Carcass disposal

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
If you have an animal that needs to be hauled off, check with the knacker about price. Our local knacker closed a cople of years ago and reopened about a year ago. There deal is if it's "fresh" (not sure how long dead constitutes fresh) there is no charge. We're about 35 miles from them and they hauled a cow off for free.

We used to have a salvage company out of Sulphur Springs that made pet food that would pick up dead animals for free, then they started charging a pickup fee based on mileage. They are no longer in business. We bury or compost deads now.

No Dun, meant nacker ,as in Nackerman .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knacker

We are charged here for pick up and if you have had a BSE test done on the animal you have to wait until the results come back before they will pick them up. Pre BSE there was no charge , but with all of the ruminant feed regs , most renderers went out of business rather than comply with the new rules.

The main outfit for our area (and most of the state) Valley Proteins no longer takes dead cattle. They stopped taking cattle almost 2 years ago. They still take horses, hogs and I think sheep. They stated the reason for no longer hauling away cattle had to do with BSE and all the regulations regarding disposal of the carcasses. That company makes fertilizer.

A few folks that I know, as well as some of the dairies now compost their deads. I have no idea what the labs do with the ones brought in for necropsies, I think they may cremate the remains.

The fee for removing dead cattle was somewhere around $75.00 to $100.00. For horses its over $125.00.

The last horse we had was buried here, have an old grandma cow that will be buried here as well. (neighbor has offered up his backhoe when needed).

Katherine

HD,
You missed my dry humor again!
I'm going to stick with "knocker" or my "late night cook out" doesn't fit!
SL

Workinonit Farm":1t8sde41 said:
have an old grandma cow that will be buried here as well. (neighbor has offered up his backhoe when needed).

Katherine
That's what will happen with Granny too. Just for information sake, Granny is bred to calve again next spring

cypressfarms":uj8dgms0 said:
Why would someone do it for free? What's in it for them?
I don;t know what they render from them but there were 5 other dead cows in the truck when he got here.

FYI:

Downed dairy cow waiting to be picked up by the rendering plant (Photo courtesy Farm Sanctuary)
Fatty acids can be found in lipstick, inks and waxes and other rendering products such as tallow and grease go into soaps, candles, tires, many drugs and gummy candies. Many health conscious consumers choose to avoid all these ingredients in human and pet foods.

Continue reading on Examiner.com The ultimate in recycling - the rendering industry - Seattle Green Business | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/green-business- ... z1Zl56CjlS

Definition of KNACKER. 1. British : a buyer of worn-out domestic animals or their carcasses for use especially as animal food or fertilizer.

Anyone ever watch the James Herriott series "All Creatures Great and Small?" The knacker would come to pick up these dead and dying animals and his diagnosis of anything that had died was always "stagnation of lung." Good series.

Gale Seddon":2yjbsi1d said:
Definition of KNACKER. 1. British : a buyer of worn-out domestic animals or their carcasses for use especially as animal food or fertilizer.

Anyone ever watch the James Herriott series "All Creatures Great and Small?" The knacker would come to pick up these dead and dying animals and his diagnosis of anything that had died was always "stagnation of lung." Good series.
WOW, I actually use at least one english word. See if you can find the definition of "cat hammed"

Learned something new today..they don't have anyone down here like that.
How old is granny now Dun?

hooknline":2u08110f said:
Learned something new today..they don't have anyone down here like that.
How old is granny now Dun?
25 next spring

hooknline":2jvz39f1 said:
Wow...how are her daughters doing?
The one daughter that calved weighed 1015 last thursday and her calf weighed 642. Just grass and hay in July when the pastures dried up. The daughter is Angus (Granny) and Fleckvieh, her daughter from last year is bred the same and is a real eye popper, her heifer from this year is kind of small but she's a looker too.

You ever think about flushing her and focusing on that line? Could get pricey but would pay off in spades..

hooknline":5qi3a8tq said:
You ever think about flushing her and focusing on that line? Could get pricey but would pay off in spades..
I thought of it about 10 years ago but since she's only ever had 4 heifers I'm glad we didn;t

That's too bad..sexed embryos x flushing= $$$$. Either way she's been good to you.

Latest posts