Can you spray RoundUp on new seed?

Help Support CattleToday:

Steve Wilson

Reaction score
I intend to no till drill some Reed Canary Grass, Timothy and Red Clover this weekend. Fingers crossed that the weather forecast is wrong and it doesn't rain Saturday and Sunday as predicted. This is a burned off pasture that has sprouted back in the past month. I'm thinking that RoundUp will only kill actively growing plants and will not affect seeds on the ground that get sprayed. I want to wait a week after I seed to spray the field. Letting the existing grasses get that much more in gear and be able to take up the herbicide.

The canary grass will be in the front box of the Great Plains Solid Stand drill, set at 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep. The clover and timothy will mostly spill out on the surface from the back, small seed box and be mashed in by the press wheels.

It is drying now, first sunshine we have seen in weeks. With no rain, I don't see any reason not to plant this weekend. You all make the call, will the glyso affect any seeds left on the surface of the soil? I don't think it will.

Many thanks,

No it won't hurt seed. But if you are going to wait I'd be careful waiting too long cause around here seed will normally come up in 7-10 days and you could kill some young sprouts if you are not careful.

Jogeephus":1tt4n9tp said:
No it won't hurt seed. But if you are going to wait I'd be careful waiting too long cause around here seed will normally come up in 7-10 days and you could kill some young sprouts if you are not careful.
Agree as I have done the same thing. I would not go the full 7 to 10 days just in case.

Latest posts