Can you irrigate 10 acres?

Help Support CattleToday:

1982vett":9u87jstv said:
dun":9u87jstv said:
By the time you get to 5 hp you're probably looking at 240v.
I'd think the cost of the wire to run any distance would be astronomical. Need more than 10 acres to spread that cost around.
Pretty much my thoughts unless they already have the generator.

Red Lion makes 2 different 5.5hp pumps. One is the RLGF multi-purpose utility pump. The other, the one you need for sprinklers is the RLCGF centrifugal pressure pump. Hopefully you have the pressure pump.

1982vett":1lyw2ejr said:
dun":1lyw2ejr said:
By the time you get to 5 hp you're probably looking at 240v.
I'd think the cost of the wire to run any distance would be astronomical. Need more than 10 acres to spread that cost around.
Yea, i wasn't thinking about that as my pond in only 100 ft behind the house and is at the high point of the farm.

Depending on the elevation you may be able to syphon and use the drip system. With enough elevation you will have enough head to run a sprinkler.
You can install a pipe through the dam and use a small auxiliary pump at the field to boost the pressure if needed.
The vertical weight gain for every 10 feet of drop from the lake is approx. 54 lbs. if you run a 4" pipe. (4.3 psi x pi x 2"^2 = 54 lbs approximately, static pressure) This pressure will reduce the hp needed at the bottom. Of course a reduction in pipe size would be needed.
Picture your lake as a water tower as used and seen for public water systems, or cisterns used on wind mills.

^ I have thought about that, but the drop is not enough to generate much pressure, probably less than 10 feet. What i am trying to do is us the existing 1 1/4 " water line to deliver the irrigation just for a few days each year. Just want to be sure that an electric pump is the best choice. And if it is why would it not be better for a larger system as well. It seems to me that if the distance to power is reasonable, that electric would normally be the best choice, from an operating cost perspective.

To size your pipe, know your pressure volume, sprinkler head choice, and how may zones or heads you can use there is a must for certain information. Elevation and distance are mandatory. So before calling a pro have these facts known.
The pod system mentioned above is great as far as what users have said locally. After getting the info together you may want to give ATS a call. They are great people to deal with. I called them a few minutes ago and invited them to join the boards. Hope they will.

Most of the irrigation systems I have used were electric. However this was mostly on veg and there is more money involved, and many of these systems are looking at being able to supply 100 acre inches in 24hrs upwards.

The factors are many, as has been said before, bringing in power being key.

With veg etc sometimes the need to not have a big desiel motor fail in the middle of a heat wave, or to avoid noise electric is sometimes made to work even when the figures are against it.

Getting profesinal advice is a good idea before spending a lot of $$

1wlimo":32oabs00 said:
Most of the irrigation systems I have used were electric. However this was mostly on veg and there is more money involved, and many of these systems are looking at being able to supply 100 acre inches in 24hrs upwards.

I think I can use some new Solar technology to cover that aspect.................:) I might be wrong ...........but I think it might be doable.

Kingfisher":bjd9cu7v said:
1wlimo":bjd9cu7v said:

I think I can use some new Solar technology to cover that aspect.................:) I might be wrong ...........but I think it might be doable.

Would you keep us up to date on your results with solar? I have several areas where it would be too $$ to run electric, and solar seems viable, but the more I read, the more confused I get. (But then, I'm easily confused...deep blonde roots some days)

There are quite a few cattle watering systems on the market now. There are a few about here and people seam happy with them.

They have pumps with 1/4 to 1/2 hp. So if you wanted to irrigate then I guess 2 hp should not be too unreasonable.

1wlimo":4pz19apl said:
There are quite a few cattle watering systems on the market now. There are a few about here and people seam happy with them.

They have pumps with 1/4 to 1/2 hp. So if you wanted to irrigate then I guess 2 hp should not be too unreasonable.

I'm not trying to water cattle............i'm trying to grow grass.........:)

Yes Kingfisher I know

I may be a little stressed here. I have been calving since January, and my Boss had me book trucks today to ship the whole lot to the sale barn on the 30th

I was reading up on solar over the winter. I may be of more use to you after the 30th

1wlimo":123h77ef said:
Yes Kingfisher I know

I may be a little stressed here. I have been calving since January, and my Boss had me book trucks today to ship the whole lot to the sale barn on the 30th

I was reading up on solar over the winter. I may be of more use to you after the 30th

:) No worries...........ya'll getting decent money for your cattle? I have to look at the " slip" tomorrow....but
I think from what my buddy told me on the phone earlier today...........he got hosed 2 weeks ago on some cattle. He would have done much better just selling em private treaty or ??? We took two good looking heavy pairs to a barn that he had pregnancy tested. They split em............and the calves did fair $1.15 plus is what I remember but a big heavy Red momma cow sold for like 70cents.............that just seems weak..........especially if she was bred back. Looks like I got more studying to do.....

Well as I will not get to see the cash...................

I had to just pull a calf out of a heifer so while she rests I found out that you can deffinatly get a solar pump to pump all the water you are going to use.
Try these guys http://www.lorentz.de/en/distribution/n ... mpany.html

no prices on their site, and you need more info like volume (gallons/minute), water head required etc.

May be they need a sales man? well as one door closes and onther is opening some where, just need to find it.

Latest posts