Canning

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1":1evtlsyj said:
hillsdown":1evtlsyj said:
Thanks everyone !

Now the question is just how soon is too soon to try them . I have one very impatient household . :lol: mainly the husband . ;-)

All but a couple snapped so they went in the fridge to finish up and we will eat them first . I also screwed up a batch of brine so 3 jars have half as much vinegar than what was called for so do not know how crappy those will taste . My nephew called me crying that he wanted to come back to live with us , I had just dropped him off the day before . Broke my heart to hear an 11 year old little boy so unhappy being at home , was hard to concentrate on what I was doing . :frowns: Picked him up last night and so he is back here with us , he is one happy little boy . :D

If you should find there is about 15 jars missing ... It was me I wanted to taste them to make sure they are safe for you and your family to enjoy the rest ... :lol2:

Ha ha ha !!! :lol2: Let me know if you survive them Sky ; then I will give one a go . :p

Back at it ... digging a few at a time

ResizedImage_1443571120518_zpsln9mt0cx.jpg

ResizedImage_1443571120946_zpsp8je4pnd.jpg

Sky,

We just pick our sweet potatoes last night.
We ended up with some monsters this year.
Anyway our canning book says 90 minutes at 10 lb in the pressure cooker,
is that about what you do with yours?

Thanks,
Bill

BILL CLAYLAND":sw7eernq said:
Sky,

We just pick our sweet potatoes last night.
We ended up with some monsters this year.
Anyway our canning book says 90 minutes at 10 lb in the pressure cooker,
is that about what you do with yours?

Thanks,
Bill

Bill,
We just put it in a water bath but do cook them around the 90 min mark in the canning pot. Nice I finished picking mine last weekend when the frost came and killed the vine :lol2: I posted a few under summer garden in the gardening section of the big ones we got here is the last big one I dug

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=97312&p=1287259#p1287259

ResizedImage_1445627490080_zpsoct5sumq.jpg

Workinonit Farm":qyvpvik0 said:
Sky.......why do you turn your jars upside down?

When I can potatoes, I process them the same way BILL CLAYLAND does.

I honestly am not sure but its supposed to be something with the jar sealing.

If they are turned right side up, and didn't seal, they'll just sit there and you won't know they didn't seal till you open them and die of botulism.
Turn them upside down, and they didn't seal,they leak out all over the place and you know it right away.

You know if a jar is sealed or not by the concavity of the lid. When they are sealed, the concave will be down. Concave up and it's not sealed. Unsealed ones you either freeze, refrigerate, eat, or throw in trash. You can hear the lid when it goes concave down as the jars cool down.

very true GB... GP we had a few lids that were sealed and never sunk in like normal just were flat but sealed those lids aren't what they used to be.

You can test the seal by tapping on the top too....a nice clink its sealed, a clunk not...Every time i get something out i've canned, i tick on the tops to see if any have come unsealed. Doing them all at once helps you hear any that have come unsealed too.....click click click clunk click...I do this when i'm processing once they should have all sealed and before i put them up.

ga.prime":179lii93 said:
You know if a jar is sealed or not by the concavity of the lid. When they are sealed, the concave will be down. Concave up and it's not sealed. Unsealed ones you either freeze, refrigerate, eat, or throw in trash. You can hear the lid when it goes concave down as the jars cool down.
No such thing as 'concave up', opposite of concave is convex.
But yep all the lids should concave as they cool after processing, but that don't mean they will stay sealed over the course of their storage life. I've canned stuff before, every single jar lid pull down with the telltale 'plink' and later in the year find one that has lost it's seal.
cg8, if you can push down on the lid and it has any give to it, it is not sealed.If you ush down on it and it clicks or plinks it is not sealed.

concave_convex_molds.jpg

What i suggested is not pushing on the lid. You can use your fingernail, a spoon handle...but if you tap, it should have a nice tink to it..not a thud. Even if you visually look at it and the top is down, concave, whatever......it can appear to be sealed, but not. Tapping tells you whether its sealed by sound, not sight....This is more important when the food has been sitting a while..I'm in the habit of tapping before popping the lid...i have to hear a tink, and then a pop when i pry the top off....
You can test it out on one jar that you know is sealed, and then on a jar you just tighten a fresh lid down on...I test by sound, not sight..

Old thread but figured I'd revive it instead of starting another.
We're newer to canning. Really enjoying it.
Anyone doing any canning anytime soon?

Old thread but figured I'd revive it instead of starting another.
We're newer to canning. Really enjoying it.
Anyone doing any canning anytime soon?
We can a lot. Fruit, vegetables, and meat. But it will be a while before there is anything to can. Lids seem to be in short supply. By fall we were out of lids and none to be found. The wife found some on line that were more expensive than normal but she went ahead and bought 100 of them just to make sure we have some.

We can a lot. Fruit, vegetables, and meat. But it will be a while before there is anything to can. Lids seem to be in short supply. By fall we were out of lids and none to be found. The wife found some on line that were more expensive than normal but she went ahead and bought 100 of them just to make sure we have some.
We have had to really work to get jars and lids. We only had a small amount from doing pickles in the past. Have also been looking at the Tattler lids for their ability to be reused in the future. We're to new to this to know when supplies usually come in stock but we've definitely been reading that supplies are harder to find.
With all that's been going on in the world we finally decided to put garden produce away for the future instead of giving all the extra away and buying canned stuff we don't really care for.

Latest posts