Pregnant cow that lost her first

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgal604 said:
I have a cow that is about 8 months pregnant. She lost her first calf last year. It was a bit early and there was something up with the calf. Possible deformity and calving issue. She had a retained placenta after she delivered the dead calf which needed intervention.

Before she calved she was acting off. Just lazy, slow and very large. She got so big she looked like she couldn't walk well. Always the last to get to grain, always sitting on her own. Looking like she was ready to go for weeks, then the calf died. Normal behaviour for a big pregnant girl, but exaggerated. If she could talk it would be nothing but complaining haha.

Well she's doing that all again. She's massive. She's lazy. She's spending lots of time alone. But I think she is still at least 1-1.5 months away. I'm expecting this calf late January.

Her first calf was large. 90lbs and early. She is impossible to get into the squeeze when she's in a mood. The advice last year on here on her calf was to start my herd on a mineral program in case that was the issue and I have done that.

What would you do if this was your cow? Just wait and see? I've just got a bad feeling about this! My mom has mentioned her odd behaviour to me everyday this week. Which is how the start of her last calf went.

Any updates?
Getting towards the last half of the month...

Latest posts