Canceling cable provider

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
The last month we've made three attempts to cancel our service provider. They do not allow you to cancel online. You have to speak to a live person...in Manila 😐
It becomes a game of who can outlast the person on the other end of the line. They put you on infinite hold to see how long you can take the pain.
Then someone finally picks up, you get excited, and they transfer you to customer retention department.
Now you're on phase 2 of the waiting game to see if they can break you and you'll hang up.
My wife finally did it today she outlasted them and it only took 1 hour on hold !
Then you have to sit and listen to them try to give you every special deal there is to try to keep you.
We never watched TV, only movies. We only had it for guests and they seem to all have their own Netflix or some other kind of account.
This isn't the first time we've ran into aggressive tactics to try to keep you from canceling your subscription.

I tried several attempts when I sold the place in Washington. I got tired of trying and just moved. It was set up with an automatice payment out of a checking account. That credit union didn't have a branch anywhere near where I moved to so I closed the account. Never heard a word from the cable company.

Ya, you just cancel the payment and move on.

When I moved in to my house I was getting direct TV set up. For starters the guys popped a hole in to my living room and put the dish in to my rood, so I hit them on that. I had it set up on auto pay and after a couple months. The price qent up. I called, they gave me the promotion ran out deal. I told them cancel all the promotions, set the price and don't mess with it. 3 months later, price went up. Called again, gave me some bs again. I asked for managers etc... finally I got a person that told me... what are you going to do, not have TV? 🤣

I told them to cancel every thing and come get their junk. I called the bank next and told them cancel any thing from them. They sent me bills for probably 2 years for like $800 for the equipment. All their stuff sat by the road for like 2 months before the trash people took it. 😄

When I went to buy a truck I asked them if it showed up on my credit. The sales manager told me it wasn't there. He told me they don't even pay attention to stuff from TV or cell phones. He said so many people have issues with them that people don't even care.

This was right on the front end of streaming services. They were still pretty high on themselves.

I don't own a tv so I guess I get to miss out on all the fun. Lol.

I remember one time this guy came to our previous house and was trying to sell us some cable package or something (I don't know 🤷‍♂️) and I told him we don't own a tv. He started laughing and was like "yeah right."

I just blankly stared at him and he walked back to his car. He was looking at our roof on his way to the car. He probably thought we had a satellite. 😂

Sounds like trying to get out a time share condo presentation. We got a "free" car rental for a week on Cozumel and just had to ride the ferry to the Mexican Riviera for the presentation. Wasted a whole day saying "no" to four different levels of salesman.

Back 20+ years ago when the ex left she canceled the cable. I never got a bill from them but watched TV for free for about 3 years. Then one day I noticed the cable company guy out at the power pole. Dang they finally realized they were giving me free cable and they turned it off.

I remember one time this guy came to our previous house and was trying to sell us some cable package or something (I don't know 🤷‍♂️) and I told him we don't own a tv. He started laughing and was like "yeah right."

I just blankly stared at him and he walked back to his car. He was looking at our roof on his way to the car. He probably thought we had a satellite. 😂

I get the same reply, the look when I tell people I dont have or use a phone.
The smile fades then the look.

The last month we've made three attempts to cancel our service provider. They do not allow you to cancel online. You have to speak to a live person...in Manila 😐
It becomes a game of who can outlast the person on the other end of the line. They put you on infinite hold to see how long you can take the pain.
Then someone finally picks up, you get excited, and they transfer you to customer retention department.
Now you're on phase 2 of the waiting game to see if they can break you and you'll hang up.
My wife finally did it today she outlasted them and it only took 1 hour on hold !
Then you have to sit and listen to them try to give you every special deal there is to try to keep you.
We never watched TV, only movies. We only had it for guests and they seem to all have their own Netflix or some other kind of account.
This isn't the first time we've ran into aggressive tactics to try to keep you from canceling your subscription.
My learned trick is.... to call and always choose the option or ask for "new service"...once you get to the new service providers...get their name and tell them explicitly ...I have your name (so-& so) and Please...I've been given the holding run around for hours today (little lie)....and that you want your service cancelled. The best way to cancel service is to request new service...they are the ones that can cancel your service quickly and effortlessly. Go figure.

My learned trick is.... to call and always choose the option or ask for "new service"...once you get to the new service providers...get their name and tell them explicitly ...I have your name (so-& so) and Please...I've been given the holding run around for hours today (little lie)....and that you want your service cancelled. The best way to cancel service is to request new service...they are the ones that can cancel your service quickly and effortlessly. Go figure.
Well evidently they have learned that trick because we tried it and it didn't work.
No matter what you do you're going to get turned over to the customer retention department there is no other way to cancel.

Well evidently they have learned that trick because we tried it and it didn't work.
No matter what you do you're going to get turned over to the customer retention department there is no other way to cancel.
That's sad....trick worked for years. I make it a point to NEVER sign up for anything that I MIGHT need to cancel in the near future. So many times I hear them advertise that the first year is free...you like free don't you? I tell them "no"...when they ask why it's free...i tell them no, because free would be too difficult to cancel and unhook myself. They always have a easy answer that their service is easy to cancel...but I don't believe them. I sense one month free and two to three months trying to unhook myself from the forced relationship.

You don't own a tv? How do you get your propaganda, second rate shows, repeats and mindless commericials then?

I have a TV that has been hooked to the DVD and ..... HORRORS..... the VHS players... and hasn't been connected to an antennae or any TV service in 20 years... that was 2 "houses ago".... guess it will never get worn out......
Sometimes I miss some of the reruns of the "oldies" shows, but mostly I like a good book and can see what I want to see on the computer or .....heavens .... on the radio in the car or truck traveling to work or something....
I am so far behind times.... :rolleyes::rolleyes:;):unsure::confused::confused::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I have a TV that has been hooked to the DVD and ..... HORRORS..... the VHS players... and hasn't been connected to an antennae or any TV service in 20 years... that was 2 "houses ago".... guess it will never get worn out......
Sometimes I miss some of the reruns of the "oldies" shows, but mostly I like a good book and can see what I want to see on the computer or .....heavens .... on the radio in the car or truck traveling to work or something....
I am so far behind times.... :rolleyes::rolleyes:;):unsure::confused::confused::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Same here. We have a DVD and yes, still have a VHS. My wife finds old shows on DVD when on sale and buys the whole series; Bonanza, Bat Masterson, Andy Griffith, M.A.S.H., Northern Exposure, Cheers, etc. Then we'll binge watch when the weather is bad.

You don't own a tv? How do you get your propaganda, second rate shows, repeats and mindless commericials then?

I guess I am one of those that "live under a rock." Lol. I remember one time at a place I used to work at this girl found out I didn't have a tv and she asked, "what do you do all day?"

I actually didn't know how to respond to her because I was truly baffled that she didn't know there was other things in life to do other than watching tv and I knew if she was asking that question I couldn't really explain it to her so that she would understand.

I guess I am one of those that "live under a rock." Lol. I remember one time at a place I used to work at this girl found out I didn't have a tv and she asked, "what do you do all day?"

I actually didn't know how to respond to her because I was truly baffled that she didn't know there was other things in life to do other than watching tv and I knew if she was asking that question I couldn't really explain it to her so that she would understand.
cool man, I'm not tvless myself but crikey (dang) that option isn't looking far off, we have to pay £160 upfront yearly for a 'tv license' so its a big ask for what is essentially drivel

About how I am Jan and it doesn't worry me the slightest.

Ken

Latest posts