Ford invents cable

Help Support CattleToday:

100 miles on a charge. Well if I head west to town I can make one round trip on a charge with some left over but not two trips. Head east to town and I won't make it back to the house. These things might work for some people but they sure wouldn't work for me.
Gotta throw a generator in the trunk to make you some electricity….or pull a trailer with an extra set of batteries. If you keep the generator you could charge the dead ones on the way back…

Yeah, big circle jerk.

To make owning an EV pencil out you would need to generate your own power via solar. There would be big draw on the grid on cloudy days though.

Ken

To make owning an EV pencil out you would need to generate your own power via solar. There would be big draw on the grid on cloudy days though.

Ken
you should look up EEVblog on youtube, he's an aussie electronics engineer, he just got an EV, and upgraded his solar system.. pretty slick

Silver, from what I read on a full charge the batteries can provide inside heat for something like 30 hours..of course if you get stuck and you only had 10% battery life that could be a problem, but the same people would be in trouble because they run out of fuel too

No doubt, the electric vehicles are more energy efficient than the internal combustion vehicles. The gas fired vehicles exhaust hot air (BTU's) as well as generating heat from braking - both wasted energy from burning fuel. So a much smaller per cent of the consumed energy goes into moving the vehicle with the rest wasted heating up the air. The electric vehicles recharge the batteries when braking instead of generating as much heat and don't have the hot air exhaust. And fossil fuel is a limited supply that does not renew. But, it is obviously easier so far to store mega BTU's in a fuel tank than in an equal volume battery. I suspect the bigger challenge is all the infrastructure needed to generate and deliver the electricity to quickly recharge all those batteries once all vehicles are electric. The article in the original post mentions charging at 500 to 2500 amps to allow for a quick charge. Tesla batteries are currently in the 300 to 400 volt range according to what I read. Who has electrical service at their house that can deliver those amps at those voltages? Nobody that I know, so charging will be slower. Where will those megawatts come from? Solar and wind capacity? I can't see having enough capacity there within the mentioned time frames that the government and auto industry are working toward. Hydro capacity - I don't see that increasing even though it is some of the lowest cost electricity we have. Nuclear? Seems like the best possibility, but recent nuclear projects are so far over budget and schedule that they are being scrapped before completion. Think of all the fuels pumps at all the gas stations where a gas "recharge" takes a couple of minutes. Now think about that quantity of charging stations where it takes hours to recharge. Fairly easy for those who travel relatively short distances and return home each night for an overnight charge. But long distance commuters, traveling on vacation, over the road truckers - some challenges there.
No doubt, the vehicles can be built. I hope "they" have a plan for all the electrical generation and delivery.
IF there were a standard for voltage, connections and size, maybe the battery packs could just be changed out at the "gas station" with a forklift and you could quickly be on you way instead of searching for a charging station for your particular vehicle and then waiting hours for the charge to finish. I sure hope "they" are working on all those plans instead of just the vehicles.

Ford very recently (late Oct 2021) released availability of it's 'Eluminator" 281 hp electric car 'crate motor'. No controls or battery but they showcased the motor in a customized all wheel drive '78 F-100. 1 motor per axle ,$3900 each. Total HP=480hp/634 ft/lbs torque. As of Nov 10,Ford said they had already 'sold out' of the motors.
sold out

1978f100 electric

The power provider for our county seat has set a rate of $.37 kwh for stand alone charging stations. Either my math is off or gas is going to have to get higher before this begins to look attractive.

Latest posts