Can't Find Her

Help Support CattleToday:

jgibson

Reaction score
Well, we have a cow due on July 3rd. She has been bagging up good. I went to check on her last night. I told my husband I thought she would have it last night. Well, he went to check on her this morning and can't find her. I assume that I was right and she had the calf last night. I am stressing because we have never had a problem finding one. It is not a large pasture and unlike her to hide. It has me worried. We have already lost a cow this year and really can't afford to lose another.

Hot and humid weather my cows seem to find thick rough cover compared to winter. Generally won't rejoin the herd as quickly the hotter weather vs cooler temp. As mentioned above get a look if possible.

Good news! I finally found her. She was hiding and I would not have seen her if she had not warned me I was too close. Mama and baby girl are fine. :banana:

jgibson":17j2qmb7 said:
Good news! I finally found her. She was hiding and I would not have seen her if she had not warned me I was too close. Mama and baby girl are fine. :banana:
That is good news! Momma cows can do some pretty tricky stuff sometimes! Glad you found her and all is well.

jgibson":n9orp45d said:
Them kind of mama's raise good calves most of the time.

All mine try to hide to calve, and some are pretty good at it and after they calve, and get out grazing, they're even better at hiding their calves. How that calf knows to stay where momma left it is beyond me.

greybeard":3lbx1o8d said:
All mine try to hide to calve, and some are pretty good at it and after they calve, and get out grazing, they're even better at hiding their calves. How that calf knows to stay where momma left it is beyond me.

I have marveled at that too. I think it is the same habit that gets a lot of fawns killed when mowing hay. They sit tight and the disc mower gets them. Now and then, one will get up and run but not before you are almost on it. Deer are pain in the butt, you still don't want to kill a fawn.

Latest posts