Can you afford to operate the same old way?

Help Support CattleToday:

kjonesel

Reaction score
With the recent posts about the high cost of replacement heifers I believe we should all look at our operations and look for areas of improvement. In my operation I will be looking at reducing my number of days open, I know this one is difficult since I am 100% AI and my electrical contracting business has been very hectic along with my son leaving for college. Maybe synchronizing will be an option?
Nutrition, I have been wanting to use a better mineral than the off the shelf mix from Rural King, maybe McNess is now worth its cost?
Pasture improvement I incorporated alfalfa into 40 acres of my pasture and it sure made for awesome weight gains in my calf crop. This year I started using turkey litter and it was the best value in the way of fertilizer. But I have 100's of poultry houses within 25 miles of me something that may not be an option to everyone. Soil tests - always the best investment to begin with.
Resist the temptation to become greedy and try to hang onto a cow that really should be culled, they could die or the prices could plummet next year.
Parasite control, I purchase three easy way cattle oilers / mineral feeders this past year and eliminated my pinkeye. I know I should review my wormer choice and schedule.
Vaccinations I need to review my program and make sure that I am getting the best program I can have. It hurts more when they are worth so much.
These are just a few anyone have some others?

Excellent question. Technicaly, I'm not doing anything any different. I do know, if a spread sheet all my expenses, depreciation, and fertilizer are my two biggest expenses. Been looking at getting those two down for years, and haven't. I went with the slow release urea this year, and no p and k. Soil test didn't call for much anyway. I thought that was really working. Grass was green as could be. I'm second guessing that now. I think I got green color with little growth. Might be my imagination.

Like you I think cows that don't breed back on time are one of the worst money losers there is. Sometimes I am bad about giving them second chances or as some people say the "1 more calf syndrome".

I think there better choices for mineral than the stuff at Rural King. We tested more hay than ever this year to try to help with winter nutrition, going to supplement a little more to avoid them losing so much condition.

Our biggest expense is fertilizer and chicken litter, we try to use soil tests to only do what is needed. My uncle always said grass was the cheapest and best feed there was.

Sounds like you are doing a good job of optimizing your cow/calf operation.
Bigger question is are you in the right business(es).
I would consider selling breeding stock if you have been 100% AI for a while.

I forgot about the value of forage testing, I know on some alfalfa I custom baled they showed me the test results and they did vary a lot. I have held back bulls and we were able to sell our first fullblood to a man who had straight angus. He had knowledge of the balancer combination and is expecting calves in March. I have one going back into Jim Lewis's herd and I have held back some this year. On our heifers we are still in the expansion phase for another year or so. Jim Lewis had stock for sale for years and moves only a minimal amount. Our area has been in a decline for the past 8 years due to droughts and high cash rent prices. That may reverse next year though.
This past year we did improve some of our equipment for cattle and I am working on running water lines across the farm to get away from having ponds as backup.
I put the battery in the charger and will work on some pictures.

"Can you afford to operate the same old way.?"
I say no. The way I look at it is now that profits are up a portion of that should be used to improve facilities and improve the overall production of your animals. For those that have everything already in place it doesn't mean much. I operate in cash only so when there ain't a lot of cash they ain't a lot of upgrades. Biggest improvement this year is I've started creeping my calves. That alone will be very profitable. I can see marked improvment. Next I will start implantson calves.

I'm the same way on cash only. I slip some new money in but I will never borrow for cattle. In 40 years in this area all those who have borrowed for cattle have went out of business. The most boisterous was the Gibson's of Eastern Livestock fame.

Bigfoot":18ktduhc said:
Excellent question. Technicaly, I'm not doing anything any different. I do know, if a spread sheet all my expenses, depreciation, and fertilizer are my two biggest expenses. Been looking at getting those two down for years, and haven't. I went with the slow release urea this year, and no p and k. Soil test didn't call for much anyway. I thought that was really working. Grass was green as could be. I'm second guessing that now. I think I got green color with little growth. Might be my imagination.

Fertilizer is definitely an expense you want to control but I wouldn't worry about depreciation. Depreciation is more of an accounting expense as opposed to an actual one. If anything,.that's the expense you want to keep/increase since it will lower your taxable income

Controlling weeds with spraying is something I've done more of the last couple of years, since the money to do it has been there. I can definitely tell that it's paying off with added grass production, which of course allows for higher stocking rates or less supplemental feeding.

I'm also planning to do more creep feeding.

We are excited that a egg factory has picked our town to build in. They are putting in a 2 million chicken facility and will be operational next year. For years we've fertilized sparingly due to prices, on cows and how much they now want for fertilizer. You can get chicken litter, but its not cheap either and you have to line up someone to truck it in and someone to spread it. With this plant just miles away and 2 million chickens 24/7...the owners promise the litter to local people first. We plan to invest in the trailers and equipment to spread it ourselves. Kind of exciting that these two things happen at once, high calf prices and low easy to obtain fertilizer. They will also have egg shells...Now, if i can find where i can order rain, we are set!

cowgirl8":95f6zlrd said:
TexasBred":95f6zlrd said:
Egg shells?? :shock:
http://www.agronext.iastate.edu/soilfer ... l-lime.pdf
this was just a quick search...i'm sure more can be found..
They are definitely calcium..never doubted that. Just wondering how long it takes for them to actually be utilized by the soil as apposed to good ag-lime that is proven and how many truck loads it takes to add up to a ton.

ostie":3iqe5r5x said:
Bigfoot":3iqe5r5x said:

Fertilizer is definitely an expense you want to control but I wouldn't worry about depreciation. Depreciation is more of an accounting expense as opposed to an actual one. If anything,.that's the expense you want to keep/increase since it will lower your taxable income

I should have said equipment cost. Depreciation is my best friend :) .

i used to raise all of my reg heifers.but since reg heifer prices have gone through the roof.i now sell a few and keep the new bloodlines coming from cows im buying.

I was just looking tonight and am thinking about maybe selling some pairs next spring. I have been told that sometimes they are an excellent way to market a 7-8 year old cow with the purchaser able to generate income shortly thereafter. Its something I've not done before

I have sold a few older cows that were on the border of being culls in the next couple years and bought some young cows with that money. I too am going to start spraying weeds. I bought a 3 point 200 gallon sprayer and feel that I can really improve my grass which is what my money and efforts will go toward now. I'm new to the game but in the last 18 months I've put together what I feel is a good set of cows with a good bull. My facilities and fences are good so now its time for improving the forage.

kjonesel":2s95ez51 said:
I was just looking tonight and am thinking about maybe selling some pairs next spring. I have been told that sometimes they are an excellent way to market a 7-8 year old cow with the purchaser able to generate income shortly thereafter. Its something I've not done before

I just bought some of those.

Latest posts