can you tell if there pregnant without a palp

Help Support CattleToday:

Billdevaul

Reaction score
I have a heffer I AI'd 62 days ago and I have not seen any real visible signs of heat but I am not that experienced that I would know for sure unless it was real obvious... without a vet checking how can I tell if she took or not? any suggestions are welcome... Thanks :cboy:

Wait another 7 months and see if she calves. :p

The vet check is the best.

put an estrus alert ($1) on her. if it turns red, she isnt bred.

(you will need another cow to be with her to assist in test implementation)

use the BioPRYN pregnancy test. they can tell you pretty easily for under $5.

http://5barx.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1284

If you know your animals behaviorisms then you usually can tell.But not all change.I have cows that I can tell 2 weeks after they are bred because they completely change.One becomes a real sweetheart and lovres to be scratched when you usually can't get near her and another one who is always the most agreeable in the herd and never into any trouble becomes a total B**** and opens gates on her own and gets into all sort of trouble.Most of my heifers just kind of calm right down when they are bred.

We use Biopryn (sp?).
Anything after 30 days bred. Draw 2cc's of blood, put it in the mail (see there website or ask us for instructions) and usually within 48-72 hours of them recieving my samples I have results.
I love it. Hasn't been off so far. $2.50 ish cents a cow. Can't have the vet come out for that. They do any ruminant animal. We send our goats blood for testing as well.
The part I really like is I can draw the blood anytime I want and mail it the next day. You don't have to put it on ice or anything fancy.
We will never go back to having the vet out. Hope this helps.
Double R Ranch

http://www.biotracking.com

double r... I contacted them about the testing and yer right it's 2.50 per cow. I also called my vet and he will supply me with the needed vacuum tubes etc for the blood draw for less than 5 bucks.. sounds like a good deal to me .. Ill be sending hers off to them tommorow.. Thanks fer the great info... :cboy:

Billdevaul":1sa8t3fd said:
double r... I contacted them about the testing and yer right it's 2.50 per cow. I also called my vet and he will supply me with the needed vacuum tubes etc for the blood draw for less than 5 bucks.. sounds like a good deal to me .. Ill be sending hers off to them tommorow.. Thanks fer the great info... :cboy:

That is great! I am so glad we were able to help. It just makes sense for our opereation. Plus it is so much more accurate. Hope it all works out for you. If you have anymore questions like where to draw blood feel free to ask.
Toodles,
Double R

We do under the tail just please be careful with no squeeze you can get kicked. Place panels beside her or something. The tail is by far the quickest and easiest place to draw blood in my opinion.
Feel free to ask anymore questions.
Double R

P.S. If you decide you like doing your preg. testing this way you might want to buy your tubes via a distributor. It is about $20 for 100 tubes last time I bough them.

cowboyup216":ktiqzb74 said:
Yeah you can tell if they are pregnant without palp. But not for a while into their gestation. For some reason and to this day I dont know how he does it my father(who has been in the cattle business 45 years) can tell if a cow is bred or not about 3-4 months into the pregnancy. He says there is a calf in there. Im like how do you know. He says i can tell. Still wont tell me how he knows. Thus far he has been dead on every single time he has said it.
I don't want to be the one to tell you, but ask him if he watches the pancreas gland, it gets bigger. By the third or fourth month it starts showing good. Ask him if he can tell if its a heifer or bull calf. I'm not going to give you a clue on that one. We need to learn from the old timers. Practice what they teach you and be sure to pass it on. We don't need no fancy machines, drugs and patches. They cost money.

I don't want to be the one to tell you, but ask him if he watches the pancreas gland, it gets bigger. By the third or fourth month it starts showing good.

I am very interested in peasant wisdom and how the oldtimers observed their cattle, but this is a first for me, can you elaborate please?

The biotracking test is great. We use it and have been nothing but pleased with the results. Way better than hauling to the vet or having a vet out.

We bought supplies (vaccutainer tubes and needles) in quantity of 100 I think. Cost comes to may $1.00 per cow tested.

PM me if you need a supplier.

Farmgirl

Latest posts