Can't exactly get my head around this one

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
My daughter, "The Bug" has sprung up and has morphed into a beautiful butterfly and is getting close to leaving home for college so we are looking into how to pay the bills and what type scholarships she might receive. Since she has excelled in school and is just a point or so from having the highest grades in her school I felt pretty comfortable she would receive some pretty good scholarships through our state's educational fund through the lottery which was voted in to help kids that excelled in academics.

Not only has the bug excelled in her academics and a host of extracurricular activities she has also been quite the businesswoman. From the age of 8 she created several little enterprises from selling garden produce and eggs to her vast babysitting empire where parents actually argue amongst themselves and bid against one another for her services. Needless to say she has done well with these businesses and is sitting on nearly $20,000 in her savings account. This is the same account is to money what the Hotel California is to people.

Being all this stuff is so complex the sweet smelling one has taken the lead on gathering information and we have sought some outside advice as well and what I have learned and what I have been told has left me scratching my head. In a nut shell, I have been told to make as little money as possible the next few years and she needs to deplete her savings account else this will jeopardize her scholarships.

Pardon my ignorance but I thought the reason we legalized gambling in our state was to make a fund to reward the children who did well in school. I thought it only made sense that the better your grades were the more help you would receive and I had no idea that a child's frugality and work ethic would ever be used against the child. Or the parent's for that matter. But it seems my conservative views are again wrong. Additionally, it seems her scholarships may be reduced due to my starting an educational savings account when she was born.

I'm confused. I thought I was being responsible and had no idea I was going to hurt her. Would never intentionally do this but due to my actions she will see less rewards for her personal efforts it seems. Though I haven't come to a firm conclusion on what to do in these murky waters I have tentatively come up with the idea she needs to dump her savings in cattle and I can get a smaller trailer. I can make less money as well. Its gonna suck for a few people and their families but blood is thicker than water but it will make my life easier and less stressful. Afterall, for each $1000 they take from her scholarships will require me to earn a minimal of $1400 to make up for it so this is a no brainer.

Going to have to look into this a bit deeper but at the moment but this is where it stands and its giving me a headache learning I have parented in such a way that has ultimately hurt my child and the rewards I know she has earned.

If you get divorced that will help her. That's how my daughter got her full scholastics solarships paid for. She only had her mothers income to show so that's what helped her. At the time if we would have stayed married that might have helpd more because I would have been broke and drunk the whole time.

Some scholarships are not given out based on income ,but rather grades and personal achievements , however a heck of a lot are .

We are in the same boat with my niece or at least we would have been but thankfully her estranged drunken loser father emptied her(and her siblings) college fund earlier in the year ... :mad: :mad: :mad:

She entered our cities local Ms.Teen pageant in the hopes of at least getting some scholarship money for the college next year . Thankfully she is in the finalists . I also have a list of about 200 scholarships that she can qualify for if she applies .

Since when do we punish hard work , responsibility and accountability . What the H is wrong with our bloody society .. :bang:

hillsdown":pfvwob8m said:
Since when do we punish hard work , responsibility and accountability . What the H is wrong with our bloody society

That's my impression too.

I don't understand all of it yet but before long I hope to. On the surface it just doesn't seem right. Heck, I think she has earned it and I thought this is what the lottery scholarships were all about. Selfishly, I am already flipping the bill for another child in med school and they don't give any scholarships for this so it would be nice to have a little help with her education instead of penalizing her - and me.

Dun, divorce is out of the question but it does explain why so many opt not to get married. I'd hate to send my wife into a depression and have Inyati pestering her. ;-) However, I can dig my heels in the dirt like a mule and not do nothing. Am more than capable of doing that. Might make time for some fishing or something.

I feel your pain Jo, our daughters are close in age. This is a bad deal for the working folk again, it just don't make any sense.

I have come to the conclusion with the company that I work for and the government, that if it makes sense you are not doing it to there standard. I do not understand rewarding people for doing nothing. Maybe you could buy some lots in town or some real estate, because if you buy cows that will produce income which will be held against her. Wish you the best of luck figuring out this screwed up system. :bang:

Jogeephus that's really tough for you and your daughter. Shouldn't be that way. Solid academic performance should be rewarded with merit scholarships. That's a bummer.

You didn't say how close your daughter is to going to school or if she's decided on major or minor study areas or what school - anyway there are some organizations that provide scholarships specifically to people in certain subject areas. Knew a young woman who was not particularly religious but found a significant 4 year scholarship for a woman who minored in religious studies. So she was com sci major with a minor in religion. That scholarship paid most of her way. If she's chosen her school there are counselors on staff who are paid to help people like your daughter. They know what's out there and how to get it. Get in touch with those folks.

