cant catch him..dangit

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
got a 7 mo old steer i swear got eyes in his butt.
wont come in with the rest of em to eat..cat run em into the pens..he always gits right to the funnel and slams on the brakes. turns and runs like a deer.
cant lure em in with feed
got his momma ..since were weaning..on the other side of the panels. he can sneak into the pens to get some milk from momma but i swear he will see ya comin or sense it and sure will beat ya to the gate.
i even hooked a rope to the gate and made it so it will close against the other side of the panel and made it so he can go in and it will shut behind him..its behind the barn and hell see ya on yer way and dangit if he dont bolt before ya can git to the rope..the rope is on the other side of the barn and is probly 75 ft long..

how does he do it? im gonna git alotta satisfaction outta this ones payday i promise ya.
jus ventin
gary

Can you build a snare in the gate opening ? I've snared wild ones in the woods by hanging a loop across the trail and letting them walk into it .

he seen the new panel arrangement and wouldnt even walk in...snares next tho...he wont win but he sure is makin me werk for it

I thought all of em had eyes in their butts.... :nod: Kinda reminds us of why we raise cattle doesnt it? :cowboy:

wife caught him...using the rope and the gate deal

he rammed the gate til he broke the hinges off. ran outside the pens and stood there looking..wife says he kept charging it til he broke thru...broke the hinge offa the gate..

hes becoming worth less to me by the day this pos

think i can run him wiht the 4 wheeler til he falls over or til i can get close enough to rope him??. ots tricky on a 4 wheeler tho/...hes probly pushing 450

gary

dieselbeef":21mo47mv said:

he rammed the gate til he broke the hinges off. ran outside the pens and stood there looking..wife says he kept charging it til he broke thru...broke the hinge offa the gate..

think i can run him wiht the 4 wheeler til he falls over or til i can get close enough to rope him??. ots tricky on a 4 wheeler tho/...hes probly pushing 450

gary
Gary, get off your lazy azz and quit making your wife do all the hard work while you sit around drinking beer and barking orders. Get him next to a fence line and run him down on the 4-wheeler and bull-dog him. Make sure the wife has a video camera running. :lol:

Not sure of your set up, but I have one heifer that used to be stand offish. Not as bad as yours, but she wouldn't step foot in the corral (where I load from), which is small. I only have a handful of cattle now, so I locked them up in the small pasture around the corral. The waterhole dried up and they relied on me for water, so guess where I watered them? In the corral. She decided I wasn't so bad when she figured out she got thirsty without me. Now she'll be on the next truck out. I tried feed, but she wasn't the least bit interested.

M.Magis has a very good idea, however if there is water in the field and he don't have to come in to drink, the next idea is to pen "mamma" up with the other cattle, and find someone with a couple of real good trained cattle dogs.
The reason you want to pen "mamma" and the other cattle up cause if they hear "junior" being dogged, they might want to stomp the dogs. Not too many animals want to argue with well trained cattle dogs, but with loose cattle everywhere you can have a "circus".
Be warned though, the chances of him getting chewed or running into something and getting banged up, goes up when dogs come into the issue. Make sure they are well trained so it won't just be an insane rodeo with you being ran over or him going through a fence.
If you can get him in the corral again, a well trained dog will hold him there till you can shut the gate.
A well trained dog will save you a thousand steps, a poorly trained one will cause your blood pressure go through the roof, and create all sorts of accidents and wrecks.
Nite Hawk

Put some panels up around your water tank. Rig a rope operated door. Won't be long this time of year before he comes up for water. If you need to borrow panels I have some you can use if no one local to you has some you can use

dieselbeef":2dgvturu said:

gary

One word, "veal". :D

I've used my 4 wheeler to run a cow or calves in the corral it's not that hard after they figure out they can't out run the 4 wheeler.

Dave":31v5veol said:
Fast horse and a long rope. End of story.

Or a good catch dog, will get his mind right.
My pen's are built from my Tiger day's they are not getting out once their in.
They can run into that drill stem all they want to.
A trick on the gate's if they are not super duty is to cover them with plywood, sheet metal, if they can't see through it they think it is a solid wall.

well i went and got a super heavy duty gate last nite. gonna cover it with bull panel. weld it on then hang the gate . he broke the welds on the gate that she had em with. rammed it until the welds just gave way. his momma is laready on the other side of the panels. i think with the new gate and the rope rig i used before ill get him this weekend. if not ill be running him with the quad.
dont know anyone with dogs. i already make them go thru the pens to get some feed. since i sell it they get a bit everyday to keep em comin in. he dont want none of it but he still wants to suck momma. so long as he comes in for that ill get him with the new gate. no way hes gonna break this one. i can barely lift it. its just a matter if time...im running out of patience but i will get him when he goes to suck momma or next week im off a cpl days i will run him til he drops...one wya or another...

dieselbeef":37razctd said:
its just a matter if time...im running out of patience but i will get him when he goes to suck momma or next week im off a cpl days i will run him til he drops...one wya or another...

...or you just shoot and field dress him. A total win/win situation - you don't have anymore aggrevation from him AND you have some meat in the freezer. If you go that route, just shoot him BEFORE you start running him.

not enough wieght on him for that.

honestly i dont wanna be a dick here but really...anyone who really raises cattle that i know of no matter how much grief has ever shot an animal cuz of the animals bs...even when they been hurt by it..whether it be the money end of it or the humane end of it...really..
i have been told this by people that dont have animals but on here i wouldn think that would be a fer real response..hes worth 1.80/lb...youll shoot him and process him for meat you probly will barely be able to eat...ok..now im a dick but so what
gary

Been there before, but I had to Bloc the gate w a tractor, chained the gate to the post, and about crap my pants as she charged me, funny how once they get closed in they settle down, she was a heifer Brahama horns that would do the same thing, ended up hiding with a rope and my buddy moved the tractor while I kept her attention. Once she was loaded, then had a beer and a cigarette

Latest posts