Live weight vs carcass weight

Help Support CattleToday:

//gougakhoi

Reaction score
Going to take three Jersey oxen and three beef bulls to abattoir next week.Phoned two abattoirs about live- and carcass weight.One told me that carcass weight for Jerseys would vary between 42 - 44 % of live weight and that beef carcass would be between 48 - 55% of live weight depending on whether they are on grazing or a feeding programme.The other one stuck to 45% for Jerseys and 50% for beef cattle.Question now is: Are these figures truthful?On this forum the figures given vary between 50 - 60% depending being dairy or beef I suppose.

Also still waiting on the eighteen grading prizes per kilogram from the abbatoirs.Being the first time I conduct business with an abattoir,I want to make an informed decision on whether to go on with this transaction.I'm a bit wary.

I sold a steer to a friend, really meaty, we estimated his live weight around 1700 lbs, and his hanging weight was 960, and take home meat from that was 460... he was 2 1/2 years old and as tall as a holstein cow

ibetyamissedme":379c18r8 said:
National average is between 63 and 64 %.
That is for feedlot cattle. Grass cattle will not yield that much. Take a look at slaughter cows, it takes a he77 of a cow to make 50% DP.

And it depends on how it is cut.

For black Angus it runs right around 60/60.

A 90 day grain feed steer @ 1,000 lbs looks like this.

1,000 X .60 = 600 lbs. Hanging weight.
600 X .60 = 360 lbs. Wrapped meat, no bones, no organs ( no brain, heart, liver, kidneys or tong ).

Thanks a lot for the info.Let me feel much more confident about the deal.Just have to sort out the price/kg.

Latest posts