Take a look at scholarship.com for some assistance and ideas. Has she taken her ACT or SAT tests yet? If she hasn't taken them yet she should take them early and consider taking them a second time to improve scores. Great test scores on the ACT and SAT will get scholarships.

Some kids don't want to look greedy or whatever so they don't seek out high school awards especially those based in academics. Those awards will seem maybe geeky but they can be valuable when applying for merit scholarships they all count.

In order to reduce costs she might be able to test out of specific college classes. They will be called something like college level exam placement tests (CLEP). She may be able to reduce class load to a point she can work part time.

I don't know the answer to this but I'm wondering if wealth tied up in an IRA or 401K count in a 'needs based' scholarship? The answer could mean she could save the money for her own use (much later of course) by putting it in a Roth and use scholarship money rather than her own. Just a wild guess.

Best of luck to your girl.

If a student is applying for needs-based scholarships or grants, whatever assets/income the student and family have are definitely taken into account. It's pretty much always been that way. Some financial planners will work with a family (when the kid is young) and figure out whether it makes sense to save much in a 529 (or similar plan), or whether instead the family would be better off applying for needs-based assistance, and simply paying some of the college costs out of current income (rather than thru a 529 plan).

If her grades are stellar in an academically rigorous program, she should be focusing on applying for academic scholarships which will not take financial need into consideration. Apply early and look for local, community-based scholarships, or niche ones.

I realize it's frustrating. College costs have gotten out-of-hand. And there is less money to go around, so I guess it makes sense to take into account the student's/family's resources. But it does end up with some paradoxical effects, as here...

I wouldn't be too quick to decrease income in the hopes of more assistance. I don't think you can decrease it fast enough to make a difference. They'll take into account an involuntary job loss but even then it's just one factor.

Boondocks, that makes sense. I talked to a guy today and he said his son was not required to show any financial information for the HOPE which is funded by the lottery since it is supposed to be nondiscriminatory and based solely on grades. My wife may be confused. I hope she is. It wouldn't surprise me. Sometimes she has selective hearing. I sure could use some help when I'll have two in college. Never planned on one being in so long though I had hoped.

No matter what it turns out to, I believe my investment in my children is solid no matter the cost. I'll make it work somehow.

I am glad I finally read this. We were living in Helena, MT. My spouse and I both worked. I was getting an excellent salary. My son was in the same circumstances as your daughter. Initially, he never got a single scholarship. After he began his undergraduate studies in Microbiology at Montana State U in Bozeman and the faculty saw his potential, he got on-the-spot scholarships every single semester beginning his sophmore year.

And I am sure you will find this, you have to be a scholarship expert to figure out what is available and how to apply. I bugged him about that being his responsibility but it didn't work. He would rather play games on electronic devices. But when you got a kid that never caused you one minute of trouble and got straight As, just sit back and praise the Lord!!!

<No matter what it turns out to, I believe my investment in my children is solid no matter the cost. I'll make it work somehow.>

Jo, there's always the sale barn. ;) Friend of mine keeps threatening to take his kids there. Reckoned they were too scrawny to bring much though! lol

Working three jobs seven days a week for over forty years has had its pitfalls I guess. But if you enjoy work and accomplishing things like I do then its the only thing you know. Just don't like giving such a share to so many who do in a week what I do in a day. Sure would be nice to see something back for what I've paid in or at least see it spent wisely instead of so frivolously.

Jogeephus":2yeamfr0 said:
Working three jobs seven days a week for over forty years has had its pitfalls I guess. But if you enjoy work and accomplishing things like I do then its the only thing you know.

I have only been blessed with two jobs but I still manage to fill in seven days per week.

When my kids got to be teenagers, I leased and bought land and put them all on the payroll. They learned to be careful of what they asked for because there was always another project to be done if they needed more $$$. Two worked their way through college with very little debt. The popular one decided it was really easy to get student loans... :bang: and to minimize work conflicts with his full social schedule.

Steve, I think the best thing you ever gave your boys was teaching them how to work.

Don't know the details of your boys but it would seem one is saddled with debt and the other is not. Would be interesting to see who finds financial freedom first. I was saddled in debt for years but most of what I borrowed was for things that could pay for themselves if I worked them and I'd accelerate the payments to get out from under the debt as quickly as possibly. The day I became debt free was a wonderful day for me. It wasn't easy but I'm stubborn.

There are lots of scholarships out there that are not income based-- you just have to search for them and write alot of papers.
My daughters goal is to have $50000 by the time she graduates. Shes applying to five a week. The easy ones are just a lottery.
Each one isn't much money but get enough of them and they add up.

Do a google search, and theres a book out there that is real good, to help find these scholarships.

Second, make sure she picks a useful major early. There will be lots of specific merit scholarships available in her Sophomore year if she pulls down some impressive grades.

Latest posts