?

I found the lightning strike interesting. There was mention that since he had purchased them they were covered under insurance. Being a newbie, how does a typical insurance plan work regarding stock animals? I know carriers will vary widely, but is there some general statement usually true regarding insurance of stock? Is it included in your homeowners or a separate policy?

Thanks
Ed

Probably depends on the individual insurance company or policy. Our's are insured for somethings under the farm policy.

There is a natural big hole down back in the brush. It is well over a half a mile from the nearest house. I just push them into that hole. But they never get to totally decompose as there is a bear who like to eat rotten beef. Always makes me a little nervous going down there but he seems to mind his manners as long as I am feeding him......

QAR (quality animal removal, that is really the company name) is way to expensive. $250 for a horse and $150 for a cow last I checked. My bear works for free.

Glad you posted that, Dave. I was beginning to think I was the only one who let the native scavengers do the recycling. I tie a chain to them and drag them down in the woods where buzzards and so forth do the rendering.

ga.prime":4xgzanvf said:
Glad you posted that, Dave. I was beginning to think I was the only one who let the native scavengers do the recycling. I tie a chain to them and drag them down in the woods where buzzards and so forth do the rendering.
Buzzards work for free like Dave's bear.Have never used anything else.
It would just seem not right to have to spend money on a dead animal to get it disposed of. No return on that invstment. :frowns:

Well my horse and my dog are like family and I have been know to shed a tear when I have to put one of em in the ground.

I could not live with myself if I just drug em out back for the vultures.

We don't have a backhoe, but do have a front end loader on a tractor. So, when we had a pond dug, we left a "spoil" pile. I cover the good uns with at least 3 foot of dirt and never had anything dig down to them. Baby pigs and calves, I put out and shoot coyotes off of them. Agree, some of the cows and horses I couldn't leave out for the varmits even though they have to eat also. There has been a horse or two that I could leave out for them though!

Latest posts