Can you irrigate 10 acres?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher

Reaction score
and not go broke? I just don't know why folks don't irrigate much around here.............I know what I'm thinking about doing
and I suppose it all starts with the right piece of property. Do any of ya'll irrigate ? What has been your experience? Thanks in advance.

I used to irrigate with a small water reel type irrigator. I did use a boom instead of a gun as this reduces droplet size and there for damage to soil.
Pros of such a stystem are that they can been reasonalbe cost wise to set up, can be used from a pond, or I have irrigated from a semi tanker, or well point.

Cons, labour required to move and potential water loss of 60%. Best to irrigate at night, and with a low wind speed.

1wlimo":1xinwz9b said:
I used to irrigate with a small water reel type irrigator. I did use a boom instead of a gun as this reduces droplet size and there for damage to soil.
Pros of such a stystem are that they can been reasonalbe cost wise to set up, can be used from a pond, or I have irrigated from a semi tanker, or well point.

Cons, labour required to move and potential water loss of 60%. Best to irrigate at night, and with a low wind speed.

I want to try something along this line...............http://nc.water.usgs.gov/projects/tile_drains/

Kingfisher":3ra9qqhf said:
1wlimo":3ra9qqhf said:

I want to try something along this line...............http://nc.water.usgs.gov/projects/tile_drains/
The site you led us to is a drainage system.
There are sub surface drip irrigation systems available. We have used them in flowerbeds gardens and the like. Row crop farmers have used them. I see no reason for them not to work in a pasture or hay field.

I do 5 acres. 2 hp pump. Get some cheap impact sprinkler heads, put T posts in the ground, and wire tie heads to the top of the t post. I can do 4 heads at once. Biggest pain is moving the hoses around. The water shoots about 80 ft circles, so I got quite a few out there. But it beats losing the field to drought.the grass in areas the sprinklers don't reach have almost disppaeared into the sand. I don't want to think about what the whole field would look like if I hadn't done this

hooknline":1jcx2uez said:
I do 5 acres. 2 hp pump. Get some cheap impact sprinkler heads, put T posts in the ground, and wire tie heads to the top of the t post. I can do 4 heads at once. Biggest pain is moving the hoses around. The water shoots about 80 ft circles, so I got quite a few out there. But it beats losing the field to drought.the grass in areas the sprinklers don't reach have almost disppaeared into the sand. I don't want to think about what the whole field would look like if I hadn't done this

This is something i have been looking at as well. Do you use an electric pump? I have time of use billing on my electric bill and it really looks to me like off peak rates of 3 or 4 cents per KW on the weekends would be cost effective. I have a well system to water the cows and thought about adding a shallow well pump in the pond that could be switched over an use the same pipe for irrigation. I would concertrate on establishing winter annuals in the fall during drought.

Right now I use an electric pump, but when the pond gets dug, I'm going to use a 5 hp water pump from TSC and pull out of the pond when necessary

Kingfisher":1mh4wvjo said:
1wlimo":1mh4wvjo said:

These in NC are either for drainage or for irrigation. The difference is the soil in that area is totally organic. It will soak up the water and move it a good distance across the field. The soil is from draining the Dismal Swamp years ago and when very dry it will burn several feet deep.

hooknline":2d017m3m said:
Right now I use an electric pump, but when the pond gets dug, I'm going to use a 5 hp water pump from TSC and pull out of the pond when necessary

Is that because you don't have access to power at the pond?

No, its because the 5 hp pump would push way more water than the 2hp, and that means less work moving hoses and such

hooknline":2mrmya1d said:
No, its because the 5 hp pump would push way more water than the 2hp, and that means less work moving hoses and such

Forgive my ignorance, but what about a 5 hp electric? Is there such a thing

There are 220v 5 hp pumps out there, but I would think most would be 240 3phase. Not sure. I was in TSC yesterday and they have impact sprinklers that fit over the top of t posts and have thumb screws to secure them. But Ace hardware has 2 packs of el cheapo heads for 8 bucks.

If your thinking about using a gas powered pump buy one thats made for pressure, and not just volume. Been there done that. :dunce: Just my :2cents:

Highgrit is correct about the pump,

also it is best to buy the biggest bore pipe you can afford and still be able to move as required. The smaller the bore the harder your pump has to work, and the less preasure you have at your sprinklers.

Lay flat from the pump along the feild side and then plastic from there to your spinklers maybe. I was using 6 or 4 inch main.

It was not uncommon with even just a mile of main, and a few feet of elivation to lose several bar.

dun":3askdana said:
By the time you get to 5 hp you're probably looking at 240v.
I'd think the cost of the wire to run any distance would be astronomical. Need more than 10 acres to spread that cost around.

Latest posts