Can your daughter cut up a chicken?

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie":h7jgtfrr said:
I worked with a guy who got fighting mad if you said 4 and 7/16 inches. He did not use 16ths. 7/16 was "3/8's plus" to him. 9/16's was "1/2 plus" etc.

I never got used to it.

Drove the oldest grandson nuts building a root rake.
I would hand him a tape in 1/8's next time in 16th's or 32nds.

fenceman":252uu40n said:
I find it interesting how many jumped up to say their son could read a tape measure.
Only one has said their daughter could butcher a chicken

I hated cutting chickens as a butcher you spend half your apprenticeship cutting chickens and grinding hamburger.
Chickens would come packed in crates of ice your hands would freeze off.
When I made journeyman I cut my last chicken.
We used to screw the housewife's to death with family pack chicken.
Take the chicken and cut it on an angle so it had all the back and a little piece of the breast on one half,
then put the other wing in the pack with two other halves cut the same along with the giblets.
Then we take the side that was mostly breast a thigh and leg and part them out for sale.

We butchered chickens growing up and I hated it! I had to dip the chicken in the hot water and pluck! Hated the smell...

We have some great Amish gals out here that will do it for $1.25 a bird, and the bird comes back in a nice bag all done. I like it that way!

The wife thinks she could do it, but she doesn't remember anything being taught by her mother. It was her grandmother that showed her those things. (Don't guess it matters cause all we buy are breasts.) She has no girls and I know the boys don't have a clue. Guess I should have taught them and I'm pretty sure my daughter doesn't have a clue. He!!, my daughter doesn't hardly cook unless it's out of a box or can.

Fire Sweep Ranch":7j92fobu said:
We butchered chickens growing up and I hated it! I had to dip the chicken in the hot water and pluck! Hated the smell...

We have some great Amish gals out here that will do it for $1.25 a bird, and the bird comes back in a nice bag all done. I like it that way!

I always hated cleaning chickens too. My father and I raised rabbits for a while. Much better. Three times easier to clean than a chicken, and taste at least as good; maybe better.

Yes she can! This Mom taught her how to do it. She watched me do one and I had her do the other one. Then came the lesson in frying them.

She hates the butchering part. Always ran through the house screaming when I did the turkeys.

my daughter is only 3 months old so i doubt she could do it.

i have a butchering table, sink and kill cones.

they'll learn how to do it as soon as they can.. trust me :)

my son is almost 3 and he's out helping me build things and run the cows everyday.

ddd75":xk3gb65c said:
my daughter is only 3 months old so i doubt she could do it.

i have a butchering table, sink and kill cones.

they'll learn how to do it as soon as they can.. trust me :)

my son is almost 3 and he's out helping me build things and run the cows everyday.

Congratulations on your family and wish you well and much success!!!!

I am ashamed to say that I cannot cut up a chicken. I watched my mother and grandmother cut them up, but never had the stomach to try to learn. Therefore, my daughter never learned to cut one up either. When I cook chicken, I usually buy a package of just breasts. I do not cook much now since it is just two of us. I used to cook every day when Mama was still living at home and I carried lunch to her. Right now I just don't have much interest in it and my cholesterol is high so that does not help much either.

Woman at the post office told me that they have high school graduates who come in and have no idea how to address or mail a letter, where to put the stamp or even that they have to buy one. One kid was surprised that it didn't cost a few dollars to mail a letter.

This talk about cutting up a chicken harkens me back to my youth when my saturday chore was to kill a chicken and draw it. To this day the smell of bird guts makes me hate chickens.

Latest posts